emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [DOC] Mismatch on doc regarding position of src block switches
@ 2024-04-22  2:05 João Pedro
From: João Pedro @ 2024-04-22  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Org folks,

I've noticed that in (org)Literal Examples[0], when documenting the switches for example and source blocks, it is mentioned that they should be placed at the *end* of the #+BEGIN line, while both in (org)Structure of Code Blocks[1] and the Org Syntax document[2] the switches are documented to be placed right after the language (when appropriate), which is the correct placement for it.

I've also noticed that the Org Syntax for blocks (greater or lesser) don't mention example blocks having optional switches.

[0] https://orgmode.org/manual/Literal-Examples.html
[1] https://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-of-Code-Blocks.html
[2] https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html#Blocks

Cheers,

--
João Pedro de A. Paula
IT bachelors at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN)

* Re: [DOC] Mismatch on doc regarding position of src block switches
@ 2024-04-22 18:12 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-04-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Pedro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

João Pedro <jpedrodeamorim@gmail.com> writes:

> I've noticed that in (org)Literal Examples[0], when documenting the switches for example and source blocks, it is mentioned that they should be placed at the *end* of the #+BEGIN line, while both in (org)Structure of Code Blocks[1] and the Org Syntax document[2] the switches are documented to be placed right after the language (when appropriate), which is the correct placement for it.

Thanks for reporting!
Fixed, on bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=a9275d5fd

> I've also noticed that the Org Syntax for blocks (greater or lesser) don't mention example blocks having optional switches.

We deliberately limit the number of details in the syntax spec.
For now, we just say that lesser blocks can have arbitrary DATA at the
begin line.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [DOC] Mismatch on doc regarding position of src block switches
@ 2024-04-22 21:59   ` João Pedro
From: João Pedro @ 2024-04-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Em segunda, 22/04/2024 às 18:12 (GMT), Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> escreveu:

> Thanks for reporting!
> Fixed, on bugfix.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=a9275d5fd

Wonderful, thanks for the quick fix as well!

> We deliberately limit the number of details in the syntax spec.
> For now, we just say that lesser blocks can have arbitrary DATA at the
> begin line.

Ah ok, I was wondering whether that was intentional or not!

Cheers,