emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* HTML Export - Footnotes inconcistency
@ 2018-09-28 12:39 Matthias Paulmier
From: Matthias Paulmier @ 2018-09-28 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I came across this problem today (or maybe it is intended but I couldn't
find any explanation in the docs). There is an inconsistency on how
inline/anonymous and named footnotes are exported in HTML. For example,
with the following source:

#+TITLE: Testing footnotes
#+LANGUAGE: en

Testing[fn::test1] footnotes[fn:2]

[fn:2] test2

Exports to this :

<h2 class="footnotes">Footnotes: </h2>

We can see here that the named footnote creates a paragraph of the same
class as the parent container "footpara" whereas the inlined one doesn't
create this.  If this is intended, why?  If not, which is the intended
one?

Reagards.
--
Matthias Paulmier

* Re: HTML Export - Footnotes inconcistency
@ 2018-10-01 17:39 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-10-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Paulmier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Matthias Paulmier <matthias.paulmier@etu.u-bordeaux.fr> writes:

> I came across this problem today (or maybe it is intended but I couldn't
> find any explanation in the docs). There is an inconsistency on how
> inline/anonymous and named footnotes are exported in HTML. For example,
> with the following source:
>
> #+TITLE: Testing footnotes
> #+LANGUAGE: en
>
> Testing[fn::test1] footnotes[fn:2]
>
> [fn:2] test2
>

> Exports to this :
>
> <h2 class="footnotes">Footnotes: </h2>

> We can see here that the named footnote creates a paragraph of the same
> class as the parent container "footpara" whereas the inlined one doesn't
> create this.  If this is intended, why?  If not, which is the intended
> one?

This is intended, in a way, since the inline footnote is not a paragraph
by itself. It is contained within a paragraph. This explains why you
cannot have blank lines within an inline footnote.

OTOH, a footnote definition can contain multiple paragraphs.

I don't know if that's a good thing, but these differences at the Org
level are translated into the HTML output.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: HTML Export - Footnotes inconcistency
@ 2018-10-01 19:06   ` Matthias Paulmier
From: Matthias Paulmier @ 2018-10-01 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> This is intended, in a way, since the inline footnote is not a paragraph
> by itself. It is contained within a paragraph. This explains why you
> cannot have blank lines within an inline footnote.

I think I get the logic behind it. The problem is the inconsistency it
creates for the viewer. Does it really matter for them if I wrote my
footnote inline or not?

Thanks for your answer.
--

@ 2018-10-03 13:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-10-03 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Paulmier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Matthias Paulmier <matthias.paulmier@etu.u-bordeaux.fr> writes:

> I think I get the logic behind it. The problem is the inconsistency it
> creates for the viewer. Does it really matter for them if I wrote my
> footnote inline or not?

Inline footnotes are now wrapped within a paragraph. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou