emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Bug: LaTeX in HTML export [8.3.2 (release_8.3.2-380-g64aee4 @ /home/dominik/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2015-12-11 13:45 Dominik Schrempf
From: Dominik Schrempf @ 2015-12-11 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am trying to export a LaTeX code block into HTML and have a problem
when using lower (<) signs (maybe it also happens with greater signs but
I did not check that).

E.g., the following Org code leads to an error when viewing the HTML
file because the '<' sign is interpreted in a wrong way (I don't know
how but it seems to be interpreted as part of a tag) and MathJax does
not succeed then.

Org code:
#+BEGIN_SRC latex :results html
  \begin{equation}
    \text{if } 0<i<N
  \end{equation}
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+BEGIN_HTML
\begin{equation}
  \text{if } 0<i<N
\end{equation}
#+END_HTML

I.e., the Firefox HTML syntax checker shows the line '\end{equation}...'
in red in the HTML file.

HTML code:
\begin{equation}
  \text{if } 0<i<N
\end{equation}</li>
</ul>

If I add spaces in-between, it works fine.
#+BEGIN_SRC latex :results html
  \begin{equation}
    \text{if } 0 < i < N
  \end{equation}
#+END_SRC

Best wishes,
Dominik

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6)
 of 2015-09-10 on foutrelis
Package: Org-mode version 8.3.2 (release_8.3.2-380-g64aee4 @ /home/dominik/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)

* Re: Bug: LaTeX in HTML export [8.3.2 (release_8.3.2-380-g64aee4 @ /home/dominik/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2015-12-11 14:58 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-12-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: dominik.schrempf

Hi Dominik,

Thanks for your report.

Dominik Schrempf <dominik.schrempf@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to export a LaTeX code block into HTML and have a problem
> when using lower (<) signs (maybe it also happens with greater signs but
> I did not check that).
>
> E.g., the following Org code leads to an error when viewing the HTML
> file because the '<' sign is interpreted in a wrong way (I don't know
> how but it seems to be interpreted as part of a tag) and MathJax does
> not succeed then.

Your example suggests it's an upstream bug or feature.  Perhaps try:

     https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax/issues

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Dung makes an excellent fertilizer

* Re: Bug: LaTeX in HTML export [8.3.2 (release_8.3.2-380-g64aee4 @ /home/dominik/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2015-12-11 15:54   ` Dominik Schrempf
From: Dominik Schrempf @ 2015-12-11 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rasmus,

thanks for your answer.  I asked the people from MathJax and the problem
is HTML related. =<i= is interpreted as an HTML tag by the browser.

This behavior is well known and explained in the MathJax
Documentation.

http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/tex.html#tex-and-latex-in-html-documents

Maybe Org mode HTML export should take this into account, especially
because =<i= is used quite often?  I understand if this is not feasible.

Thanks,
Dominik

@ 2015-12-11 17:42     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-12-11 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dominik,

Thanks for investigating this further.

Dominik Schrempf <dominik.schrempf@gmail.com> writes:

> thanks for your answer.  I asked the people from MathJax and the problem
> is HTML related. =<i= is interpreted as an HTML tag by the browser.
>
> This behavior is well known and explained in the MathJax
> Documentation.
>
> http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/tex.html#tex-and-latex-in-html-documents

Thanks for the link.

> Maybe Org mode HTML export should take this into account, especially
> because =<i= is used quite often?  I understand if this is not feasible.

So you are advocating that Org tries to work around limitations in
html/MathJax?  Is this the *only* known case of mathjax not fully
supporting LaTeX?

It seems easy to fix in org-html-format-latex, but I’m not sure it’s the
right way to go (touching people’s math seems like a bad idea).  Does
e.g. KaTeX have this limitation as well?  Presumably, ’yes’.

Another option is simply documenting this behavior.

I’m not sure what is the right approach is here.

Rasmus

--
ツ