emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Repeating TODOs
@ 2010-03-25  8:40 Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-03-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As I mentioned yesterday, I am trying to follow
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/tracking-habits.php

I have the following entry:

** TODO Go to the gym                   :habit:
   SCHEDULED: <2010-03-24 Wed .+2d>

and even managed to successfully go to the gym as planned :) However,
I couldn't update the status until today (the day after I completed
the task), so when I updated the status with C-c C-t it added the
next occurence two days from *today*. It might not always be the way
that I update the status a day after, sometimes it might be the same
day, or two days after, or whatever. Is there a way, short of
manually editing the file, of taking care of that? I know it's
because of the "." in the .+2d but given that sometimes I won't do it
on the planned date, I think it's best to have that in there - or is
there a better solution for when I miss the planned date?

* Re: Repeating TODOs
@ 2010-03-25 11:39 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-03-25 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary .; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Gary ." <emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> As I mentioned yesterday, I am trying to follow
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/tracking-habits.php
>
> I have the following entry:
>
> ** TODO Go to the gym                   :habit:
>    SCHEDULED: <2010-03-24 Wed .+2d>
>
> and even managed to successfully go to the gym as planned :) However,
> I couldn't update the status until today (the day after I completed
> the task), so when I updated the status with C-c C-t it added the
> next occurence two days from *today*. It might not always be the way
> that I update the status a day after, sometimes it might be the same
> day, or two days after, or whatever. Is there a way, short of
> manually editing the file, of taking care of that? I know it's
> because of the "." in the .+2d but given that sometimes I won't do it
> on the planned date, I think it's best to have that in there - or is
> there a better solution for when I miss the planned date?

I think it works as you want if you just drop the .
>    SCHEDULED: <2010-03-24 Wed +2d>

.+2d is 2 days from today
+2d  is 2 days later
++2d repeat 2 days later until the date is after today

I think all of these formats work with habits.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Repeating TODOs
@ 2010-03-25 18:32   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-03-25 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> I think it works as you want if you just drop the .
>>    SCHEDULED: <2010-03-24 Wed +2d>
> .+2d is 2 days from today
> +2d  is 2 days later
> ++2d repeat 2 days later until the date is after today
>
> I think all of these formats work with habits.

If this is really the case, I think the manual should be modified to
reflect this:

,----[ (info "(org)Tracking your habits") ]
|   5. The TODO may also have minimum and maximum ranges specified by
|      using the syntax `.+2d/3d', which says that you want to do the
|      task at least every three days, but at most every two days.
`----

The whole page gave me the impression that the .-syntax is the only one
supported.

Memnon

* Re: Repeating TODOs
@ 2010-03-25 21:19     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-03-25 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> I think it works as you want if you just drop the .
>>>    SCHEDULED: <2010-03-24 Wed +2d>
>> .+2d is 2 days from today
>> +2d  is 2 days later
>> ++2d repeat 2 days later until the date is after today
>>
>> I think all of these formats work with habits.
>
> If this is really the case, I think the manual should be modified to
> reflect this:
>
> ,----[ (info "(org)Tracking your habits") ]
> |   5. The TODO may also have minimum and maximum ranges specified by
> |      using the syntax `.+2d/3d', which says that you want to do the
> |      task at least every three days, but at most every two days.
> `----
>
> The whole page gave me the impression that the .-syntax is the only one
> supported.

It seemed to work for me but I didn't test it extensively.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Repeating TODOs
@ 2010-03-26 10:01     ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-03-26 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 3/25/10, Memnon Anon wrote:

> ,----[ (info "(org)Tracking your habits") ]
> |   5. The TODO may also have minimum and maximum ranges specified by
> |      using the syntax `.+2d/3d', which says that you want to do the
> |      task at least every three days, but at most every two days.
> `----
>
> The whole page gave me the impression that the .-syntax is the only one
> supported.

Right. That refers to org-habit.el from version 6.32
(http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-3.2). I was following
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/tracking-habits.php
as I am using an earlier version. Sorry if that wasn't clear.