emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-feed and http_proxy
@ 2010-04-09 12:44 zwz
From: zwz @ 2010-04-09 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Now and then I have to set http_proxy for internet access.

I do it in emacs, e.g. by
(setenv "http_proxy" "http://10.10.10.10:808")

Ok, now org-feed will use this proxy and works great.

Later, I find the proxy is down, so I switch to another proxy
(setenv "http_proxy" "http://10.10.10.20:808")

and then M-x org-feed-update-all,
the message shows that org-feed is still using the old proxy
"http://10.10.10.10:808"

I don't know if it is related to org-feed, hope someone has the answer.

By the way, I can not get the feeds from codeproject.
My setting:
("codeproject"
         "http://www.codeproject.com/webservices/articlerss.aspx?cat=2"
         "~/.org/feeds.org" "C++ on CodeProject"
         :parse-feed org-feed-parse-atom-feed :parse-entry org-feed-parse-atom-entry)

* Re: org-feed and http_proxy
@ 2010-04-09 13:07 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-09 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zwz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:44 PM, zwz wrote:

> Now and then I have to set http_proxy for internet access.
>
> I do it in emacs, e.g. by
> (setenv "http_proxy" "http://10.10.10.10:808")
>
> Ok, now org-feed will use this proxy and works great.
>
> Later, I find the proxy is down, so I switch to another proxy
> (setenv "http_proxy" "http://10.10.10.20:808")
>
> and then M-x org-feed-update-all,
> the message shows that org-feed is still using the old proxy
> "http://10.10.10.10:808"
>
> I don't know if it is related to org-feed, hope someone has the
> answer.

Org-mode is using url-retrieve-synchonously, so this must be a cacheing
issue in the url package.

One thing you might try is to use curl or wget instead - see the
variable
`org-feed-retrieve-method'.

> By the way, I can not get the feeds from codeproject.
> My setting:
> ("codeproject"
>         "http://www.codeproject.com/webservices/articlerss.aspx?cat=2"
>         "~/.org/feeds.org" "C++ on CodeProject"
>         :parse-feed org-feed-parse-atom-feed :parse-entry org-feed-
> parse-atom-entry)

This is an atom feed, and I did not write that part. magnus.henoch@gmail.com
  did, maybe ask him?

- Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: org-feed and http_proxy
@ 2010-04-09 13:29 ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2010-04-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> writes:

> By the way, I can not get the feeds from codeproject.
> My setting:
> ("codeproject"
>          "http://www.codeproject.com/webservices/articlerss.aspx?cat=2"
>          "~/.org/feeds.org" "C++ on CodeProject"
>          :parse-feed org-feed-parse-atom-feed :parse-entry org-feed-parse-atom-entry)

When I open that URL in Firefox and view the source, it turns out to be
an RSS file.  So just remove the :parse-feed and :parse-entry items; the
default is to parse the file as an RSS file.

--
Magnus Henoch

* Re: org-feed and http_proxy
@ 2010-04-09 14:41   ` zwz
From: zwz @ 2010-04-09 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Magnus Henoch <magnus.henoch@gmail.com> writes:

> zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> By the way, I can not get the feeds from codeproject.
>> My setting:
>> ("codeproject"
>>          "http://www.codeproject.com/webservices/articlerss.aspx?cat=2"
>>          "~/.org/feeds.org" "C++ on CodeProject"
>> :parse-feed org-feed-parse-atom-feed :parse-entry org-feed-parse-atom-entry)
>
> When I open that URL in Firefox and view the source, it turns out to be
> an RSS file.  So just remove the :parse-feed and :parse-entry items; the
> default is to parse the file as an RSS file.

Ooooh, my fault ;)
Thanks!

* Re: org-feed and http_proxy
@ 2010-04-09 14:43   ` zwz
From: zwz @ 2010-04-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:44 PM, zwz wrote:
>
>> Now and then I have to set http_proxy for internet access.
>>
>> I do it in emacs, e.g. by
>> (setenv "http_proxy" "http://10.10.10.10:808")
>>
>> Ok, now org-feed will use this proxy and works great.
>>
>> Later, I find the proxy is down, so I switch to another proxy
>> (setenv "http_proxy" "http://10.10.10.20:808")
>>
>> and then M-x org-feed-update-all,
>> the message shows that org-feed is still using the old proxy
>> "http://10.10.10.10:808"
>>
>> I don't know if it is related to org-feed, hope someone has the answer.
>
> Org-mode is using url-retrieve-synchonously, so this must be a cacheing
> issue in the url package.
>
> One thing you might try is to use curl or wget instead - see the variable
> `org-feed-retrieve-method'.

