emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [BUG] Consider supporting C-x 4 and C-x 5 and C-x t in org-open-at-point [9.6.6 (release_9.6.6 @ /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)]
@ 2023-09-06 15:25 Vladimir Nikishkin
From: Vladimir Nikishkin @ 2023-09-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Org developers,

Emacs has a long established tradition of adjusting presentation mode
for a command using prefix parameters. One can run C-x 4 C-f to visit a
file in a new window. (C-x 5, and C-x t for the new frame and tab,
respectively). However, org-open-at-point does not seem to follow this
tradition.

Would it be possible to add it, at least for the types of links that are
known to work within Emacs itself, such as info: and *?

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-07-31
Package: Org mode version 9.6.6 (release_9.6.6 @ /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)
--
Your sincerely,
Vladimir Nikishkin (MiEr, lockywolf)

* Re: [BUG] Consider supporting C-x 4 and C-x 5 and C-x t in org-open-at-point [9.6.6 (release_9.6.6 @ /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)]
  2023-09-06 15:25 [BUG] Consider supporting C-x 4 and C-x 5 and C-x t in org-open-at-point [9.6.6 (release_9.6.6 @ /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)] Vladimir Nikishkin
@ 2023-09-07 10:54 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-07 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Nikishkin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vladimir Nikishkin <lockywolf@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs has a long established tradition of adjusting presentation mode
> for a command using prefix parameters.

True.

> ... One can run C-x 4 C-f to visit a
> file in a new window. (C-x 5, and C-x t for the new frame and tab,
> respectively).

... but C-x 4 is not a prefix argument - it is a prefix key that
triggers `ctl-x-4-map'. Same for C-x 5 - it triggers `ctl-x-5-map'.

> ... However, org-open-at-point does not seem to follow this
> tradition.

> Would it be possible to add it, at least for the types of links that are
> known to work within Emacs itself, such as info: and *?

I think that it will be acceptable to add new bindings like
C-x 4 C-c C-o and C-x 5 C-c C-o that will open a link in other window or
frame, if possible. Patches welcome!

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-09-07 10:57   ` Vladimir Nikishkin
From: Vladimir Nikishkin @ 2023-09-07 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Vladimir Nikishkin <lockywolf@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Emacs has a long established tradition of adjusting presentation mode
>> for a command using prefix parameters.
>
> True.
>
>> ... One can run C-x 4 C-f to visit a
>> file in a new window. (C-x 5, and C-x t for the new frame and tab,
>> respectively).
>
> ... but C-x 4 is not a prefix argument - it is a prefix key that
> triggers `ctl-x-4-map'. Same for C-x 5 - it triggers `ctl-x-5-map'.

That is why I wrote "prefix parameters", not "prefix arguments".

>> ... However, org-open-at-point does not seem to follow this
>> tradition.
>
>> Would it be possible to add it, at least for the types of links that are
>> known to work within Emacs itself, such as info: and *?
>
> I think that it will be acceptable to add new bindings like
> C-x 4 C-c C-o and C-x 5 C-c C-o that will open a link in other window or
> frame, if possible. Patches welcome!

:)

--

@ 2023-09-07 15:01   ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-09-07 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Nikishkin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 07/09/2023 17:54, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> I think that it will be acceptable to add new bindings like
> C-x 4 C-c C-o and C-x 5 C-c C-o that will open a link in other window or
> frame, if possible. Patches welcome!

Is it possible to make such bindings local to Org? E.g. `ffap-bindings'
(info "(emacs) FFAP")
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/FFAP.html
should work in all major modes while e.g.

C-c C-x b `org-tree-to-indirect-buffer'

is specific to Org. It may still have same options: frame, tab in
addition to current "other window" (and *same* window as well).

@ 2023-09-08  7:45     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-08  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: Vladimir Nikishkin, emacs-orgmode

> On 07/09/2023 17:54, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> I think that it will be acceptable to add new bindings like
>> C-x 4 C-c C-o and C-x 5 C-c C-o that will open a link in other window or
>> frame, if possible. Patches welcome!
>
> Is it possible to make such bindings local to Org?

Simply (org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "C-x 4 C-c C-o") #'org-open-at-point)
will do. Except that we will need to bind a different command there (to
honor the C-x 4 convention).

> C-c C-x b `org-tree-to-indirect-buffer'
>
> is specific to Org. It may still have same options: frame, tab in
> addition to current "other window" (and *same* window as well).

I have nothing against adding this command variants.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,