emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* strange behaviour with org-indent-mode
@ 2016-02-10 17:02 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-02-10 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

for a very long time now, my default org setting has been to use
org-indent-mode with visual-line-mode activated.  This has been working
very well until sometime since the start of the new year.  I have two
symptoms now:

1. org files, especially large ones (250kB+), do not actually indent
   automatically.

2. my org capture templates are introducing spaces at the start of lines
   in the capture buffer to line up the start of every line.  Very strange.

I have org-startup-indented set to t.

I am having difficulties tracking this down because a) the lack of
indenting doesn't happen all the time, just most of the time and b) I
don't think it happens with emacs -Q.  I'm looking for suggestions on
how to track down the root problem or if this rings anybody's bells.

Before anybody suggests bisecting, yes, bisecting my configuration would
probably help but it is such a convoluted configuration due to my using
emacs for 30+ years...  I guess I really should bit the bullet and clean
up my initialisation files soon!

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa

* Re: strange behaviour with org-indent-mode
@ 2016-02-10 20:20 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2016-02-10 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> for a very long time now, my default org setting has been to use
> org-indent-mode with visual-line-mode activated.  This has been working
> very well until sometime since the start of the new year.  I have two
> symptoms now:
>
> 1. org files, especially large ones (250kB+), do not actually indent
>    automatically.
>
> 2. my org capture templates are introducing spaces at the start of lines
>    in the capture buffer to line up the start of every line.  Very strange.
>
> I have org-startup-indented set to t.
>
> I am having difficulties tracking this down because a) the lack of
> indenting doesn't happen all the time, just most of the time and b) I
> don't think it happens with emacs -Q.  I'm looking for suggestions on
> how to track down the root problem or if this rings anybody's bells.
>
> Before anybody suggests bisecting, yes, bisecting my configuration would
> probably help but it is such a convoluted configuration due to my using
> emacs for 30+ years...  I guess I really should bit the bullet and clean
> up my initialisation files soon!

Maybe

,----
| C-h v org--indent TAB
`----

shows you some potential culprits?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: strange behaviour with org-indent-mode
@ 2016-02-11  9:14   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-02-11  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday, 10 Feb 2016 at 21:20, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

[...]

> Maybe
>
> ,----
> | C-h v org--indent TAB
> `----
>
> shows you some potential culprits?

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the suggestion.  This has helped me solve the second
problem.

It would appear that the environment for capture has changed and, to be
specific, the value of org-adapt-indentation is not being changed to
reflect the desired behaviour implied by org-indent-mode.  Globally
setting org-adapt-indentation to nil solves my problem.  Previously, I
did not need to set it to nil globally as it was set locally in any
buffer that was indented, from what I can infer.

Note that org-indent-mode-turns-off-org-adapt-indentation is set to t
which is why I think that capture is doing something wrong or, at least,
its behaviour has changed recently.

The first problem remains but I think I have found the culprit: the org
agenda.  If I load my files directly/explicitly, they indent.  If the
files, however, are loaded by org-agenda, they are not.

Thanks again,
eric
--

@ 2016-02-11 13:12     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-02-11 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> It would appear that the environment for capture has changed and, to be
> specific, the value of org-adapt-indentation is not being changed to
> reflect the desired behaviour implied by org-indent-mode.  Globally
> setting org-adapt-indentation to nil solves my problem.  Previously, I
> did not need to set it to nil globally as it was set locally in any
> buffer that was indented, from what I can infer.

Could you provide an ECM demonstrating the issue?

> Note that org-indent-mode-turns-off-org-adapt-indentation is set to t
> which is why I think that capture is doing something wrong or, at least,
> its behaviour has changed recently.
>
> The first problem remains but I think I have found the culprit: the org
> agenda.  If I load my files directly/explicitly, they indent.  If the
> files, however, are loaded by org-agenda, they are not.

Ditto.

Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: strange behaviour with org-indent-mode
@ 2016-02-11 15:59       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-02-11 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 14:12, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

[...]

> Could you provide an ECM demonstrating the issue?

I will try and will post here if I manage.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa