emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* agenda files separation
@ 2008-07-15 13:30 D. Kapetanakis
From: D. Kapetanakis @ 2008-07-15 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear All,
Since like most of us I live a double or triple life I would like to
have a separation of the agenda files. I mean that I have one org-file
for work with all the todo items, projects etc, one for my personal
study, books I want to read, songs I want to learn to play etc, for
home, for my kids and the list goes on...

But I would like them to appear in different agenda views, i.e. at work
only the work file, or if I want to see how my other projects are going
to see that only. If I use all of them together, they look very messy
and cluttered.

Any ideas?
Dimitris

the system manager.

* Re: agenda files separation
@ 2008-07-15 14:38 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-07-15 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. Kapetanakis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"D. Kapetanakis" <dkapeta@mednautilus.gr> writes:

> Since like most of us I live a double or triple life I would like to
> have a separation of the agenda files. I mean that I have one org-file
> for work with all the todo items, projects etc, one for my personal
> study, books I want to read, songs I want to learn to play etc, for
> home, for my kids and the list goes on...
>
> But I would like them to appear in different agenda views, i.e. at work
> only the work file, or if I want to see how my other projects are going
> to see that only. If I use all of them together, they look very messy
> and cluttered.
>
> Any ideas?

If you have your projects split into groups by file you can limit the
agenda view to that single file with C-a a 1 a

-Bernt

* Re: Re: agenda files separation
@ 2008-07-15 14:54   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-07-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen (bernt@norang.ca) wrote:
> "D. Kapetanakis" <dkapeta@mednautilus.gr> writes:
>
> > Since like most of us I live a double or triple life I would like to
> > have a separation of the agenda files. I mean that I have one org-file
> > for work with all the todo items, projects etc, one for my personal
> > study, books I want to read, songs I want to learn to play etc, for
> > home, for my kids and the list goes on...
> >
> > But I would like them to appear in different agenda views, i.e. at work
> > only the work file, or if I want to see how my other projects are going
> > to see that only. If I use all of them together, they look very messy
> > and cluttered.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> If you have your projects split into groups by file you can limit the
> agenda view to that single file with C-a a 1 a

Or if you have multiple files for work, multiple for personal use
etc., you can use categories for this, e.g. put this in all personal
files:

  #+CATEGORY: personal

Then your agenda custom commands etc. can filter via
CATEGORY="personal".  It's a bit of a pain configuring each custom
command with this, but it works fine.

* Re: Re: agenda files separation
@ 2008-07-15 18:16     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-07-15 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers, emacs-orgmode

  On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
  > Bernt Hansen wrote:
  >> "D. Kapetanakis" writes:
  >>
  >> > Since like most of us I live a double or triple life I would like to
  >> > have a separation of the agenda files. I mean that I have one org-file
  >> > for work with all the todo items, projects etc, one for my personal
  >> > study, books I want to read, songs I want to learn to play etc, for
  >> > home, for my kids and the list goes on...
  >> >
  >> > But I would like them to appear in different agenda views, i.e. at work
  >> > only the work file, or if I want to see how my other projects are going
  >> > to see that only. If I use all of them together, they look very messy
  >> > and cluttered.
  >> >
  >> > Any ideas?
  >>
  >> If you have your projects split into groups by file you can limit the
  >> agenda view to that single file with C-a a 1 a
  >
  > Or if you have multiple files for work, multiple for personal use
  > etc., you can use categories for this, e.g. put this in all personal
  > files:
  >
  > #+CATEGORY: personal
  >
  > Then your agenda custom commands etc. can filter via
  > CATEGORY="personal". It's a bit of a pain configuring each custom
  > command with this, but it works fine.

Another option is to use "< buffer, subtree/region restriction"
option while creating agenda using "C-c a".  Please also see
section 10.1 of Org manual
http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-files.html#Agenda-files

Briefly, if you hit "<" after "C-c a", then the agenda will be
restricted to displaying only the items from current buffer.  If
you press "<" twice, then the agenda view will be limited to only
the current subtree.  Sec. 10.1 talks about setting and removing
permanent restriction on agenda.  This way you can focus on only
the work items at work, home items at home (it does seem you have
split at least work items in a separate file) and even on a
specific area/project (subtree really) if you so wish.

HTH,
-- Manish