emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-schedule vs org-time-stamp
@ 2013-09-15 19:07 Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2013-09-15 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

I'm not clear on how these two are intended to be used. The former
prefixes the timestamp with "SCHEDULED:" but I'm not sure what practical
consequences this has. Items appear in the agenda either way.

* Re: org-schedule vs org-time-stamp
@ 2013-09-15 19:38 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-09-15 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Paul Rudin,

Paul Rudin wrote:
> I'm not clear on how these two are intended to be used. The former
> prefixes the timestamp with "SCHEDULED:" but I'm not sure what practical
> consequences this has. Items appear in the agenda either way.

You should absolutely read the chapter 8 ("Dates and Times") of the Org
manual.

In summary, active timestamps only will appear on the day of the timestamp.
It's good for meetings or birthdays or events that naturally only occur at a
certain day.

SCHEDULED timestamps indicate when you want to start working on a task. Such
items will appear every day, on and on, in your agenda until you mark them
done.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org-schedule vs org-time-stamp
@ 2013-09-15 19:43   ` Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2013-09-15 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Paul Rudin,
>
> Paul Rudin wrote:
>> I'm not clear on how these two are intended to be used. The former
>> prefixes the timestamp with "SCHEDULED:" but I'm not sure what practical
>> consequences this has. Items appear in the agenda either way.
>
> You should absolutely read the chapter 8 ("Dates and Times") of the Org
> manual.
>
> In summary, active timestamps only will appear on the day of the timestamp.
> It's good for meetings or birthdays or events that naturally only occur at a
> certain day.
>
> SCHEDULED timestamps indicate when you want to start working on a task. Such
> items will appear every day, on and on, in your agenda until you mark them
> done.

Ah yes, I see. Thanks.