emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-mode as software for Team/Project Management: several issues
@ 2007-05-04  7:50 Ruslan Kosolapov
From: Ruslan Kosolapov @ 2007-05-04  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I need to plan my team work.  I have tried a lot of software, and the
best way I found is wiki using.  Joel Spolsky recommends Excel for
project planning, but Excel (and model of table processors at general)
is not usable for me - I prefer hierarchical lists.

org-mode is pretty good for me, but there are several issues which
blocks my attemts to migrate to org-mode.

First - I unable to found how I can export Agenda views to html.  I
can export to html only file with task description.  But I need tasks
ordered by deadline date, not "as-I-wrote" order.

Second - I want to see month view in Agenda, not only week view.  It
will be very useful to have ability to specify date interval for
Agenda view.  Export to ical can solve this by third-party tools (btw,
Outlook unable to open ical-file, but I not detect reason of problem
yet), but native solution will be useful for me.

Third, most important.  I should be able to present timeline with
deadlines for each task (it is a corporate standard :) ).
In real life plans developed as the following:
  Task1, 4 hours, begin at 2007-05-04
  Task2, 2 hours
  Task3, 1day

Obviously I can calculate deadlines for Task2 and Task3 according to
durations and Task1 start (assuming end of Task1 is a start of Task2
and so on).  But if I can do it, why emacs can not?

I will be happy with the following syntax:
*** NEW Task 1 description IDENTIFIER(task1_id)
    SCHEDULED: <2007-05-04 Птн>    DEADLINE: <task1_id.SCHEDULED+4h>
*** NEW Task 2 description IDENTIFIER(task2_id)
    DEADLINE: <task1_id.DEADLINE+4h>
*** NEW Task 3 description IDENTIFIER(task3_id)
    DEADLINE: <task2_id.DEADLINE+1d>

As far as I understand module for tables calculation already exists,
so, my wish can be implemented by text areas which works like table
cells and have its own identifiers.

Аnybody can suggest something?

PS: sorry for my bad english.

--
Ruslan Kosolapov
Plesk QA Department Second Manager

* RE: org-mode as software for Team/Project Management: severalissues
@ 2007-05-07  7:30 ` Egli Christian (KIRO 43)
From: Egli Christian (KIRO 43) @ 2007-05-07  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

 Hi Ruslan

> I need to plan my team work.  I have tried a lot of software, and the
> best way I found is wiki using.  Joel Spolsky recommends Excel for
> project planning, but Excel (and model of table processors at general)
> is not usable for me - I prefer hierarchical lists.

> org-mode is pretty good for me, but there are several issues which
> blocks my attemts to migrate to org-mode.

Your list of requirements is quite impressive. I don't know how easy it
is to adapt
org-mode to fulfill all your needs. You might want to look at
taskjuggler (www.taskjuggler.org).
It doesn't have the wiki feel to it but it features text based entry,
all the project planing tools you could possibly need, export to html
and ical, handles resources and tasks, etc. It also seems to come with a
special emacs mode.

HTH

Christian

* Re: org-mode as software for Team/Project Management: severalissues
@ 2007-05-08 10:36   ` Ruslan Kosolapov
From: Ruslan Kosolapov @ 2007-05-08 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

 >> I need to plan my team work.  I have tried a lot of software, and
 >> the best way I found is wiki using.
 >> org-mode is pretty good for me, but there are several issues which
 >> blocks my attemts to migrate to org-mode.
 EC> Your list of requirements is quite impressive. I don't know how
 EC> easy it is to adapt org-mode to fulfill all your needs.

  Third problem (ability to use formulas in deadline) is a main
  problem.  Other issues are not critical.

 EC> You might want to look at taskjuggler (www.taskjuggler.org).  It
 EC> doesn't have the wiki feel to it but it features text based
 EC> entry, all the project planing tools you could possibly need,
 EC> export to html and ical, handles resources and tasks, etc. It
 EC> also seems to come with a special emacs mode.

  Taskjuggler was a first variant which I choose to migrate on :)
  I dont like it.

  Thnx for response anyway :)

--
Ruslan Kosolapov