emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Repeater Options
@ 2010-01-17 20:31 Nick Parker
From: Nick Parker @ 2010-01-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to specify a todo item that is scheduled to repeat on the 3rd
Thursday of the month?  I tried to use +1m, however that does not work the
same way.  Any suggestions?

Nick Parker
www.developernotes.com

* Re: Repeater Options
@ 2010-01-17 21:39 ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-01-17 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Parker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 17.01.2010 21:31, Nick Parker wrote:
> Is there a way to specify a todo item that is scheduled to repeat on the
> 3rd Thursday of the month?  I tried to use +1m, however that does not
> work the same way.  Any suggestions?

For more complex repeaters like that, you need to use a diary sexp like
this:

<%%(diary-float t 4 3>

The 4 specifies the 4th day of the week
(0 = Sunday through 6 = Saturday).

The 3 specifies the first Thursday.

This is adapted from an example in the Org documentation; refer to
"Diary-style sexp entries" under "8.1 Timestamps, deadlines and scheduling".

I have an entry in my Org files which has two of these, to show up on
both the second and the fourth Tuesday of every month.

HTH, Jan

* Re: Repeater Options
@ 2010-01-17 21:42   ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-01-17 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Parker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 17.01.2010 22:39, Jan Böcker wrote:

> <%%(diary-float t 4 3>
                      ^ oops, missed a paren there.

This should be <%%(diary-float t 4 3)>

* Re: Repeater Options
@ 2010-01-17 22:12   ` Nick Parker
From: Nick Parker @ 2010-01-17 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Böcker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jan,

That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Nick Parker
www.developernotes.com

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Jan Böcker <jan.boecker@jboecker.de> wrote:

> On 17.01.2010 21:31, Nick Parker wrote:
> > Is there a way to specify a todo item that is scheduled to repeat on the
> > 3rd Thursday of the month?  I tried to use +1m, however that does not
> > work the same way.  Any suggestions?
>
> For more complex repeaters like that, you need to use a diary sexp like
> this:
>
> <%%(diary-float t 4 3>
>
> The 4 specifies the 4th day of the week
> (0 = Sunday through 6 = Saturday).
>
> The 3 specifies the first Thursday.
>
> This is adapted from an example in the Org documentation; refer to
> "Diary-style sexp entries" under "8.1 Timestamps, deadlines and
> scheduling".
>

> I have an entry in my Org files which has two of these, to show up on
> both the second and the fourth Tuesday of every month.
>
> HTH, Jan

* Re: Repeater Options
@ 2010-01-17 23:25   ` Ben Finney
From: Ben Finney @ 2010-01-17 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jan Böcker <jan.boecker@jboecker.de> writes:

> On 17.01.2010 21:31, Nick Parker wrote:
> > Is there a way to specify a todo item that is scheduled to repeat on
> > the 3rd Thursday of the month? I tried to use +1m, however that does
> > not work the same way. Any suggestions?
>
> For more complex repeaters like that, you need to use a diary sexp
> like this:
>
> <%%(diary-float t 4 3>

How does one make these into a date+time specification, so they will
show up at the correct place in the agenda?

> This is adapted from an example in the Org documentation; refer to
> "Diary-style sexp entries" under "8.1 Timestamps, deadlines and
> scheduling".

Can someone who knows how this is supposed to be done please add it to
the “Repeating” part of the documentation? That's where many people
evidently expect to find how to do this.

--
 \        “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more |
  `\    robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument |