emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* How to put a string produced by an Elisp form in an Org source block in the Org file?
@ 2023-08-04  7:58 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-08-04  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Orgers,

I have an Elisp form in an Org source block, returning a (multi-line)
string.  I'd like to put that string into the same Org buffer.  I tried
`:results raw', but the string contains `|' characters, so Org treats
its as a table and tries to format it as such, which is not what I want.

How to do that?

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: How to put a string produced by an Elisp form in an Org source block in the Org file?
@ 2023-08-04  8:03 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-04  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have an Elisp form in an Org source block, returning a (multi-line)
> string.  I'd like to put that string into the same Org buffer.  I tried
> `:results raw', but the string contains `|' characters, so Org treats
> its as a table and tries to format it as such, which is not what I want.
>
> How to do that?

Maybe :wrap example?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: How to put a string produced by an Elisp form in an Org source block in the Org file?
@ 2023-08-04 20:20   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-08-04 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-08-04, at 10:03, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> I have an Elisp form in an Org source block, returning a (multi-line)
>> string.  I'd like to put that string into the same Org buffer.  I tried
>> `:results raw', but the string contains `|' characters, so Org treats
>> its as a table and tries to format it as such, which is not what I want.
>>
>> How to do that?
>
> Maybe :wrap example?

Thanks a lot, that works!  (Apart from the issue with lines beginning
with a star, possibly preceded by whitespace, which are "escaped" with
a comma - but that is a known thing in Org, and I can easily circumvent
it.)

BTW, that means that my blog post for this weekend (about plotting
charts from Org tables, all within Org mode and using ASCII art) is
basically almost ready!

Best,

--

@ 2023-08-05  9:17     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-08-05  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-08-04, at 22:20, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> On 2023-08-04, at 10:03, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>
>> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>>
>>> I have an Elisp form in an Org source block, returning a (multi-line)
>>> string.  I'd like to put that string into the same Org buffer.  I tried
>>> `:results raw', but the string contains `|' characters, so Org treats
>>> its as a table and tries to format it as such, which is not what I want.
>>>
>>> How to do that?
>>
>> Maybe :wrap example?
>
> Thanks a lot, that works!  (Apart from the issue with lines beginning
> with a star, possibly preceded by whitespace, which are "escaped" with
> a comma - but that is a known thing in Org, and I can easily circumvent
> it.)
>
> BTW, that means that my blog post for this weekend (about plotting
> charts from Org tables, all within Org mode and using ASCII art) is
> basically almost ready!

And here it is:
https://mbork.pl/2023-08-05_Plotting_ASCII_art_charts_from_Org_mode_tables

Thanks again!

--

@ 2023-08-05  9:49     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-05  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks a lot, that works!  (Apart from the issue with lines beginning
> with a star, possibly preceded by whitespace, which are "escaped" with
> a comma - but that is a known thing in Org, and I can easily circumvent
> it.)

May you elaborate why you consider this a bug?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: How to put a string produced by an Elisp form in an Org source block in the Org file?
@ 2023-08-06  5:53       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-08-06  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-08-05, at 11:49, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> Thanks a lot, that works!  (Apart from the issue with lines beginning
>> with a star, possibly preceded by whitespace, which are "escaped" with
>> a comma - but that is a known thing in Org, and I can easily circumvent
>> it.)
>
> May you elaborate why you consider this a bug?

I wouldn't call it a bug per se.  If my chart looks like this:

*
|*
| *
+--*-

it is displayed in Org example block as

,*
|*
| *
+--*-

If I change the character to `#' (which does not have a special meaning
to Org like the asterisk), I get the correct

#
|#
| #
+--#-

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I'm not sure how to word it better,
though...

Best,

--

@ 2023-08-06  8:50         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-06  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> May you elaborate why you consider this a bug?
>
> I wouldn't call it a bug per se.  If my chart looks like this:
>

> *
> |*
> | *
> +--*-
>
> it is displayed in Org example block as
>

> ,*
> |*
> | *
> +--*-

Is there any problem with the default results handling? By default, Org
uses fixed-width like

: |
: *
: |*
: | *
: +--*-

Except very long outputs. But see `org-babel-min-lines-for-block-output'.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: How to put a string produced by an Elisp form in an Org source block in the Org file?
@ 2023-08-08 13:23       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-08 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And here it is:
> https://mbork.pl/2023-08-05_Plotting_ASCII_art_charts_from_Org_mode_tables

There is also
(org-babel-ref-resolve "weight-data[-60:-1]")

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,