emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Select default clocking task by Bernt Hansen
@ 2010-09-05  4:13 Yevgeniy A. Viktorov
From: Yevgeniy A. Viktorov @ 2010-09-05  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I've been reading http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html
and a bit stack with http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Clocking

as far I understand Bernt has "* Organization"(first level) task in his norang.org
and according to this:

> The first punch-in of the day (f9 I) shows the context agenda view
> if no default task is selected, otherwise it just clocks in the
> default task.

it must be shown in agenda, but it's not, I seeing empty agenda with the following:
Set default clocking task with C-u C-u I

And according to Custom Agenda Views setup
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#sec-6

              ("c" "Select default clocking task" tags "LEVEL=2-REFILE"
               ((org-agenda-skip-function
                 '(org-agenda-skip-subtree-if 'notregexp "^\\*\\* Organization"))
                (org-agenda-overriding-header "Set default clocking task with C-u C-u I"))))))

"Organization" task must be placed onto second level, i.e. it only
works if I put "** Organization" somewhere. But than I'm loosing
concept, thought default task must be set per organization/client
file?

Would be nice if someone could throw light on this :)

Thanks.

* Re: Select default clocking task by Bernt Hansen
@ 2010-09-06 23:28 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-09-06 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yevgeniy A. Viktorov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yevgeniy A. Viktorov <yevgeniy.viktorov@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've been reading http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html
> and a bit stack with http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Clocking
>
> as far I understand Bernt has "* Organization"(first level) task in his norang.org
> and according to this:
>
>> The first punch-in of the day (f9 I) shows the context agenda view
>> if no default task is selected, otherwise it just clocks in the
>> default task.
>
> it must be shown in agenda, but it's not, I seeing empty agenda with the following:
> Set default clocking task with C-u C-u I
>
> And according to Custom Agenda Views setup
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#sec-6
>
>               ("c" "Select default clocking task" tags "LEVEL=2-REFILE"
>                ((org-agenda-skip-function
>                  '(org-agenda-skip-subtree-if 'notregexp "^\\*\\* Organization"))
>                 (org-agenda-overriding-header "Set default clocking task with C-u C-u I"))))))
>
> "Organization" task must be placed onto second level, i.e. it only
> works if I put "** Organization" somewhere. But than I'm loosing
> concept, thought default task must be set per organization/client
> file?
>
> Would be nice if someone could throw light on this :)
>
> Thanks.

Hi Yevgeniy,

I actually have 3 'Organization' tasks that I clock in -- all at
level 2.  These are in 3 different org files and are listed in my
org-agenda-files variable.

My current layout is like this:

,----[ todo.org ]
`----

,----[ org.org ]
`----

,----[ norang.org ]
| #+FILETAGS: NORANG
| * Administration						      :admin:
| ** Organization
`----

I used to have a first level * Organization task when I was clocking in
by ID but that set up has changed.  It's possible I still have
references to the old layout in the document that needs to be
updated.

Sorry about the confusion.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve the documentation to
make this more clear?

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Select default clocking task by Bernt Hansen
@ 2010-09-07  3:08   ` Yevgeniy A. Viktorov
From: Yevgeniy A. Viktorov @ 2010-09-07  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:28:43 -0400,
Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Hi Yevgeniy,
>
> I actually have 3 'Organization' tasks that I clock in -- all at
> level 2.  These are in 3 different org files and are listed in my
> org-agenda-files variable.
>
> My current layout is like this:
>
> ,----[ todo.org ]
> | #+FILETAGS: HOME
> | * Miscellaneous							       :misc:
> | ** Organization
> `----
>
> ,----[ org.org ]
> | #+FILETAGS: ORG
> | * Tuning 							     :tuning:
> | ** Organization
> `----
>
> ,----[ norang.org ]
> | #+FILETAGS: NORANG
> | * Administration						      :admin:
> | ** Organization
> `----
>
> I used to have a first level * Organization task when I was clocking in
> by ID but that set up has changed.  It's possible I still have
> references to the old layout in the document that needs to be
> updated.
>
> Sorry about the confusion.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve the documentation to
> make this more clear?

