emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* bug#34323: reproducibility: absolute file names in ox-odt.elc
@ 2019-02-04 23:05 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2019-02-04 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 34323

Package: emacs,org-mode
Version: 26.1.91
Severity: minor

The compiled file ox-odt.elc contains strings that refer to the
absolute location of the build directory, through
org-odt-schema-dir-list and org-odt-styles-dir-list.
For example, in the Emacs 26.1.91 pretest tarfile, it contains
"/home/nico/work/emacs-26/etc/schema/" and
"/home/nico/work/emacs-26/etc/styles/".
This means the generated elc file is non-reproducible (ie, the contents
change depending on the build directory).

(Like https://debbugs.gnu.org/34321, issued spotted in
https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/rb-pkg/unstable/amd64/diffoscope-results/emacs.html
)

* bug#34323: reproducibility: absolute file names in ox-odt.elc
       [not found] <lw5ztzjgsu.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2019-02-06 21:17 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-02-06 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: kjambunathan, 34323

Hello,

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Package: emacs,org-mode
> Version: 26.1.91
> Severity: minor
>
> The compiled file ox-odt.elc contains strings that refer to the
> absolute location of the build directory, through
> org-odt-schema-dir-list and org-odt-styles-dir-list.
> For example, in the Emacs 26.1.91 pretest tarfile, it contains
> "/home/nico/work/emacs-26/etc/schema/" and
> "/home/nico/work/emacs-26/etc/styles/".
> This means the generated elc file is non-reproducible (ie, the contents
> change depending on the build directory).
>
> (Like https://debbugs.gnu.org/34321, issued spotted in
> https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/rb-pkg/unstable/amd64/diffoscope-results/emacs.html
> )

I'm Cc'ing the author of ox-odt.el as he might have more insight.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2019-02-06 23:52 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2019-02-06 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 34323

It's due to the eval-when-compile sections in org-odt-schema-dir-list
and org-odt-styles-dir-list. These don't make sense to me. All they do
is add the build directory. There is a comment "see make install", but I
cannot see what this refers to. No similar variable initializes itself
in this way AFAIK. If those sections are removed, does anything stop
working?

* bug#34323: reproducibility: absolute file names in ox-odt.elc
@ 2019-02-09 11:33   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-02-09 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Org Mode List, 34323-done

Hello,

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> It's due to the eval-when-compile sections in org-odt-schema-dir-list
> and org-odt-styles-dir-list. These don't make sense to me. All they do
> is add the build directory. There is a comment "see make install", but I
> cannot see what this refers to. No similar variable initializes itself
> in this way AFAIK. If those sections are removed, does anything stop
> working?

I don't know. I removed `the `eval-when-compile' calls. We'll see what
horrible things happen.

I'm closing this bug for now. Thank you for reporting it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou