emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* refile whole files as headings?
@ 2015-09-01 16:16 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-09-01 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I am reorganizing my courses, consolidating many short files into longer
ones. So, for instance, I have a directory like:

✗ ls Assignments

ClassProjectGuidelines.org
course-blog.org
essay-assignment.org
ProjectProposal.org
STA-01-CSS.org
STA-02-wordpress-themes.org
STA-03-Foundation.org
STA-04-maps.org

I'd like to turn this into Assignments.org, with a structure like this:

* ClassProjectGuidelines.org
* course-blog.org
* essay-assignment.org
* ProjectProposal.org
* STA-01-CSS.org
* STA-02-wordpress-themes.org
* STA-03-Foundation.org
* STA-04-maps.org

It's sort of the reverse of Marcin's one-to-many export issue as described
in another thread.  Best ways to accomplish this? thx,

* Re: refile whole files as headings?
@ 2015-09-01 20:03 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-09-01 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I am reorganizing my courses, consolidating many short files into longer ones. So, for instance, I have
> a directory like:
>
> ✗ ls Assignments
>
> ClassProjectGuidelines.org
> course-blog.org
> essay-assignment.org
> ProjectProposal.org
> STA-01-CSS.org
> STA-02-wordpress-themes.org
> STA-03-Foundation.org
> STA-04-maps.org
>
> I'd like to turn this into Assignments.org, with a structure like this:
>
> * ClassProjectGuidelines.org
> * course-blog.org
> * essay-assignment.org
> * ProjectProposal.org
> * STA-01-CSS.org
> * STA-02-wordpress-themes.org
> * STA-03-Foundation.org
> * STA-04-maps.org
>
> It's sort of the reverse of Marcin's one-to-many export issue as described in another thread.  Best ways
> to accomplish this? thx,

A shell script:

cd Assignments
for f in *.org; do
  echo "* $f"
  cat $f
done > Assignments.org

If you need to change the levels of the headings in the files,
use a sed script instead of cat:

   sed '/^\*/s/&/**/' $f

Nick

* Re: refile whole files as headings?
@ 2015-09-02  1:18   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-09-02  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: Org Mode

Thank you so much Nick!

I am terrible with sed and with pipes, and ended up having two problems
when trying to use this code with sed; I ended up modifying it to the
following:

for f in *.org; do
    echo "* $f" >> allofem.org
    # cat $f
    cat $f | sed 's/^\*/**/' >> allofem.org
done

not as elegant looking as yours, but it worked for me.

very helpful and much appreciated!

@ 2015-09-02  3:05     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-09-02  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you so much Nick!
>
> I am terrible with sed and with pipes, and ended up having two problems when trying to use this code with sed; I ended up modifying it to the following:
>
> for f in *.org; do
>     echo "* $f" >> allofem.org
>     # cat $f
>     cat $f | sed 's/^\*/**/' >> allofem.org
> done
>
> not as elegant looking as yours, but it worked for me.

Except that I screwed up: the sed invocations was wrong:

     cd Assignments
     for f in *.org; do
       echo "\* $f"
     done > Assignments.org

should work (maybe I should try it out... nah, what could go wrong?)

>     If you need to change the levels of the headings in the files,
>     use a sed script instead of cat:

Sorry about that.

--
Nick