emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-agenda-skip-function not honored by 'tags-tree' custom agenda view
@ 2023-08-14 20:45 João O'Neill Cortes
From: João O'Neill Cortes @ 2023-08-14 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tested with org-mode version 9.7-pre.
Looking at section 'A.7 Special Agenda Views' of the info org-manual.

It is stated that 'tags-tree' searches can set
'org-agenda-skip-function' to some function that decides on the
visibilty of each match.  For what I gathered, by setting up something
like this,

     (org-add-agenda-custom-command
      '("b" tags-tree "some-tag"
        ((org-agenda-skip-function 'my-skip-function)
         )))

, and then calling 'org-agenda' and selecting the 'b' entry.

It does not work, and 'my-skip-function' never fires after the request
is made. It works for some types of special agenda views though, like
'todo', but not with 'tags-tree'.

Is this a bug?

* Re: org-agenda-skip-function not honored by 'tags-tree' custom agenda view
@ 2023-08-15 10:34 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-15 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João O'Neill Cortes; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

João O'Neill Cortes <joaooneillcortes@outlook.pt> writes:

> Tested with org-mode version 9.7-pre.
> Looking at section 'A.7 Special Agenda Views' of the info org-manual.
>
> It is stated that 'tags-tree' searches can set
> 'org-agenda-skip-function' to some function that decides on the
> visibilty of each match.
> Is this a bug?

Sparse trees do not currently support `org-agenda-skip-function'.
So, I can say that it is a bug in the manual.
Or, we might support user-defined skip function in sparse trees.

Currently, the reason skip function is not used is in `org-scan-tags':

(unless (eq action 'sparse-tree) (org-agenda-skip el))

This is done to avoid `org-agenda-skip-comment-trees',
`org-agenda-skip-archived-trees', and `org-agenda-skip-function-global'
affecting sparse trees.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,