emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* confused about logging
@ 2010-04-13  0:10 Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2010-04-13  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have a repeating task, like so:

*** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
    SCHEDULED: <2010-03-09 Tue ++1w>

I would like to have things set so that when I change the todo state,
and the schedule advances, then there will not be any logging done.

However, with org-log-repeat, org-log-done, and org-log-done-with-time
all set to nil (indeed, it appears all org-log-X vars are set to nil),
I get a timestamp in a property drawer when I advance the schedule, like
so:

*** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
    SCHEDULED: <2010-04-13 Tue ++1w>
    :PROPERTIES:
    :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-04-12 Mon 20:06]
    :END:

This happens with an emacs environment started with emacs -q, and a file
that contains only the above entry.

I don't need or want such information recorded. But I don't know how to
stop it, and I don't know where else to look for the responsible
variable.

Any hints?

Thanks,

Dan

--
Dan Griswold
Rochester, NY

* Re: confused about logging
@ 2010-04-13  0:55 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-13  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a repeating task, like so:
>
> *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
>     SCHEDULED: <2010-03-09 Tue ++1w>
>
> I would like to have things set so that when I change the todo state,
> and the schedule advances, then there will not be any logging done.
>
> However, with org-log-repeat, org-log-done, and org-log-done-with-time
> all set to nil (indeed, it appears all org-log-X vars are set to nil),
> I get a timestamp in a property drawer when I advance the schedule, like
> so:
>
> *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
>     SCHEDULED: <2010-04-13 Tue ++1w>
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-04-12 Mon 20:06]
>     :END:
>
> This happens with an emacs environment started with emacs -q, and a file
> that contains only the above entry.
>
> I don't need or want such information recorded. But I don't know how to
> stop it, and I don't know where else to look for the responsible
> variable.
>
> Any hints?

Set the property

  :LOGGING:  nil

-Bernt

* Re: Re: confused about logging
@ 2010-04-13  2:22   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-04-13  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Dan Griswold, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a repeating task, like so:
> >
> > *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
> >     SCHEDULED: <2010-03-09 Tue ++1w>
> >
> > I would like to have things set so that when I change the todo state,
> > and the schedule advances, then there will not be any logging done.
> >
> > However, with org-log-repeat, org-log-done, and org-log-done-with-time
> > all set to nil (indeed, it appears all org-log-X vars are set to nil),
> > I get a timestamp in a property drawer when I advance the schedule, like
> > so:
> >
> > *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
> >     SCHEDULED: <2010-04-13 Tue ++1w>
> >     :PROPERTIES:
> >     :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-04-12 Mon 20:06]
> >     :END:
> >
> > This happens with an emacs environment started with emacs -q, and a file
> > that contains only the above entry.
> >
> > I don't need or want such information recorded. But I don't know how to
> > stop it, and I don't know where else to look for the responsible
> > variable.
> >
> > Any hints?
>
> Set the property
>
>   :LOGGING:  nil

I don't think that works - and I also don't think that there is a way to
do what Dan wants, currently.  The code in org.el:org-auto-repeat-maybe
looks like this:

    (when repeat
      (if (eq org-log-repeat t) (setq org-log-repeat 'state))
      (setq to-state (or (org-entry-get nil "REPEAT_TO_STATE")
			 org-todo-repeat-to-state))
      (unless (and to-state (member to-state org-todo-keywords-1))
	(setq to-state (if (eq interpret 'type) last-state head)))
      (org-todo to-state)
      (org-entry-put nil "LAST_REPEAT" (format-time-string
					(org-time-stamp-format t t)))

and the LAST_REPEAT property is set unconnditionally. At least, that's
how I read it.

Nick

* Re: Re: confused about logging
@ 2010-04-13  2:28     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-13  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Dan Griswold, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>
>> Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have a repeating task, like so:
>> >
>> > *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
>> >     SCHEDULED: <2010-03-09 Tue ++1w>
>> >
>> > I would like to have things set so that when I change the todo state,
>> > and the schedule advances, then there will not be any logging done.
>> >
>> > However, with org-log-repeat, org-log-done, and org-log-done-with-time
>> > all set to nil (indeed, it appears all org-log-X vars are set to nil),
>> > I get a timestamp in a property drawer when I advance the schedule, like
>> > so:
>> >
>> > *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
>> >     SCHEDULED: <2010-04-13 Tue ++1w>
>> >     :PROPERTIES:
>> >     :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-04-12 Mon 20:06]
>> >     :END:
>> >
>> > This happens with an emacs environment started with emacs -q, and a file
>> > that contains only the above entry.
>> >
>> > I don't need or want such information recorded. But I don't know how to
>> > stop it, and I don't know where else to look for the responsible
>> > variable.
>> >
>> > Any hints?
>>
>> Set the property
>>
>>   :LOGGING:  nil
>>

> I don't think that works - and I also don't think that there is a way to
> do what Dan wants, currently.  The code in org.el:org-auto-repeat-maybe
> looks like this:

>     (when repeat
>       (if (eq org-log-repeat t) (setq org-log-repeat 'state))
>       (setq to-state (or (org-entry-get nil "REPEAT_TO_STATE")
> 			 org-todo-repeat-to-state))
>       (unless (and to-state (member to-state org-todo-keywords-1))
> 	(setq to-state (if (eq interpret 'type) last-state head)))
>       (org-todo to-state)
>       (org-entry-put nil "LAST_REPEAT" (format-time-string
> 					(org-time-stamp-format t t)))

> and the LAST_REPEAT property is set unconnditionally. At least, that's
> how I read it.

