emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Date format when exporting to LaTeX?
@ 2013-07-01 21:05 Richard Hansen
From: Richard Hansen @ 2013-07-01 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I recently upgraded from 7.8.03 to current master (actually
release_8.0.3-299-g1d606c0) and now when I export to LaTeX, the following:

   #+DATE: %Y-%m-%d

no longer causes the date to be the current date in ISO 8601 format.  It
now simply prints "%Y-%m-%d".

I tried:

   #+DATE: {{{date(%Y-%m-%d)}}}

but got "Circular macro expansion: date".  I also tried:

   #+BIND: org-export-date-timestamp-format "%Y-%m-%d"

but that did nothing (no confirmation prompt, nothing).

Setting org-export-date-timestamp-format as a file-local variable didn't
work either.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Richard

* Re: Date format when exporting to LaTeX?
@ 2013-07-01 21:46 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-07-01 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Richard,

> I recently upgraded from 7.8.03 to current master (actually
> release_8.0.3-299-g1d606c0) and now when I export to LaTeX, the following:
>
>    #+DATE: %Y-%m-%d
>
> no longer causes the date to be the current date in ISO 8601 format.  It
> now simply prints "%Y-%m-%d".
>
> I tried:
>
>    #+DATE: {{{date(%Y-%m-%d)}}}

This also doesn't work for, but I've never used it before.  But it
should be {{{time(.)}}} cf.

    http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?h=maint

> but got "Circular macro expansion: date".  I also tried:
>
>    #+BIND: org-export-date-timestamp-format "%Y-%m-%d"

This works for me in Org-mode version 8.0.3
(release_8.0.3-309-gabacff).  Is the problem still persistent after
trying from emacs -q or after trying M-x org-reload?

#+BIND: org-export-date-timestamp-format "%Y-%m-%d"
#+DATE: <2013-07-01 Mon>

* test

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-export-date-timestamp-format "%B %e, %Y")
(set (make-local-variable 'org-export-allow-bind-keywords) t)
#+end_src

–Rasmus

--
The Kids call him Billy the Saint

* Re: Date format when exporting to LaTeX?
@ 2013-07-01 22:40   ` Richard Hansen
From: Richard Hansen @ 2013-07-01 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2013-07-01 17:46, Rasmus wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
>> I recently upgraded from 7.8.03 to current master (actually
>> release_8.0.3-299-g1d606c0) and now when I export to LaTeX, the following:
>>
>>    #+DATE: %Y-%m-%d
>>
>> no longer causes the date to be the current date in ISO 8601 format.  It
>> now simply prints "%Y-%m-%d".
>>
>> I tried:
>>
>>    #+DATE: {{{date(%Y-%m-%d)}}}
>
> This also doesn't work for, but I've never used it before.  But it
> should be {{{time(.)}}} cf.
>
>     http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?h=maint

I tried:

   #+DATE: {{{time(%Y-%m-%d)}}}

and that did work.  Thank you!

Unfortunately this does not work quite right with org-mode 7.8.03, so
I'll have to make sure everyone I collaborate with upgrades their
org-mode.  :(

>> but got "Circular macro expansion: date".  I also tried:
>>
>>    #+BIND: org-export-date-timestamp-format "%Y-%m-%d"
>
> This works for me in Org-mode version 8.0.3
> (release_8.0.3-309-gabacff).  Is the problem still persistent after
> trying from emacs -q or after trying M-x org-reload?
>

> #+BIND: org-export-date-timestamp-format "%Y-%m-%d"
> #+DATE: <2013-07-01 Mon>
>
> * test
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (setq org-export-date-timestamp-format "%B %e, %Y")
> (set (make-local-variable 'org-export-allow-bind-keywords) t)
> #+end_src

This works for me too, but:

  * I must provide a date.  If I don't have that #+DATE line then the
    LaTeX exporter uses \today, and that ignores
    org-export-date-timestamp-format.  I don't want to have to specify
    a date; I want it to use today's date.  (The {{{time()}}} macro
    works well for this, but I was unaware of its existence until now.)

  * org-export-allow-bind-keywords must be true.  Adding it as a
    file-local variable is not an acceptable solution in my
    circumstance.

    I didn't have to set this variable when I was using 7.8.03 --
    org-mode simply asked me (once) if it was OK to bind the
    variables.  I miss that behavior.

Thanks again for letting me know about {{{time(.)}}}.

@ 2013-07-02 15:48     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-07-02 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Richard Hansen <rhansen@bbn.com> writes:

> Unfortunately this does not work quite right with org-mode 7.8.03, so
> I'll have to make sure everyone I collaborate with upgrades their
> org-mode.  :(

There are (hopefully few) incompatibilities between Org 7 and Org 8,
indeed. Be cautious about it.

>   * org-export-allow-bind-keywords must be true.  Adding it as a
>     file-local variable is not an acceptable solution in my
>     circumstance.
>
>     I didn't have to set this variable when I was using 7.8.03 --
>     org-mode simply asked me (once) if it was OK to bind the
>     variables.  I miss that behavior.

Unfortunately, re-implementing that behaviour is not trivial. The
internals are just too different.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Date format when exporting to LaTeX?
@ 2013-07-03  8:14       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-07-03  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Richard Hansen

Hi Nicolas and Richard,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

>>   * org-export-allow-bind-keywords must be true.  Adding it as a
>>     file-local variable is not an acceptable solution in my
>>     circumstance.
>>
>>     I didn't have to set this variable when I was using 7.8.03 --
>>     org-mode simply asked me (once) if it was OK to bind the
>>     variables.  I miss that behavior.
>
> Unfortunately, re-implementing that behaviour is not trivial. The
> internals are just too different.

Yes, I remember we tried to re-implement this behavior.  Nicolas was
kind enough to provide patches per my request, as I think the previous
behavior is better.  If someone can help in this area, I think this
would be nice to fix this "regression".

2 cts,

--
 Bastien