emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Footnotes in the manual (hidden option?)
@ 2018-05-16 18:25 ST
From: ST @ 2018-05-16 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hello,

in the manual

https://orgmode.org/manual/Footnotes.html#Footnotes

it says that footnotes[fn:1]

[fn:1] look like this

but actually[1]

[1] works as well and looks even better.

So why this option is not documented?

Thank you!

* Re: Footnotes in the manual (hidden option?)
@ 2018-05-16 18:31 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-05-16 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ST; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 2:27 PM ST <smntov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in the manual
>
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Footnotes.html#Footnotes
>
> it says that footnotes[fn:1]
>
> [fn:1] look like this
>

> but actually[1]
>
> [1] works as well and looks even better.
>
> So why this option is not documented?

I would think that's so because canonically Org mode using [fn:1] style. It
looks like you are manually typing the footnote refs and definitions.

Try using C-c C-x f binding.. you will see that Org inserts the footnotes
in the documented style.

I would say that the "fn"-style footnotes remove any kind of ambiguity..
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Footnotes in the manual (hidden option?)
@ 2018-05-16 19:03   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-05-16 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Org-mode, ST

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> I would think that's so because canonically Org mode using [fn:1] style. It
> looks like you are manually typing the footnote refs and definitions.
>
> Try using C-c C-x f binding.. you will see that Org inserts the footnotes
> in the documented style.
>
> I would say that the "fn"-style footnotes remove any kind of
> ambiguity..

Moreover, [1]-like footnotes have been removed in 9.0. It's a bug if Org
thinks [1] is a footnote.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Footnotes in the manual (hidden option?)
@ 2018-11-13 10:38   ` ST
From: ST @ 2018-11-13 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Org-mode

On Wed, 2018-05-16 at 14:31 -0400, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 2:27 PM ST <smntov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         in the manual
>
>         https://orgmode.org/manual/Footnotes.html#Footnotes
>
>         it says that footnotes[fn:1]
>
>         [fn:1] look like this
>

>         but actually[1]
>
>         [1] works as well and looks even better.
>
>         So why this option is not documented?
>

> I would think that's so because canonically Org mode using [fn:1]
> style. It looks like you are manually typing the footnote refs and
> definitions.
>

> Try using C-c C-x f binding.. you will see that Org inserts the
> footnotes in the documented style.
>

> I would say that the "fn"-style footnotes remove any kind of
> ambiguity..

It's true that [1] alone may very well introduce ambiguity, but why not
to take something more lightweight and language/alphabet independent,
like [^1]?

1. It's three times shorter (its important if you type manually in
GitLab/GitHub without the C-c C-x f binding);
2. If you type in another language - you don't have to switch the
keyboard;
3. If your text is in another alphabet - latin "fn" disturbs the eye.
4. It feels a bit heavy as a markup for the lightweight org .

(a) May I propose the [^1] as an alternative footnotes syntax as a new
feature?
(b) How can I define such syntax by my own as a footnote?

@ 2018-11-13 16:44     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-13 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ST; +Cc: Org-mode, Kaushal Modi

Hello,

ST <smntov@gmail.com> writes:

> (a) May I propose the [^1] as an alternative footnotes syntax as a new
> feature?

I sympathize with your concern, and [^1] may not have been a bad choice
when footnotes were introduced, but that ship has sailed long ago.

There is enough footnote syntax in Org nowadays. I'd rather keep it that
way.

> (b) How can I define such syntax by my own as a footnote?

You may have to tweak some libraries, e.g., org-footnote.el and
org-element.el, but you're on your own here.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Footnotes in the manual (hidden option?)
@ 2018-11-13 19:04       ` ST
From: ST @ 2018-11-13 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode, Kaushal Modi

Hello,

> > (a) May I propose the [^1] as an alternative footnotes syntax as a new
> > feature?
>
> I sympathize with your concern, and [^1] may not have been a bad choice
> when footnotes were introduced, but that ship has sailed long ago.
>
> There is enough footnote syntax in Org nowadays.

I saw only "fn:" related variations in the docs...

>  I'd rather keep it that
> way.

Even if somebody else implements this and provides a patch?...

@ 2018-11-14 20:11         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-14 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ST; +Cc: Org-mode, Kaushal Modi

Hello,

ST <smntov@gmail.com> writes:

> I saw only "fn:" related variations in the docs...

Indeed, but every variation needs to be handled specifically, so it
ultimately counts as a different syntax.

> Even if somebody else implements this and provides a patch?...

Yes, please. This is a matter of design, not implementation. I'd like to
stabilize Org syntax as much as possible.

As a rule of thumb, I would only consider syntax changes only for:
1. broken syntax
2. missing feature
3. syntax hindering compatibility (e.g., conditional syntax)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou