emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Need help exporting subtrees to html
@ 2009-12-27 16:34 Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2009-12-27 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I have written a function to export org-mode subtrees as jekyll posts,
http://juanreyero.com/open/org-jekyll/  The idea is that any entry in
an org-publish project that has a :blog: keyword and an :on: property
with a timestamp should be exported to a _posts directory with the
year-month-day-title.html that jekyll expects, with the properties as
front-matter.

I was very happy with it, until I realized that the levels of the
headers in the exported file (h2, h3, etc) depend on the indentation
of the subtree in the outline.  I wanted to be able to add a :blog:
subtree anywhere in my project's files, and get it always exported the
same, regardless of where in the outline it is.

Is there any reasonably simple way to overcome this problem?  I am using:

(org-narrow-to-subtree)
(setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))

to do the exporting (all the code is in github,
http://github.com/juanre/org-jekyll).  In summary, what I need is an
org-export-as-html that treats the least indented outline as a
0-indentation.

Best,

Juan
--
http://juanreyero.com/
http://unarueda.com

* Re: Need help exporting subtrees to html
@ 2009-12-27 18:35 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-27 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 27, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have written a function to export org-mode subtrees as jekyll posts,
> http://juanreyero.com/open/org-jekyll/  The idea is that any entry in
> an org-publish project that has a :blog: keyword and an :on: property
> with a timestamp should be exported to a _posts directory with the
> year-month-day-title.html that jekyll expects, with the properties as
> front-matter.
>
> I was very happy with it, until I realized that the levels of the
> headers in the exported file (h2, h3, etc) depend on the indentation
> of the subtree in the outline.  I wanted to be able to add a :blog:
> subtree anywhere in my project's files, and get it always exported the
> same, regardless of where in the outline it is.
>
> Is there any reasonably simple way to overcome this problem?  I am
> using:
>
> (org-narrow-to-subtree)
> (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))

Hi Juan,

Try this:

(outline-mark-subtree)
(setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Need help exporting subtrees to html
@ 2009-12-27 19:31   ` Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2009-12-27 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten,

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:
>> I have written a function to export org-mode subtrees as jekyll posts,
>> http://juanreyero.com/open/org-jekyll/  The idea is that any entry in
>> an org-publish project that has a :blog: keyword and an :on: property
>> with a timestamp should be exported to a _posts directory with the
>> year-month-day-title.html that jekyll expects, with the properties as
>> front-matter.
>>
>> I was very happy with it, until I realized that the levels of the
>> headers in the exported file (h2, h3, etc) depend on the indentation
>> of the subtree in the outline.  I wanted to be able to add a :blog:
>> subtree anywhere in my project's files, and get it always exported the
>> same, regardless of where in the outline it is.
>>
>> Is there any reasonably simple way to overcome this problem?  I am using:
>>
>> (org-narrow-to-subtree)
>> (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))
>
> Hi Juan,
>
> Try this:
>
> (outline-mark-subtree)
> (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))

Thanks for your answer.  I've tried it, but now it exports the whole
buffer, as if (outline-mark-subtree) didn't understand which subtree I
am looking at.  I am doing this from within an (org-map-entries).  If
I first narrow and then mark it doesn't work either: it complains of
"Before first headline at position...".

I have updated the tests at http://github.com/juanre/org-jekyll to
reflect the problem.

Best,

Juan
--

@ 2009-12-31  8:15     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-31  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 27, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Carsten Dominik
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 27, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:
>>> I have written a function to export org-mode subtrees as jekyll
>>> posts,
>>> http://juanreyero.com/open/org-jekyll/  The idea is that any entry
>>> in
>>> an org-publish project that has a :blog: keyword and an :on:
>>> property
>>> with a timestamp should be exported to a _posts directory with the
>>> year-month-day-title.html that jekyll expects, with the properties
>>> as
>>> front-matter.
>>>
>>> I was very happy with it, until I realized that the levels of the
>>> headers in the exported file (h2, h3, etc) depend on the indentation
>>> of the subtree in the outline.  I wanted to be able to add a :blog:
>>> subtree anywhere in my project's files, and get it always exported
>>> the
>>> same, regardless of where in the outline it is.
>>>
>>> Is there any reasonably simple way to overcome this problem?  I am
>>> using:
>>>
>>> (org-narrow-to-subtree)
>>> (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))
>>
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> (outline-mark-subtree)
>> (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))
>
> Thanks for your answer.  I've tried it, but now it exports the whole
> buffer, as if (outline-mark-subtree) didn't understand which subtree I
> am looking at.  I am doing this from within an (org-map-entries).  If
> I first narrow and then mark it doesn't work either: it complains of
> "Before first headline at position...".

You are right, this does not work as I had hoped.  What needs to be
done is that the tree must be selected, and the region needs to be
*active*
when the export command is called.  I am not quite sure right now
how to do this in the middle of a Lisp program....

- Carsten

> I have updated the tests at http://github.com/juanre/org-jekyll to
> reflect the problem.
>
> Best,
>
> Juan
> --
> http://juanreyero.com/
> http://unarueda.com

- Carsten

* Re: Need help exporting subtrees to html
@ 2009-12-31 13:50       ` Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2009-12-31 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Carsten Dominik
>> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Juan,
>>>
>>> Try this:
>>>
>>> (outline-mark-subtree)
>>> (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))
>>
>> Thanks for your answer.  I've tried it, but now it exports the whole
>> buffer, as if (outline-mark-subtree) didn't understand which subtree I
>> am looking at.  I am doing this from within an (org-map-entries).  If
>> I first narrow and then mark it doesn't work either: it complains of
>> "Before first headline at position...".
>
> You are right, this does not work as I had hoped.  What needs to be
> done is that the tree must be selected, and the region needs to be *active*
> when the export command is called.  I am not quite sure right now
> how to do this in the middle of a Lisp program....

