emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Month-week and quarter-week datetrees (RFC and package announcement)
@ 2023-12-30 19:41 Jack Kamm
From: Jack Kamm @ 2023-12-30 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have started a package that defines org-capture datetrees following
year-quarter-week and year-month-week formats:

https://gitlab.com/jackkamm/org-grouped-weektree

I'd appreciate feedback on 2 points:

1. Are any of these datetree formats worth upstreaming into org-mode
   proper?

2. Can we add a public interface for `org-datetree--find-create', and
   are there any suggestions on how to do it?

Regarding #2, an ugly aspect of my current implementation is the abuse
of the private function `org-datetree--find-create'. I also pass in
the week or quarter for the DAY and MONTH arguments of this function,
though I note that `org-datetree-find-iso-week-create' does something
similar in its implementation.

* Re: Month-week and quarter-week datetrees (RFC and package announcement)
@ 2023-12-31 14:50 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-12-31 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Kamm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jack Kamm <jackkamm@gmail.com> writes:

> https://gitlab.com/jackkamm/org-grouped-weektree
>
> I'd appreciate feedback on 2 points:
>
> 1. Are any of these datetree formats worth upstreaming into org-mode
>    proper?

That would make sense.

> 2. Can we add a public interface for `org-datetree--find-create', and
>    are there any suggestions on how to do it?
>
> Regarding #2, an ugly aspect of my current implementation is the abuse
> of the private function `org-datetree--find-create'. I also pass in
> the week or quarter for the DAY and MONTH arguments of this function,
> though I note that `org-datetree-find-iso-week-create' does something
> similar in its implementation.

The API of `org-datetree--find-create' is generally very limiting.
It would be nice to come up with something less limiting.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Month-week and quarter-week datetrees (RFC and package announcement)
@ 2023-12-31 18:16   ` Jack Kamm
From: Jack Kamm @ 2023-12-31 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> https://gitlab.com/jackkamm/org-grouped-weektree
>>
>> I'd appreciate feedback on 2 points:
>>
>> 1. Are any of these datetree formats worth upstreaming into org-mode
>>    proper?
>
> That would make sense.
>
>> 2. Can we add a public interface for `org-datetree--find-create', and
>>    are there any suggestions on how to do it?
>>
>> Regarding #2, an ugly aspect of my current implementation is the abuse
>> of the private function `org-datetree--find-create'. I also pass in
>> the week or quarter for the DAY and MONTH arguments of this function,
>> though I note that `org-datetree-find-iso-week-create' does something
>> similar in its implementation.
>
> The API of `org-datetree--find-create' is generally very limiting.
> It would be nice to come up with something less limiting.

Thanks for the feedback -- I'll start working on something along these
lines.  Though this might take me a little while since the holiday is
ending soon :''-(