emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [BUG] Get "Args out of range" when trying to link heading with completion from inside a footnote
@ 2023-11-30 21:04 lukeflo
From: lukeflo @ 2023-11-30 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everybody,

I'm writing a thesis and having trouble linking internal headings from
within footnotes of my document. Its the first time I'm submitting to
the mailing list, so if I oversaw some rules, just tell me so I can
learn about it.

My problem is the following. When I create a footnote with C-c C-x f or
org-footnote-new, and then try to link to an internal heading of my
document typing [[*xyz]] and hitting M-tab for completion, I get nothing
but the message in the minibuffer which says "args-out-of-range "" 1
nil". If I manually type the name of the heading and export to PDF
through LaTeX, the result is fine. But since some Headings are really
long, auto-completion would be very helpful here. From everywhere else
inside my document auto-completion for internal links works fine.

First I thought it might be due to my init settings and my completion
package (corfu with cape and orderless). But the error remains even when
I find a new file from the CLI with `emacs -q test.org` with the simple
content of:

* A heading

Some great text. [fn:1]

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Link to [[*]]

The behaviour is the same as described above. When hitting M-tab after
the asterisk, I still get "Args out of range: "", 1, nil" and nothing
further happens.

Thus, it seems like a bug to me, since it is not working even with this
very simple setup.

I'm looking forward for some hints, a solution or even a reproof if I
propably made an error.

Best,
lukeflo

* Re: [BUG] Get "Args out of range" when trying to link heading with completion from inside a footnote
@ 2023-12-04 14:58 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-12-04 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukeflo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

lukeflo@posteo.de writes:

> My problem is the following. When I create a footnote with C-c C-x f or
> org-footnote-new, and then try to link to an internal heading of my
> document typing [[*xyz]] and hitting M-tab for completion, I get nothing
> but the message in the minibuffer which says "args-out-of-range "" 1
> nil". If I manually type the name of the heading and export to PDF
> through LaTeX, the result is fine. But since some Headings are really
> long, auto-completion would be very helpful here. From everywhere else
> inside my document auto-completion for internal links works fine.
> Thus, it seems like a bug to me, since it is not working even with this
> very simple setup.

Yes, it is a real bug.
It has been reported previously in https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/DB9PR06MB7753E0E548B2FB6614285847C61B9@DB9PR06MB7753.eurprd06.prod.outlook.com/

I wish someone more familiar with Emacs completion innards were to take
a look on this problem. I am not sure what is going wrong there.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Get "Args out of range" when trying to link heading with completion from inside a footnote
@ 2024-01-07 15:51   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-01-07 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukeflo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Yes, it is a real bug.