Hello Bernt,

thank you for examples, I really lost it :)

would be nice to fix references to first level * Organization,
i.e. mostly to replace "* Organization" with "** Organization" and
include above examples.

As far I understand you categorize organization by work you usually do in
some context if no other task specified or using "Misc" when there is no
appropriate category?

* Re: Select default clocking task by Bernt Hansen
@ 2010-09-07  5:57     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-07  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yevgeniy A. Viktorov <yevgeniy.viktorov@gmail.com> writes:

> At Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:28:43 -0400,
> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>>
>> Hi Yevgeniy,
>>
>> I actually have 3 'Organization' tasks that I clock in -- all at
>> level 2.  These are in 3 different org files and are listed in my
>> org-agenda-files variable.
>>
>> My current layout is like this:
>>
>> ,----[ todo.org ]
>> | #+FILETAGS: HOME
>> | * Miscellaneous							       :misc:
>> | ** Organization
>> `----
>>
>> ,----[ org.org ]
>> | #+FILETAGS: ORG
>> | * Tuning 							     :tuning:
>> | ** Organization
>> `----
>>
>> ,----[ norang.org ]
>> | #+FILETAGS: NORANG
>> | * Administration						      :admin:
>> | ** Organization
>> `----
>>
>> I used to have a first level * Organization task when I was clocking in
>> by ID but that set up has changed.  It's possible I still have
>> references to the old layout in the document that needs to be
>> updated.
>>
>> Sorry about the confusion.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve the documentation to
>> make this more clear?
>
> Hello Bernt,
>
> thank you for examples, I really lost it :)
>
> would be nice to fix references to first level * Organization,
> i.e. mostly to replace "* Organization" with "** Organization" and
> include above examples.
>
> As far I understand you categorize organization by work you usually do in
> some context if no other task specified or using "Misc" when there is no
> appropriate category?

Just to add a "ra ra" to this post Bernd. Your page on using Org is
singularly the most useful I have come across and I have meant to get
back and reimplement your method following a bit of a ".emacs" clean up
recently.  I think I sent some feedback before but if youÄre planning
any overhaul I'll wait a while and then run through the updated version
once more.

regards

r.

* Re: Select default clocking task by Bernt Hansen
@ 2010-09-07 10:07     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-09-07 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yevgeniy A. Viktorov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Yevgeniy A. Viktorov" <yevgeniy.viktorov@gmail.com> writes:

> thank you for examples, I really lost it :)
>
> would be nice to fix references to first level * Organization,
> i.e. mostly to replace "* Organization" with "** Organization" and
> include above examples.

Okay I've added that to my todo list :)

> As far I understand you categorize organization by work you usually do in
> some context if no other task specified or using "Misc" when there is no
> appropriate category?

Essentially yes.  If I'm working on tasks for my company Norang then I
set the norang.org Organization task as the default task.  I'll work on
tasks in norang.org, clocking them in and out and any leftover remaining
time goes to the organization task in that file.

If I switch contexts to some client's projects then I set the
Organization task in that client file as the default task and work on
their tasks.  Leftover time is then clocked against the client.  This
way if I work for a client from 10AM-noon and clock in various tasks in
the client file I get 2 hours of clocked time for the client even if the
individual tasks I clock in only add up to 1 hour 55 minutes.  The
leftover 5 minutes end up on the organization task for that client and
it's a more accurate reflection of where I really spent my time.

If I am interrupted by something during that work I create a capture
task which automatically clocks in for whatever amount of time that
interruption takes and minutes are allocated to the right project when
that task is refiled to the appropriate org file.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Select default clocking task by Bernt Hansen
@ 2010-09-07 10:13       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-09-07 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Just to add a "ra ra" to this post Bernd. Your page on using Org is
> singularly the most useful I have come across and I have meant to get
> back and reimplement your method following a bit of a ".emacs" clean up
> recently.  I think I sent some feedback before but if youÄre planning
> any overhaul I'll wait a while and then run through the updated version
> once more.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback :)  I'm not really planning an overhaul of the
entire document but if you see any errors and omissions please let me
know.  I update the document approximately monthly with new stable
changes to my workflow and the history of changes can be found in the
last section with a link to the git archive detailing exactly what
changed.

Regards,
Bernt