emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Tags v. PROPERTIES for noexport and ignoreheadings
@ 2016-01-05 23:17 Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2016-01-05 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi List,

I'm trying to figure out when I should be using tags and when I should be using properties, for the cases of "noexport" and "ignoringheading".

I think I began using Org before either of these features were supported. Then people provide code snippets that added this functionality based on tags. About a month ago I think I learned that there is now a PROPERTY drawer keyword. I switched to that at the time, but now I cannot find the message that suggested this change, nor can I find the correct keyword I invoke (org-set-property).

Thanks,

  -k.

* Re: Tags v. PROPERTIES for noexport and ignoreheadings
@ 2016-01-05 23:29 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-01-05 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm trying to figure out when I should be using tags and when I should
> be using properties, for the cases of "noexport" and
> "ignoringheading".

If you are working on a patch to be submitted to org, you should use a
property unless you have good reasons not to (IMO).  If you are working on
a hack do whatever you want...

Rasmus

--
Together we'll stand, divided we'll fall

* Re: Tags v. PROPERTIES for noexport and ignoreheadings
@ 2016-01-05 23:38   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2016-01-05 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-01-05 at 18:29, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm trying to figure out when I should be using tags and when I
>> should be using properties, for the cases of "noexport" and
>> "ignoringheading".
>
> If you are working on a patch to be submitted to org, you should use a
> property unless you have good reasons not to (IMO). If you are working
> on a hack do whatever you want...

I'm asking as an end-user writing a document. I'd rather use an official solution than a hack. I've been using the hacked tag solution but thought that there was a recent official change.

@ 2016-01-05 23:51     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-01-05 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2016-01-05 at 18:29, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I'm trying to figure out when I should be using tags and when I
>
>>> should be using properties, for the cases of "noexport" and
>>> "ignoringheading".
>>
>> If you are working on a patch to be submitted to org, you should use a
>> property unless you have good reasons not to (IMO). If you are working
>> on a hack do whatever you want...
>
> I'm asking as an end-user writing a document. I'd rather use an
> official solution than a hack. I've been using the hacked tag solution
> but thought that there was a recent official change.

There’s no consensus.  As you mentioned there's noexport tags.
ox-koma-letter relies heavily on tags as well.  UNNUMBERED is a
property...

There’s no official way to use ignoreheadings.  The closes thing is the
ox-extra in contrib where Aaron curates a couple of hacks (the
ignoreheadings one by was first posted by Eric Schulte, I think when he
wrote about his thesis in Org).  That filter also uses a tag ("ignore"),
but it would be trivial to change to a property, if you prefer.

Eventually, it would be nice to add a ignoreheading property and a
"insert-just-before-heading" property (e.g. for @@latex:\clearpage@@) in
ox.  We are not there yet.

Rasmus

--