* org-agenda-list should respect org-agenda-max-entries
@ 2021-02-17  0:11 Ag Ibragimov
From: Ag Ibragimov @ 2021-02-17  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

While going through the source code, I've noticed that org-agenda-list scans all the files in org-agenda-files and processes all Org items those files contain.

However, it seems when org-agenda-max-entries or org-agenda-max-todos are not nil, it still processes every entry, and only after building the agenda it reduces the number of items in the list. It's okay, but if you have lots of files and tons of entries, it seems to be waste of time and resources.

Just wanted to bring someone's attention to that. Thank you!

* Re: org-agenda-list should respect org-agenda-max-entries
@ 2021-02-21  6:32 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-02-21  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ag Ibragimov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ag Ibragimov writes:

> While going through the source code, I've noticed that org-agenda-list
> scans all the files in org-agenda-files and processes all Org items
> those files contain.
>
> However, it seems when org-agenda-max-entries or org-agenda-max-todos
> are not nil, it still processes every entry, and only after building
> the agenda it reduces the number of items in the list. It's okay, but
> if you have lots of files and tons of entries, it seems to be waste of
> time and resources.

Hmm, it seems that org-agenda-finalize-entries sorts all the entries
before looking at org-agenda-max-entries and org-agenda-max-todos (which
makes sense), so wouldn't it generally need the entire set?