emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [Beamer] headings missing with two columns
@ 2016-01-26 15:11 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2016-01-26 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

With the following:

#+TITLE: test
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
* blah
** test
*** Food                                                          :B_columns:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: columns
    :END:
**** Fruit                                                         :B_column:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_col: .5
     :BEAMER_env: column
     :END:
     - apple
     - banana
**** Vegetables                                                    :B_column:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_col: .5
     :BEAMER_env: column
     :END:
     - artichoke
     - broccoli

I expected to see headings "Fruit" and "Vegetables" over the two
columns, but they do not appear.  I thought I had to use

    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading

explicitly to suppress the headings and that the default was to show
them.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: [Beamer] headings missing with two columns
@ 2016-01-26 17:13 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-01-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016 at 16:11, Loris Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the following:

[...]

> I expected to see headings "Fruit" and "Vegetables" over the two
> columns, but they do not appear.  I thought I had to use
>
>     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>
> explicitly to suppress the headings and that the default was to show
> them.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You haven't said what version of org you are using.  The above would
probably work with versions of org 7.x but for 8.x, you need a different
set of commands to achieve what you want.  The following should do what
you want:

#+begin_src org
  ,#+TITLE: test

  ,#+startup: beamer
  ,* blah
  ,** test
  ,*** Food
  ,**** Fruit                                            :B_block:BMCOL:
       :PROPERTIES:
       :BEAMER_col: 0.5
       :BEAMER_env: block
       :END:
       - apple
       - banana
  ,**** Vegetables                                       :B_block:BMCOL:
       :PROPERTIES:
       :BEAMER_col: 0.5
       :BEAMER_env: block
       :END:
       - artichoke
       - broccoli

#+end_src

Note the removal of the LaTeX class declaration.  In v8, blocks have
headings ignored by default if they are columns so you need to specify a
block type explicitly.  Using the beamer startup directive allows you to
easily specify what you want on a headline by C-c C-b.

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.3-449-gd85ff3

* Re: [Beamer] headings missing with two columns
@ 2016-01-27  8:44   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2016-01-27  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> On Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016 at 16:11, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the following:
>
> [...]
>
>> I expected to see headings "Fruit" and "Vegetables" over the two
>> columns, but they do not appear.  I thought I had to use
>>
>>     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>>
>> explicitly to suppress the headings and that the default was to show
>> them.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> You haven't said what version of org you are using.  The above would
> probably work with versions of org 7.x but for 8.x, you need a different
> set of commands to achieve what you want.  The following should do what
> you want:
>
> #+begin_src org
>   ,#+TITLE: test
>
>   ,#+startup: beamer
>   ,* blah
>   ,** test
>   ,*** Food
>   ,**** Fruit                                            :B_block:BMCOL:
>        :PROPERTIES:
>        :BEAMER_col: 0.5
>        :BEAMER_env: block
>        :END:
>        - apple
>        - banana
>   ,**** Vegetables                                       :B_block:BMCOL:
>        :PROPERTIES:
>        :BEAMER_col: 0.5
>        :BEAMER_env: block
>        :END:
>        - artichoke
>        - broccoli
>
> #+end_src
>
> Note the removal of the LaTeX class declaration.  In v8, blocks have
> headings ignored by default if they are columns so you need to specify a
> block type explicitly.  Using the beamer startup directive allows you to
> easily specify what you want on a headline by C-c C-b.
>
> HTH,
> eric

Thanks, this works (I'm using 8.3.3).  Now I am wondering whether it is
possible to have two headings in the same columns of the same order?  I
thought that I would need a dummy heading between "Food" and "Fruit",
but the following does not work (everything ends up in a single
column).  Even if it had worked, presumably it would have changed the
formatting, since '**** Fruit' is now '***** Fruit', or should
'ignoreheading' handle that?

This is what I tried but only got a single column:

#+TITLE: test
#+STARTUP: beamer

* blah
** test
*** Food
**** dummy 1                                                  :B_block:BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:
***** Fruit
     - apple
     - banana
***** Nuts
      - brasil
      - cashew
**** dummy 2                                                  :B_block:BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:
***** Vegetables
     - artichoke
     - broccoli
***** Pulses
     - chickpea
     - lentil

@ 2016-01-27 10:34     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-01-27 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday, 27 Jan 2016 at 09:44, Loris Bennett wrote:

[...]

> Thanks, this works (I'm using 8.3.3).  Now I am wondering whether it is
> possible to have two headings in the same columns of the same order?  I
> thought that I would need a dummy heading between "Food" and "Fruit",
> but the following does not work (everything ends up in a single
> column).  Even if it had worked, presumably it would have changed the
> formatting, since '**** Fruit' is now '***** Fruit', or should
> 'ignoreheading' handle that?

I am not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve.  However, I can
say that ignoreheading and block are mutually exclusive environment
settings so you cannot have both.  A block needs a heading but if you
ignore it, you cannot have a block.

The following works, assuming I have understood what you wanted:

#+begin_src org
  ,#+TITLE: test

  ,#+STARTUP: beamer

  ,* blah
  ,** test
  ,*** Food
  ,**** dummy 1                                                  :BMCOL:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_col: 0.5
      :END:
  ,***** Fruit
       - apple
       - banana
  ,***** Nuts
        - brasil
        - cashew
  ,**** dummy 2                                                  :BMCOL:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_col: 0.5
      :END:
  ,***** Vegetables
       - artichoke
       - broccoli
  ,***** Pulses
       - chickpea
       - lentil
#+end_src

If you want a block with an empty heading, use a non-printing space of
some sort for the heading, maybe @@latex:~@@?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.5.1, Org release_8.3.3-456-g164555