emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Can't store link in mu4e
@ 2016-08-29 16:03 Brett Presnell
From: Brett Presnell @ 2016-08-29 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I pulled the latest org from git a few days ago.  Now I can no longer
store links to email messages in mu4e with "C-c l".  The message I get
is

    No method for storing a link from this buffer

Nothing else has changed, and I am still able to pull up email message
by clicking on (old) links in org files, and org-capture of email
messages still works with "C-c c".

I'm running

   mu/mu4e version 0.9.17 from github

and a snapshot of GNU Emacs 25

   GNU Emacs 25.1.50.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9) of
   2016-08-23

Any ideas?  I really depend on this functionality.

* Re: Can't store link in mu4e
@ 2016-08-29 17:11 ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-08-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Brett Presnell <presnell@member.fsf.org> writes:

> I pulled the latest org from git a few days ago.  Now I can no longer
> store links to email messages in mu4e with "C-c l".  The message I get
> is
>
>     No method for storing a link from this buffer
I had the same problem with wanderlust last week. But the next pull a
couple of days ago fixed that for me.

VG
hmw

* Re: Can't store link in mu4e
@ 2016-08-31 17:42 Brett Presnell
From: Brett Presnell @ 2016-08-31 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I pulled the latest org from git today and still no joy in mu4e.
Interesting that the problem came and went in wanderlust but not in
mu4e.

> Hello,
>
> Brett Presnell <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I pulled the latest org from git a few days ago.  Now I can no longer
> > store links to email messages in mu4e with "C-c l".  The message I get
> > is
> >
> >     No method for storing a link from this buffer
> I had the same problem with wanderlust last week. But the next pull a
> couple of days ago fixed that for me.
>
> VG
> hmw

* Re: Can't store link in mu4e
@ 2016-09-04 20:02 ` Brett Presnell
From: Brett Presnell @ 2016-09-04 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

After looking into this more carefully, I learned that org-add-link-type
is deprecated.  In case anyone else runs into this, the solution is to
edit org-mu4e.el, replacing the lines

(org-add-link-type "mu4e" 'org-mu4e-open)
(add-hook 'org-store-link-functions 'org-mu4e-store-link)

with the single line

(org-link-set-parameters "mu4e" :follow #'org-mu4e-open :store #'org-mu4e-store-link)

I'll report this to the mu developer in case he isn't already aware of
the upcoming change in org mode.  I wonder if org-mu4e.el wouldn't be
better maintained as a part of org (like org-gnus.el and org-mew.el)
rather than as a part of mu4e.

@ 2016-09-05 15:51   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-09-05 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Presnell; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello,

Brett Presnell <presnell@member.fsf.org> writes:

> I'll report this to the mu developer in case he isn't already aware of
> the upcoming change in org mode.  I wonder if org-mu4e.el wouldn't be
> better maintained as a part of org (like org-gnus.el and org-mew.el)
> rather than as a part of mu4e.

"org-new.el" is not part of Org, but belongs to third-party "contrib/"
directory.

Besides, mu4e, AFAIK, is not part part of Emacs.

It may make sense to distribute it through GNU Elpa instead of packaging
it with mu4e itself, tho.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Can't store link in mu4e
@ 2016-09-05 19:39     ` Brett Presnell
From: Brett Presnell @ 2016-09-05 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode

> Brett Presnell <presnell@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> I'll report this to the mu developer in case he isn't already aware of
>> the upcoming change in org mode.  I wonder if org-mu4e.el wouldn't be
>> better maintained as a part of org (like org-gnus.el and org-mew.el)
>> rather than as a part of mu4e.
>
> "org-new.el" is not part of Org, but belongs to third-party "contrib/"
> directory.
>
> Besides, mu4e, AFAIK, is not part part of Emacs.

Yes, I realized before I contacted the mu developer that I should have
said "as part of contrib", like org-mew.el, org-notmuch.el, org-vm.el,
and org-wl.el (and unlike org-gnus.el, org-mhe.el, and org-rmail.el,
which correspond to email clients distributed with emacs).  I suppose
that the contrib stuff wouldn't be installed in a standard installation
of org, but I thought that it might give the mu developer a way to
attach org-mu4e.el to the relevant version of org.  Maybe this is a bad
idea, but he already includes org-mu4e.el and org-old-mu4e.el, and now
he's going to need to add another I guess, which seems suboptimal.

> It may make sense to distribute it through GNU Elpa instead of packaging
> it with mu4e itself, tho.

That's a thought.

Irrelevant aside: It's remarkable to me how important emacs has been to
my life.  For example, since 1990 I have used, in order, rmail, mhe, vm,
gnus, and now mu4e, each for at least several years before switching to
the next.  I probably used gnus the longest (I had also used it in the
1980s and early 1990s to read usenet), and I only switched to mu4e
because: (1) my work email was moved to MS Exchange whose IMAP server
was practically unusable with gnus's IMAP implementation; and (2) my
work responsibilities changed so that I needed to be able to search
quickly through a ton of email, which mu is very good at.  The changed
work responsibilities also forced me to finally get more serious about
org, and creating links to email messages and using org-capture to
create TODOs that link back to email messages is an important part of
that.

Maybe this is a good time to thank everyone who has contributed to org
mode.  While I'll admit to some occassional frustrations, it's a great
tool and I don't know what I would have done without it over the past
few years.  Thanks for making it.