emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Trouble with capture template and prompt
@ 2016-09-06 10:20 Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2016-09-06 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have the following capture template defined in the customize
interface.

It used to work ok but now gives a cryptic (well at least to me) error:

I've narrowed down the bit that is breaking to the title prompt
definition.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm running org-mode from master compiled this morning.

This is not a new problem it's been around for a while I just haven't
tried to chase it down.

Here is the custom definition:

INS DEL Choice: Value Menu Template entry:
            Keys           : t
            Description    : todo
            Capture Type   : Value Menu Org entry
            Target location: Value Menu File:
            Filename       : Value Menu Literal: ~/.org/refile.org
            Template       : Value Menu String: * TODO %^{Todo}
%u
%a
%?
            Plist:
            [ ] Key: :prepend t
            [ ] Key: :immediate-finish t
            [ ] Key: :jump-to-captured t
            [ ] Key: :empty-lines 1
            [ ] Key: :empty-lines-before 1
            [ ] Key: :empty-lines-after 1
            [X] Key: :clock-in t
            [ ] Key: :clock-keep t
            [X] Key: :clock-resume t
            [ ] Key: :unnarrowed t
            [ ] Key: :table-line-pos t
            [ ] Key: :kill-buffer t
                        INS

The error that is shown in the messages buffer is:

Template key:
Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c)

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Bart
--

Bart Bunting

* Trouble with capture template and prompt
@ 2016-09-12 13:32 Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2016-09-12 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Tried to send this to the list a few days back but don't think it made
it.

Sorry if it is duplicated.

-----

Hi,

I have the following capture template defined in the customize
interface.

It used to work ok but now gives a cryptic (well at least to me) error:

I think I've narrowed down the part that is breaking to the title prompt
[...]

* Re: Trouble with capture template and prompt
@ 2016-09-12 23:17 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-09-12 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bart Bunting <bart@bunting.net.au> writes:

> The error that is shown in the messages buffer is:
>
> Template key:
> Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c)

I think this means that you have tried to specify the capture template
key incorrectly.  It would be helpful if you could show us the elisp
code that defines the template rather than the customize-option screen.
:)  e.g.:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
'(("a" "Appointment" entry
   (file+datetree+prompt
    (concat org-directory "/calendar.org")
    "Calendar")
   "* %^{Description} %T %^G\n\n%U %?" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
  ("t" "Task" entry
   (file "")
   "* TODO %^{Description}    %^G\n\n%U %?" :clock-in t :clock-resume t))
#+END_SRC

* Re: Trouble with capture template and prompt
@ 2016-09-13 20:00   ` Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2016-09-13 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter, emacs-orgmode

Adam,

Here it is from .customize.

Several of the entries I do not use but thought I should include the
entire variable.

 '(org-capture-templates
   (quote
    (("t" "todo" entry
      (file "~/.org/refile.org")
      "* TODO %^{Todo}
%u
%a
%?" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
     ("r" "respond" entry
      (file "~/.org/refile.org")
      "* NEXT Respond to %:from on %:subject
SCHEDULED: %t
%U
%a
" :immediate-finish t :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
     ("n" "note" entry
      (file "~/.org/refile.org")
      "* %? :NOTE:
%U
%a
" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
     ("j" "Journal" entry
      (file+datetree "~/.org/diary.org")
      "* %?
%U
" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
     ("w" "org-protocol" entry
      (file "~/.org/refile.org")
      "* TODO Review %c
%U
" :immediate-finish t)
     ("m" "Meeting" entry
      (file "~/.org/refile.org")
      "* MEETING with %? :MEETING:
%U" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
     ("p" "password" entry
      (file "~/filing/p/passwords.gpg")
      "* %^{Title}
   %^{USERNAME}p %^{PASSWORD}p")
     ("P" "Phone call" entry
      (file "~/.org/refile.org")
      "* PHONE %? :PHONE:
%U" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
     ("h" "Habit" entry
      (file "~/.org/refile.org")
      "* NEXT %?
%U
%a
SCHEDULED: %(format-time-string \"<%Y-%m-%d %a .+1d/3d>\")
:PROPERTIES:
:STYLE: habit
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: NEXT
:END:
"))))

Kind regards
Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> Bart Bunting <bart@bunting.net.au> writes:
>
>> The error that is shown in the messages buffer is:
>>
>> Template key:
>> Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c)
>
> I think this means that you have tried to specify the capture template
> key incorrectly.  It would be helpful if you could show us the elisp
> code that defines the template rather than the customize-option screen.
> :)  e.g.:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
> '(("a" "Appointment" entry
>    (file+datetree+prompt
>     (concat org-directory "/calendar.org")
>     "Calendar")
>    "* %^{Description} %T %^G\n\n%U %?" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
>   ("t" "Task" entry
>    (file "")
>    "* TODO %^{Description}    %^G\n\n%U %?" :clock-in t :clock-resume t))
> #+END_SRC

Bart
--

@ 2016-09-14  4:47     ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-09-14  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bart Bunting <bart@bunting.net.au> writes:

> Several of the entries I do not use but thought I should include the
> entire variable.

