emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Specifying document-specific settings: line breaks and unusual spacing
@ 2017-04-25 18:18 GRAWeeLD
From: GRAWeeLD @ 2017-04-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Org-Mode community,

I am rather new to Org-mode itself and have still a lot to read about in
the official manual, but I cannot seem to find a method for specifying
document specific behaviour in Org-Mode.

For example, if I want all line breaks to be exported exactly with the same
indentation as I have for them in my specific document, there seems to be
no way to do this.

Sure, I can use \\ to create a new line break, and that works great, but if
I indent my text differently,

                for
                              example
                                                          like

 a straircase

this indentation will not be preserved as such upon PDF export.

Now, I found that AsciiDoc solved this somewhat by allowing the user to
insert

[/hardbreaks]

                   format                       your   text o d d l y

[hardbreaks/]

at the beginning of a particular section within a document, and if
this is inserted, then everything would be rendered as it is seen on
screen upon export as well.

Granted, I am not suggesting that this preservation should be
Org-Mode's default behaviour, not at all. I want only certain portions
of my book to be formatted in this odd way, the rest should be
perfectly precisely aligned, as is the case at this very time.

Thank you for your time and considerations towards this proposal.

* Re: Specifying document-specific settings: line breaks and unusual spacing
@ 2017-04-25 19:13 ` GRAWeeLD
From: GRAWeeLD @ 2017-04-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I tried something like this:

#+FREE_FLOW
U n res train                      ed text
#+FREE_FLOW

and while this did admittedly came somewhat closer to what I desire by
exporting the escaped characters and new lines as being a little
smaller than those which were typed normally. This, however, still
wasn't a full free text formatting.

@ 2017-04-26 14:33   ` GRAWeeLD
From: GRAWeeLD @ 2017-04-26 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

AsciiDoc also used the [literal] style for inordinately formatted blocks of
text. Maybe something like #+UNFORMATTED_TEXT could be an OrgMode property
which handles this. Or maybe OrgMOde already has something to handle
free-floating text and I just missed it?

@ 2017-04-26 19:44     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-04-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GRAWeeLD; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

GRAWeeLD <graweeld@gmail.com> writes:

> AsciiDoc also used the [literal] style for inordinately formatted blocks of
> text. Maybe something like #+UNFORMATTED_TEXT could be an OrgMode property
> which handles this. Or maybe OrgMOde already has something to handle
> free-floating text and I just missed it?

See (info "(org) Paragraphs"), in particular

  #+begin_verse
  #+end_verse

Regards,

--