I do not know there is such a variable
is it introduced in 6.35?
I will try out the latest version. Thanks!

>> By the way, I can not get the feeds from codeproject.
>> My setting:
>> ("codeproject"
>>         "http://www.codeproject.com/webservices/articlerss.aspx?cat=2"
>>         "~/.org/feeds.org" "C++ on CodeProject"
>>         :parse-feed org-feed-parse-atom-feed :parse-entry org-feed-
>> parse-atom-entry)
>
> This is an atom feed, and I did not write that part. magnus.henoch@gmail.com
>  did, maybe ask him?
>
> - Carsten

> - Carsten

* Re: Re: org-feed and http_proxy
@ 2010-04-09 14:47     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-09 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zwz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 9, 2010, at 4:43 PM, zwz wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:44 PM, zwz wrote:
>>
>>> Now and then I have to set http_proxy for internet access.
>>>
>>> I do it in emacs, e.g. by
>>> (setenv "http_proxy" "http://10.10.10.10:808")
>>>
>>> Ok, now org-feed will use this proxy and works great.
>>>
>>> Later, I find the proxy is down, so I switch to another proxy
>>> (setenv "http_proxy" "http://10.10.10.20:808")
>>>
>>> and then M-x org-feed-update-all,
>>> the message shows that org-feed is still using the old proxy
>>> "http://10.10.10.10:808"
>>>
>>> I don't know if it is related to org-feed, hope someone has the
>>> answer.
>>
>> Org-mode is using url-retrieve-synchonously, so this must be a
>> cacheing
>> issue in the url package.
>>
>> One thing you might try is to use curl or wget instead - see the
>> variable
>> `org-feed-retrieve-method'.
>>

> I do not know there is such a variable
> is it introduced in 6.35?

No, I think this has been always present.

- Carsten

> I will try out the latest version. Thanks!
>

>>> By the way, I can not get the feeds from codeproject.
>>> My setting:
>>> ("codeproject"
>>>        "http://www.codeproject.com/webservices/articlerss.aspx?
>>> cat=2"
>>>        "~/.org/feeds.org" "C++ on CodeProject"
>>>        :parse-feed org-feed-parse-atom-feed :parse-entry org-feed-
>>> parse-atom-entry)
>>
>> This is an atom feed, and I did not write that part. magnus.henoch@gmail.com
>> did, maybe ask him?
>>
>> - Carsten

>> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Re: org-feed and http_proxy
@ 2010-04-09 14:55     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-04-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zwz; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
> > Org-mode is using url-retrieve-synchonously, so this must be a cacheing
> > issue in the url package.
> >
> > One thing you might try is to use curl or wget instead - see the variable
> > `org-feed-retrieve-method'.
> >

> I do not know there is such a variable
> is it introduced in 6.35?
> I will try out the latest version. Thanks!

It was introduced way back when:

,----
| commit b6e7a1c5ca283b37a0d73e397b3d7dd2f5e58227
| Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
| Date:   Tue Mar 24 10:20:30 2009 +0100
|
|     New file lisp/org-feed.el

| +(defcustom org-feed-retrieve-method 'url-retrieve-synchronously
| +  "The method to be used to retrieve a feed URL.
| +This can be `curl' or `wget' to call these external programs, or it can be
| +an Emacs Lisp function that will return a buffer containing the content
| +of the file pointed to by the URL."
`----

You might not have had org-feed.el loaded when you went looking for it.

Nick

* Re: Re: org-feed and http_proxy
@ 2010-04-09 16:01       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-09 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, zwz

On Apr 9, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Org-mode is using url-retrieve-synchonously, so this must be a
>>> cacheing
>>> issue in the url package.
>>>
>>> One thing you might try is to use curl or wget instead - see the
>>> variable
>>> `org-feed-retrieve-method'.
>>>

>> I do not know there is such a variable
>> is it introduced in 6.35?
>> I will try out the latest version. Thanks!
>>

> It was introduced way back when:
>
> ,----
> | commit b6e7a1c5ca283b37a0d73e397b3d7dd2f5e58227
> | Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
> | Date:   Tue Mar 24 10:20:30 2009 +0100
> |
> |     New file lisp/org-feed.el

> | +(defcustom org-feed-retrieve-method 'url-retrieve-synchronously
> | +  "The method to be used to retrieve a feed URL.
> | +This can be `curl' or `wget' to call these external programs, or
> it can be
> | +an Emacs Lisp function that will return a buffer containing the
> content
> | +of the file pointed to by the URL."
> `----

Ahhh, the joys of git.

:-) Carsten

> You might not have had org-feed.el loaded when you went looking for
> it.
>
> Nick

- Carsten