emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* newbye questions
@ 2017-06-04 10:22 François Patte
From: François Patte @ 2017-06-04 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bonjour,

Ijust discovered org-mode for emacs and I want to explore the
capabilities of this mode for LaTeX documents.

I have a few preliminary questions:

1- I installed org-mode from ELPA and I get a warning message when I
open a *.org file:

Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Autoloading failed to define
function nnir-article-group")

What does it mean and how to get rid of this message.

2- I looked at some tutorials (for instance this one:
http://hiko-seijuro.developpez.com/articles/orgtutorial/)

It is said at the early beginning for a TODO list, that if you hit C-c
C-t TODO turns into DONE (that's right) and that a timestamp is
automatically added:
CLOSED: [date for closing]

I cannot get this behaviour.... I googled and find some list code to add
to my .emacs file, but this does not work....

What can I do?

Thank you.

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique

* Re: newbye questions
@ 2017-06-04 21:53 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-06-04 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> 2- I looked at some tutorials (for instance this one:
> http://hiko-seijuro.developpez.com/articles/orgtutorial/)
>
> It is said at the early beginning for a TODO list, that if you hit C-c
> C-t TODO turns into DONE (that's right) and that a timestamp is
> automatically added:
> CLOSED: [date for closing]
>
> I cannot get this behaviour.... I googled and find some list code to add
> to my .emacs file, but this does not work....

(setq org-log-done 'time)

See the section "Closing items" in the Org manual.

--
Nick

* Re: newbye questions
@ 2017-06-04 23:33 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-06-04 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> Bonjour,
>
> Ijust discovered org-mode for emacs and I want to explore the
> capabilities of this mode for LaTeX documents.
>
> I have a few preliminary questions:
>
> 1- I installed org-mode from ELPA and I get a warning message when I
> open a *.org file:
>
> Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Autoloading failed to define
> function nnir-article-group")
>
> What does it mean and how to get rid of this message.

That's a macro from Gnus, the mail/news client. I'm not quite sure why
it would be getting triggered from Org. Would you run
`toggle-debug-on-error', and trigger the warning again?

Eric

* Re: newbye questions
@ 2017-06-05  9:36   ` François Patte
From: François Patte @ 2017-06-05  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 05/06/2017 à 01:33, Eric Abrahamsen a écrit :
> François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:
>
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> Ijust discovered org-mode for emacs and I want to explore the
>> capabilities of this mode for LaTeX documents.
>>
>> I have a few preliminary questions:
>>
>> 1- I installed org-mode from ELPA and I get a warning message when I
>> open a *.org file:
>>
>> Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Autoloading failed to define
>> function nnir-article-group")
>>
>> What does it mean and how to get rid of this message.
>
> That's a macro from Gnus, the mail/news client. I'm not quite sure why
> it would be getting triggered from Org. Would you run
> `toggle-debug-on-error', and trigger the warning again?

I don't know much with the lisp syntax; here is what I have done:
opened emacs,
M-x  toggle-debug-on-error RET
C-f file.org

And the message is still there....

This message does not appear if I open file without the .org extension.

--

@ 2017-06-05 10:07     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-06-05 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> Le 05/06/2017 à 01:33, Eric Abrahamsen a écrit :
>> François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Bonjour,
>>>
>>> Ijust discovered org-mode for emacs and I want to explore the
>>> capabilities of this mode for LaTeX documents.
>>>
>>> I have a few preliminary questions:
>>>
>>> 1- I installed org-mode from ELPA and I get a warning message when I
>>> open a *.org file:
>>>
>>> Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Autoloading failed to define
>>> function nnir-article-group")
>>>
>>> What does it mean and how to get rid of this message.
>>
>> That's a macro from Gnus, the mail/news client. I'm not quite sure why
>> it would be getting triggered from Org. Would you run
>> `toggle-debug-on-error', and trigger the warning again?
>
> I don't know much with the lisp syntax; here is what I have done:
> opened emacs,
> M-x  toggle-debug-on-error RET
> C-f file.org
>
> And the message is still there....
>
> This message does not appear if I open file without the .org extension.

Sorry -- of course it's a *warning*, not an error.

My only guess is that this is caused by the call to `nnir-article-group'
inside `org-gnus-store-link' in the file org-gnus.el. That file has

(eval-when-compile (require 'gnus-sum))

And gnus-sum.el has:

(autoload 'nnir-article-group "nnir" nil nil 'macro)

So theoretically that should take care of it.

What version of Emacs are you using?

I really don't know why this would be happening (I'm not very good at
debugging compile/load errors), but I'll bet the above is the source of
the problem.

Eric

* Re: newbye questions
@ 2017-06-05 10:16       ` François Patte
From: François Patte @ 2017-06-05 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 05/06/2017 à 12:07, Eric Abrahamsen a écrit :
> François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

>>> That's a macro from Gnus, the mail/news client. I'm not quite sure why
>>> it would be getting triggered from Org. Would you run
>>> `toggle-debug-on-error', and trigger the warning again?
>>
>> I don't know much with the lisp syntax; here is what I have done:
>> opened emacs,
>> M-x  toggle-debug-on-error RET
>> C-f file.org
>>
>> And the message is still there....
>>
>> This message does not appear if I open file without the .org extension.
>
> Sorry -- of course it's a *warning*, not an error.
>
> My only guess is that this is caused by the call to `nnir-article-group'
> inside `org-gnus-store-link' in the file org-gnus.el. That file has
>
> (eval-when-compile (require 'gnus-sum))
>
> And gnus-sum.el has:
>
> (autoload 'nnir-article-group "nnir" nil nil 'macro)
>
> So theoretically that should take care of it.
>
> What version of Emacs are you using?

25.2.1

and org-mode version: 9.0.7 (from elpa)

--

@ 2017-06-05 14:21         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-06-05 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> Le 05/06/2017 à 12:07, Eric Abrahamsen a écrit :
>> François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

>>> I don't know much with the lisp syntax; here is what I have done:
>>> opened emacs,
>>> M-x  toggle-debug-on-error RET
>>> C-f file.org
>>>
>>> And the message is still there....
>>>
>>> This message does not appear if I open file without the .org extension.
>>
>> Sorry -- of course it's a *warning*, not an error.
>>
>> My only guess is that this is caused by the call to `nnir-article-group'
>> inside `org-gnus-store-link' in the file org-gnus.el. That file has
>>
>> (eval-when-compile (require 'gnus-sum))
>>
>> And gnus-sum.el has:
>>
>> (autoload 'nnir-article-group "nnir" nil nil 'macro)
>>
>> So theoretically that should take care of it.
>>
>> What version of Emacs are you using?
>
> 25.2.1
>
> and org-mode version: 9.0.7 (from elpa)

I'm sorry, I just don't know enough about how Emacs loads and evaluates
these forms to tell you what's going wrong. The nnir macro should
definitely be available in your setup. I don't even know why loading
that Org library would make it complain.

Hopefully someone with more experience can take it from here. Sorry!