Looks like it is not going to be a small investment.  For the time
being I'll stick to writing blog posts as first-level entries, and
I'll try to figure it out when I find some more time.  Thank you very
much for your answers.

Cheers,

Juan

--

@ 2009-12-31 17:15         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-12-31 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juan Reyero <joanmg@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Carsten Dominik
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 27, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:
[...]
> Looks like it is not going to be a small investment.  For the time
> being I'll stick to writing blog posts as first-level entries, and
> I'll try to figure it out when I find some more time.  Thank you very
> much for your answers.

Hi,

If it helps, I've been doing something similar to support publishing
updates on the org-babel development -- using the code shown here [1]
under the "Development Updates" section.  This generates a files in
_posts for each subtree of of the "tasks" and "bugs" sections which have
a time-stamp in their properties.  It should be fairly straightforward
to adapt this code to export all properties as YAML frontmatter.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://eschulte.github.com/babel-dev/publish.html

* Re: Need help exporting subtrees to html
@ 2009-12-31 17:17           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-12-31 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also, please share your results with Worg

- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jekyll.php
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-blog-wiki.php

Thanks -- Eric

@ 2009-12-31 18:02           ` Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2009-12-31 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Juan Reyero <joanmg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Carsten Dominik
>> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it helps, I've been doing something similar to support publishing
> updates on the org-babel development -- using the code shown here [1]
> under the "Development Updates" section.  This generates a files in
> _posts for each subtree of of the "tasks" and "bugs" sections which have
> a time-stamp in their properties.  It should be fairly straightforward
> to adapt this code to export all properties as YAML frontmatter.

It is exactly what I did :-).  I found your code here [1], and adapted
it so that it would use files in an org-publish project and would
export properties.  So thank you very much for making it available.
It does, however, have the same problem I find: the header level with
which the piece is exported (h1, h2, etc) depends on the outline level
on which the item you export happened to be.  I was hoping to export
the chunks independently of where they were written.

I will share it with Worg as soon as I manage to make it work.

Best,

Juan

Footnotes:
[1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jekyll.php (end of document).

@ 2009-12-31 19:51             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-12-31 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juan Reyero <joanmg@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Juan Reyero <joanmg@gmail.com> writes:

>> If it helps, I've been doing something similar to support publishing
>> updates on the org-babel development -- using the code shown here [1]
>> under the "Development Updates" section.  This generates a files in
>> _posts for each subtree of of the "tasks" and "bugs" sections which have
>> a time-stamp in their properties.  It should be fairly straightforward
>> to adapt this code to export all properties as YAML frontmatter.
>
> It is exactly what I did :-).  I found your code here [1], and adapted
> it so that it would use files in an org-publish project and would
> export properties.

Ah, I should have read the thread more carefully :)

> So thank you very much for making it available.  It does, however,
> have the same problem I find: the header level with which the piece is
> exported (h1, h2, etc) depends on the outline level on which the item
> you export happened to be.  I was hoping to export the chunks
> independently of where they were written.

So this turned out to be somewhat tricky.  I was able to adjust my
previous code so that every subtree will be promoted to a top-level
heading before export by adding the following (this change can also be
seen in my published code here [1]).

                (org-narrow-to-subtree)
                (let ((level (- (org-outline-level) 1))
                      (contents (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))
                  (dotimes (n level nil) (org-promote-subtree))
                  (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))
                  (set-buffer org-buffer)
                  (delete-region (point-min) (point-max))
                  (insert contents)
                  (save-buffer))
                (widen)

Hope this helps. Cheers -- Eric

@ 2010-01-01 13:33               ` Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2010-01-01 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Juan Reyero <joanmg@gmail.com> writes:

>>> If it helps, I've been doing something similar to support publishing
>>> updates on the org-babel development -- using the code shown here [1]
>>> under the "Development Updates" section.  This generates a files in
>>> _posts for each subtree of of the "tasks" and "bugs" sections which have
>>> a time-stamp in their properties.  It should be fairly straightforward
>>> to adapt this code to export all properties as YAML frontmatter.
>>
>> It is exactly what I did :-).  I found your code here [1], and adapted
>> it so that it would use files in an org-publish project and would
>> export properties.
>
> Ah, I should have read the thread more carefully :)
>
>> So thank you very much for making it available.  It does, however,
>> have the same problem I find: the header level with which the piece is
>> exported (h1, h2, etc) depends on the outline level on which the item
>> you export happened to be.  I was hoping to export the chunks
>> independently of where they were written.
>>

> So this turned out to be somewhat tricky.  I was able to adjust my
> previous code so that every subtree will be promoted to a top-level
> heading before export by adding the following (this change can also be
> seen in my published code here [1]).

>                (org-narrow-to-subtree)
>                (let ((level (- (org-outline-level) 1))
>                      (contents (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))
>                  (dotimes (n level nil) (org-promote-subtree))
>                  (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))
>                  (set-buffer org-buffer)
>                  (delete-region (point-min) (point-max))
>                  (insert contents)
>                  (save-buffer))
>                (widen)

It works!  Thank you _very_ much.  I've just had to add a
org-reduced-level to the org-outline-level, like

(org-reduced-level (org-outline-level)).

I've updated it in github and on
http://juanreyero.com/open/org-jekyll/, and I'll try to add something
to worg this afternoon.

Best,