emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* access scattered notes centralized
@ 2009-12-12 22:11 Kestutis Matonis
From: Kestutis Matonis @ 2009-12-12 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to clear up one thing.
Lets say i have notes in
/home/documents/work/note.org,
/home/documents/computers/note.org,
and i would like that they would stay there, but also i would like to
access all scattered  notes from one  place (that is, i wanna know
what notes i have).

Can i do this in emacs org-mode? How?

* Re: access scattered notes centralized
@ 2009-12-13 15:04 ` PT
From: PT @ 2009-12-13 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kestutis Matonis <matonisk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to clear up one thing.
> Lets say i have notes in
> /home/documents/work/note.org,
> /home/documents/computers/note.org,
> and i would like that they would stay there, but also i would like to
> access all scattered  notes from one  place (that is, i wanna know
> what notes i have).
>
> Can i do this in emacs org-mode? How?

Keep a master org file with links to all the other org files:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Hyperlinks.html#Hyperlinks

That's what I do. I visit the master file and from there I can access any
of the scattered note files.

* Re: access scattered notes centralized
@ 2009-12-13 15:08 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2009-12-13 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kestutis Matonis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:11:33 +0200,
Kestutis Matonis wrote:

> I would like to clear up one thing.
> Lets say i have notes in
> /home/documents/work/note.org,
> /home/documents/computers/note.org,
> and i would like that they would stay there, but also i would like to
> access all scattered  notes from one  place (that is, i wanna know
> what notes i have).
>
> Can i do this in emacs org-mode? How?

Well, if you do not specify categories for headlines or files Orgmode
choses the filename without extension to be the category of all
headlines inside this file. Hence all notes in work/note.org and
computers/note.org belong to the same category "note".

If both files are added to `org-agenda-files' you can perform a
search query:

C-a m CATEGORY="note" RET

Regards,

  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x316F4BE4670716FD
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

* Re: access scattered notes centralized
@ 2009-12-13 15:16 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-13 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kestutis Matonis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kestutis Matonis <matonisk@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to clear up one thing.
> Lets say i have notes in
> /home/documents/work/note.org,
> /home/documents/computers/note.org,
> and i would like that they would stay there, but also i would like to
> access all scattered  notes from one  place (that is, i wanna know
> what notes i have).
>
> Can i do this in emacs org-mode? How?

http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-files.html#Agenda-files

- Matt