Hi Bart,

Well, that looks okay to me.  Going back to the original error message
you provided, isn't C-c ! bound to insert an inactive org timestamp by
default?  It's strange that it would be involved here.

I think that whatever is the problem, it's not in the capture templates,
but somewhere else in your Org config.  But I would suggest, as a first
step, trying to reduce the problematic capture template to the bare
minimum, item by item, to see if you can make it work without the error.
If you can, whatever you remove that's causing it should point you
toward the problem.

One other thing, you said that that code is from .customize.  Is there
anything related to the capture templates in your other config files?

* Re: Trouble with capture template and prompt
@ 2016-09-14 12:17       ` Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2016-09-14 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter, emacs-orgmode

Adam,

I sort of had already narrowed it down but am unsure of how to debug
further.

Removing %^{Todo}  from the template and everything works.

Of course the thing that doesn't work is that org no longer prompts me
for the title of the task to create which makes me sad :).

Any suggestions on how to dig into this further?

Here is the output when debug-on-error is set to t:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c)")
  signal(error ("Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c)"))
  error("Capture abort: %s" (error "Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c"))
  org-capture(nil)
  #<subr funcall-interactively>(org-capture nil)
  apply(#<subr funcall-interactively> org-capture nil)
  ad-Advice-funcall-interactively(#<subr funcall-interactively> org-capture nil)
  apply(ad-Advice-funcall-interactively #<subr funcall-interactively> (org-capture nil))
  funcall-interactively(org-capture nil)
  #<subr call-interactively>(org-capture nil nil)
  ad-Advice-call-interactively(#<subr call-interactively> org-capture nil nil)
  apply(ad-Advice-call-interactively #<subr call-interactively> (org-capture nil nil))
  call-interactively(org-capture nil nil)
  command-execute(org-capture)

I have some other bits of org config in my main config file but not sure
that they would cause breakage like this.

The other thing is that I use emacspeak which is probably the advice
calls shown in the debug above.  Hard for me to test without it though
as then I can't use emacs.

Could try ripping out almost all of the org config and see if that
helps.

I could also try an earlier version of emacspeak in case the error is
being caused by the advice in some strange way.

Kind regards

Bart

@ 2016-09-14 13:48         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-09-14 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bart Bunting <bart@bunting.net.au> writes:

> Adam,
>
> I sort of had already narrowed it down but am unsure of how to debug
> further.
>
> Removing %^{Todo}  from the template and everything works.
>
> Of course the thing that doesn't work is that org no longer prompts me
> for the title of the task to create which makes me sad :).
>
> Any suggestions on how to dig into this further?
>
> Here is the output when debug-on-error is set to t:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c)")
>   signal(error ("Capture abort: (error Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c)"))
>   error("Capture abort: %s" (error "Key sequence C-c ! starts with non-prefix key C-c"))
>   org-capture(nil)
>   #<subr funcall-interactively>(org-capture nil)
>   apply(#<subr funcall-interactively> org-capture nil)
>   ad-Advice-funcall-interactively(#<subr funcall-interactively> org-capture nil)
>   apply(ad-Advice-funcall-interactively #<subr funcall-interactively> (org-capture nil))
>   funcall-interactively(org-capture nil)
>   #<subr call-interactively>(org-capture nil nil)
>   ad-Advice-call-interactively(#<subr call-interactively> org-capture nil nil)
>   apply(ad-Advice-call-interactively #<subr call-interactively> (org-capture nil nil))
>   call-interactively(org-capture nil nil)
>   command-execute(org-capture)

See if you can get a backtrace with uncompiled code: it is much more informative.
See

  (info "(org) Feedback")

in particular the section "How to create a useful backtrace".

@ 2016-09-15 16:57         ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-09-15 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bart Bunting <bart@bunting.net.au> writes:

Hi Bart,

> I sort of had already narrowed it down but am unsure of how to debug
> further.
>
> Removing %^{Todo}  from the template and everything works.

Just a shot in the dark, which shouldn't make any difference, but try
this template, which works for me:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
("t" "Task" entry
      (file "")
      "* TODO %^{Description}    %^G

%U %?" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
#+END_SRC

You might also try replacing %^{Todo} with %^{Description}, just for fun.

> Any suggestions on how to dig into this further?

That backtrace doesn't seem helpful to me either.  Maybe Nick's advice
will help here.  :)

> I have some other bits of org config in my main config file but not sure
> that they would cause breakage like this.

Hard to say without testing.  If nothing else works, try using the
bug-hunter package from MELPA to bisect your config, keeping the
template unchanged (i.e. you could eval the template manually when
testing).  If there is something in your config causing it, this should
narrow it down for you.

> The other thing is that I use emacspeak which is probably the advice
> calls shown in the debug above.  Hard for me to test without it though
> as then I can't use emacs.

That definitely makes it much more challenging.  I'm sorry I can't be
much help here, as I know nothing about emacspeak.

> I could also try an earlier version of emacspeak in case the error is
> being caused by the advice in some strange way.

If it's not too time-consuming, that'd be a good idea too.

Also, sorry if you already mentioned this, but you might try using a
newer version of Org if possible.