Gah.  I didn't read the posting carefully enough - sorry.  There's no
way to turn off LAST_REPEAT logging currently as Nick points out.

@ 2010-04-13  5:40     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-13  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Dan Griswold, Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 13, 2010, at 4:22 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>
>> Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a repeating task, like so:
>>>
>>> *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
>>>    SCHEDULED: <2010-03-09 Tue ++1w>
>>>
>>> I would like to have things set so that when I change the todo
>>> state,
>>> and the schedule advances, then there will not be any logging done.
>>>
>>> However, with org-log-repeat, org-log-done, and org-log-done-with-
>>> time
>>> all set to nil (indeed, it appears all org-log-X vars are set to
>>> nil),
>>> I get a timestamp in a property drawer when I advance the
>>> schedule, like
>>> so:
>>>
>>> *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
>>>    SCHEDULED: <2010-04-13 Tue ++1w>
>>>    :PROPERTIES:
>>>    :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-04-12 Mon 20:06]
>>>    :END:
>>>
>>> This happens with an emacs environment started with emacs -q, and
>>> a file
>>> that contains only the above entry.
>>>
>>> I don't need or want such information recorded. But I don't know
>>> how to
>>> stop it, and I don't know where else to look for the responsible
>>> variable.
>>>
>>> Any hints?
>>
>> Set the property
>>
>>  :LOGGING:  nil
>>

> I don't think that works - and I also don't think that there is a
> way to
> do what Dan wants, currently.  The code in org.el:org-auto-repeat-
> maybe
> looks like this:

>    (when repeat
>      (if (eq org-log-repeat t) (setq org-log-repeat 'state))
>      (setq to-state (or (org-entry-get nil "REPEAT_TO_STATE")
> 			 org-todo-repeat-to-state))
>      (unless (and to-state (member to-state org-todo-keywords-1))
> 	(setq to-state (if (eq interpret 'type) last-state head)))
>      (org-todo to-state)
>      (org-entry-put nil "LAST_REPEAT" (format-time-string
> 					(org-time-stamp-format t t)))

> and the LAST_REPEAT property is set unconnditionally. At least, that's
> how I read it.

This is correct.  Should we change this? LAST_REPEAT is used for the
clock display
of repeating tasks.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: confused about logging
@ 2010-04-13 11:53       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-13 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Dan Griswold, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

> On Apr 13, 2010, at 4:22 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

>>> Set the property
>>>
>>>  :LOGGING:  nil
>>>

>> I don't think that works - and I also don't think that there is a
>> way to
>> do what Dan wants, currently.  The code in org.el:org-auto-repeat-
>> maybe
>> looks like this:

>>    (when repeat
>>      (if (eq org-log-repeat t) (setq org-log-repeat 'state))
>>      (setq to-state (or (org-entry-get nil "REPEAT_TO_STATE")
>> 			 org-todo-repeat-to-state))
>>      (unless (and to-state (member to-state org-todo-keywords-1))
>> 	(setq to-state (if (eq interpret 'type) last-state head)))
>>      (org-todo to-state)
>>      (org-entry-put nil "LAST_REPEAT" (format-time-string
>> 					(org-time-stamp-format t t)))

>> and the LAST_REPEAT property is set unconnditionally. At least, that's
>> how I read it.
>

> This is correct.  Should we change this? LAST_REPEAT is used for the
> clock display
> of repeating tasks.

It's not really useful if there is no clocking data for the task -- so
maybe we can skip setting it when no clock data exists?

-Bernt

* Re: confused about logging
@ 2010-04-14 11:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-14 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 13, 2010, at 2:10 AM, Dan Griswold wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a repeating task, like so:
>
> *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
>    SCHEDULED: <2010-03-09 Tue ++1w>
>
> I would like to have things set so that when I change the todo state,
> and the schedule advances, then there will not be any logging done.
>
> However, with org-log-repeat, org-log-done, and org-log-done-with-time
> all set to nil (indeed, it appears all org-log-X vars are set to nil),
> I get a timestamp in a property drawer when I advance the schedule,
> like
> so:
>
> *** TODO Print copies						     :@PRINT:
>    SCHEDULED: <2010-04-13 Tue ++1w>
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-04-12 Mon 20:06]
>    :END:
>
> This happens with an emacs environment started with emacs -q, and a
> file
> that contains only the above entry.
>
> I don't need or want such information recorded. But I don't know how
> stop it, and I don't know where else to look for the responsible
> variable.
>
> Any hints?

If you pull the newest version, this information is only recorded if
either
org-log-repeat is non-nil, or if the entry is collecting clocking data.

Hope this solves the problem for you.

- Carsten

> Thanks,
>
> Dan
>

> --
> Dan Griswold
> Rochester, NY

- Carsten

* Re: confused about logging
@ 2010-04-17 16:53   ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2010-04-17 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 14 Apr 2010, carsten.dominik@gmail.com wrote:

> If you pull the newest version, this information is only recorded if
> either org-log-repeat is non-nil, or if the entry is collecting
> clocking data.
>
> Hope this solves the problem for you.

Excellent! This works perfectly.

Thank you.