emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-mode from git and emacs in trunk
@ 2010-01-18 23:16 Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-01-18 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I am trying the new emacs develop version in trunk.  I
build org-mode from git as usual.  But I just realized I am
actually using the org-mode bundled with emacs instead of
the version I installed from git.  My configuration files
are the same before and after I switched to bzr version of
emacs.

Here is what I see.  After starting emacs,

GNU Emacs 23.1.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.5) of 2010-01-18

I check the org-version to be

Org-mode version 6.33x

I need to run "org-reload" to make org-version to be

Org-mode version 6.34c

But restarting emacs gives me back the "6.33x".  What is the
problem?  Of course I have put my installed org-mode
directory to 'load-path and I have the line "(require
'org-install)" in my "~/.emacs".  It worked before 23.1 and
was working for me with 23.1, but not with the current
trunk.  Is there something I am missing?  Some additional
setup I should do?

Right now, I am doing "org-reload" every time I start emacs.
Should I put it in my "~/.emacs"?  It seems to me quite
unnecessary, but it is the only way to load my latest
org-mode working.

Is anyone seeing the same problem?

--
 J    c/*    __o/*
 X    <\     * (__

* Re: org-mode from git and emacs in trunk
@ 2010-01-19 15:03 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-19 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 19, 2010, at 12:16 AM, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

> Hi, I am trying the new emacs develop version in trunk.  I
> build org-mode from git as usual.  But I just realized I am
> actually using the org-mode bundled with emacs instead of
> the version I installed from git.  My configuration files
> are the same before and after I switched to bzr version of
> emacs.
>
> Here is what I see.  After starting emacs,
>
> GNU Emacs 23.1.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.5)
> of 2010-01-18
>
> I check the org-version to be
>
> Org-mode version 6.33x
>
> I need to run "org-reload" to make org-version to be
>
> Org-mode version 6.34c
>
> But restarting emacs gives me back the "6.33x".  What is the
> problem?  Of course I have put my installed org-mode
> directory to 'load-path and I have the line "(require
> 'org-install)" in my "~/.emacs".  It worked before 23.1 and
> was working for me with 23.1, but not with the current
> trunk.  Is there something I am missing?  Some additional
> setup I should do?

Most likely, when you start Emacs, you have something in your config
that will load org.el *before* you have added path of Org-mode's
git distribution to the load path.  Then you add to the
load-path variable, so when you reload, the new version
is loaded instead.

Solution:  Move up the lisp statement that adds org-mode's
lisp directory to load-path.

HTH

- Carsten

> Right now, I am doing "org-reload" every time I start emacs.
> Should I put it in my "~/.emacs"?  It seems to me quite
> unnecessary, but it is the only way to load my latest
> org-mode working.
>
> Is anyone seeing the same problem?
>
> --
> J    c/*    __o/*
> X    <\     * (__
> Y    */\      <

- Carsten

* Re: org-mode from git and emacs in trunk
@ 2010-01-19 16:02   ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-01-19 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Most likely, when you start Emacs, you have something in your config
> that will load org.el *before* you have added path of Org-mode's
> git distribution to the load path.  Then you add to the
> load-path variable, so when you reload, the new version
> is loaded instead.

> Solution:  Move up the lisp statement that adds org-mode's
> lisp directory to load-path.

Thanks for the guidance!  It turns out that nxhtml is the
intruder that required org.el before I had the chance to
change the load path.  I overlooked the elisp package
dependence.  Problem solved.  Thank you again for the good
work.

--