emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* orgalist & variable binding depth
@ 2018-09-05 12:40 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2018-09-05 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I've just started enabling orgalist in message-mode, and it's awesome.
However, I'm getting very frequent variable binding depth errors, possibly
because of conflicts with other packages. When orgalist is turned off, all
the errors go away. When it's turned on, my *Messages* buffer starts to
look like this:

----------
forward-paragraph: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size [4 times]
back-to-indentation: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
yas--auto-fill: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size [3 times]
orgalist--auto-fill: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size [12
times]
----------

The message buffer is in mu4e-compose mode, which is a derived mode from
message mode.  The minor modes enabled are:

Enabled minor modes: Abbrev Anzu Async-Bytecomp-Package
Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption Auto-Fill
Beginend-Global Beginend-Message Column-Number Csv-Field-Index
Delete-Selection Desktop-Save Diff-Auto-Refine Dubcaps Editorconfig
Electric-Indent File-Name-Shadow Flycheck Flyspell Font-Lock
Global-Anzu Global-Auto-Complete Global-Auto-Revert Global-Eldoc
Global-Flycheck Global-Font-Lock Global-Git-Commit Global-Magit-File
Global-Subword Global-Undo-Tree Guide-Key Helm Helm-Autoresize
Iswitchb Line-Number Magit-Auto-Revert Menu-Bar Mml Mouse-Wheel Narrow
Override-Global Pdf-Occur-Global Persistent-Scratch-Autosave
Project-Persist Projectile Recentf Save-Place Savehist Shell-Dirtrack
Show-Paren Subword Transient-Mark Undo-Tree Visual-Line Which-Function
Winner Yas Yas-Global

maybe some of theseshould be turned off! my init files are a bit of a mess
aright now.  Anyway, any thoughts on how I might start debugging; and also
are other people seeing the same issue?

* Re: orgalist & variable binding depth
@ 2018-09-05 13:24 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-09-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

On Wednesday,  5 Sep 2018 at 08:40, Matt Price wrote:
> I've just started enabling orgalist in message-mode, and it's awesome.
> However, I'm getting very frequent variable binding depth errors, possibly

[...]

> maybe some of theseshould be turned off! my init files are a bit of a mess
> aright now.  Anyway, any thoughts on how I might start debugging; and also
> are other people seeing the same issue?

I've not seen this error and I've been using orgalist for some time
now.  My message buffer is probably vanilla... I use gnus.  I do seem to
have a few less minor modes than you.  Full list here:

Enabled minor modes: Abbrev Auto-Composition Auto-Compression
Auto-Dictionary Auto-Encryption Auto-Fill Beacon Column-Number
Diff-Auto-Refine Display-Line-Numbers Display-Time Electric-Indent
Evil Evil-Local File-Name-Shadow Flx-Ido Flyspell Font-Lock
Global-Aggressive-Indent Global-Auto-Revert Global-Eldoc
Global-Font-Lock Global-Undo-Tree Gnus-Message-Citation Hl-Line
Ido-Everywhere Line-Number Mml Mouse-Wheel Narrow Orgalist Pabbrev
Recentf Save-Place Shell-Dirtrack Tooltip Transient-Mark Undo-Tree
Which-Key

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.13-783-g97fac4

* Re: orgalist & variable binding depth
@ 2018-09-05 13:30 ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2018-09-05 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Matt,

> and also are other people seeing the same issue?

Yes, I have also seen this using orgalist + mu4e-compose-mode.

Josiah

* Re: orgalist & variable binding depth
@ 2018-09-05 14:46   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2018-09-05 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jschwab; +Cc: Org Mode

so, I think there is an infinite loop generated between yas--auto-fill and
orgalist--auto-fill:

--------------
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds
‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
  current-left-margin()
  move-to-left-margin()
  forward-paragraph()
  yas--auto-fill()
  orgalist--auto-fill(yas--auto-fill)
  apply(orgalist--auto-fill yas--auto-fill nil)
  #f(advice-wrapper :around yas--auto-fill orgalist--auto-fill)()
  yas--auto-fill()
  orgalist--auto-fill(yas--auto-fill)
  apply(orgalist--auto-fill yas--auto-fill nil)
  #f(advice-wrapper :around yas--auto-fill orgalist--auto-fill)()
  yas--auto-fill()
  orgalist--auto-fill(yas--auto-fill)
  apply(orgalist--auto-fill yas--auto-fill nil)
  #f(advice-wrapper :around yas--auto-fill orgalist--auto-fill)()
  yas--auto-fill()
-----------------------

the workaround is to disable yas-global-mode, which I should have done
anyway.  But this might  be something to figure out how to manage in any
case -- do you htink this counts ass a yasnippet issue or an orgalist issue
or a message-mode issue?

@ 2018-09-05 22:13     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2018-09-05 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: jschwab, Org Mode

I'm using orglist and mu4e but not yas-auto-fill. I don't see this
issue.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: orgalist & variable binding depth
@ 2018-09-06 14:21     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-09-06 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: jschwab, Org Mode

Hello,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> so, I think there is an infinite loop generated between yas--auto-fill and
> orgalist--auto-fill:

Yasnippet and Orgalist are somewhat incompatible because Yasnippet is
not playing nice with other minor modes. Instead of advising functions,
it stores them and installs its modified version.

IIRC, I solve a similar issue by first disabling Yasnippet, then
enabling Orgalist, and eventually enabling Yasnippet again:

  (yas-minor-mode -1)
  (orgalist-mode 1)
  (yas-minor-mode)

Regards,