emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Avoid canceling of events which do have multiple time-stamps
@ 2014-11-07 10:43 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-11-07 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Sometimes, I use single events and use
"org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift" to create clones for multiple
occurrences. (method A)

: ** <2014-08-30 Sat 15:00-17:00> Volleyball
:
: Do some sport.

For other events, I do have one single "* Volleyball" heading and
multiple time-stamps for each occurrence in its body. (method B)

:
: ** Volleyball
:
: - <2014-08-30 Sat 15:00-17:00>
: - <2014-09-06 Sat 15:00-17:00>
: - <2014-09-13 Sat 15:00-17:00>

Unfortunately in the agenda view, both entries are visualized the same
way. This is causing issues in certain cases.

For example, when I see an event on my agenda and I know that I don't
have time for it, I usually cancel the event right away in my agenda.

However, when this time-stamp occured only in the body of a heading
(method B), cancelling does cancel *all* occurrences. For example when
I cancel "Volleyball" on the agenda of 2014-09-06, I'd cancel also
2014-08-30 (in the past) and 2014-09-13 (in the future).

And much worse: I do not notice my error.

There is a certain issue with this: how to determine whether or not a
time-stamp is the only one or if it is mentioned in the heading
itself.

Is there a clever way to differ the two methods so that we are able to
come up with different visualizations?

What are your thoughts on this issue?

* Re: Avoid canceling of events which do have multiple time-stamps
@ 2014-11-07 22:31 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-11-07 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Karl.

Karl Voit writes:

> For other events, I do have one single "* Volleyball" heading
> and multiple time-stamps for each occurrence in its body.
> (method B)
>
> Unfortunately in the agenda view, both entries are visualized
> the same way. This is causing issues in certain cases.
>
> For example, when I see an event on my agenda and I know that I
> don't have time for it, I usually cancel the event right away in
> my agenda.
>
> However, when this time-stamp occured only in the body of a
> heading (method B), cancelling does cancel *all* occurrences.
> For example when I cancel "Volleyball" on the agenda of
> 2014-09-06, I'd cancel also 2014-08-30 (in the past) and
> 2014-09-13 (in the future).
>
> And much worse: I do not notice my error.
>
> There is a certain issue with this: how to determine whether or
> not a time-stamp is the only one or if it is mentioned in the
> heading itself.

I use several time stamps as well, but I use
org-agenda-follow-mode by default (see the variable
`org-agenda-start-with-follow-mode') so I can see the entry with
its multiple entries before archiving or killing it.

> Is there a clever way to differ the two methods so that we are
> able to come up with different visualizations?

In the case of something like Volleyball, perhaps you might want
to look at habits: (info "(org) Tracking your habits")

Another option is to create subheadlines for each activity, and
avoid multiple timestamps.

Best,

--

Jorge.