emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org mode export from a large file is slow since release 8.3
@ 2015-12-05  2:05 Viktor Rosenfeld
From: Viktor Rosenfeld @ 2015-12-05  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I updated from 8.2.9 to 8.3.2 today and now the export has become very slow. Creating an HTML page or a LaTeX buffer used to be instantaneous but now takes up to 30 seconds.

It seems that this is mostly related to file size. For example, exporting a subtree from a large notes file (~8600 lines) is very slow (11 seconds) but if I truncate the file significantly (to ~3000 lines) the export is faster (<2 seconds), and if I move the subtree to a fresh file (while still exporting the subtree only and not the file) it is again instantaneous.

It also seems that the maint branch has fixed this problem somewhat, although I can’t really quantify it, but the problem persists.

In the *Messages* buffer, I see a new message that hasn’t been there before:

org-babel-exp process C at line 7982...
org-babel-exp process C at line 7998...
org-babel-exp process C at line 8024...
org-babel-exp process C at line 8064...
org-babel-exp process patch at line 8103...
org-babel-exp process patch at line 8119...
org-babel-exp process patch at line 8132...
org-babel-exp process patch at line 8148...
org-babel-exp process C at line 8179...
30 unique files scanned for IDs [8 times]

Curiously, after trying to debug this issue, the problem went away for one file but persists for another.

I am also able to reproduce this problem with an init.el file containing only:

;; use own Org-mode installation
(setq load-path (cons "~/unix/src/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "~/unix/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org)
(require 'ox-html)

I’m using CocoaEmacs 24.4 (9.0) installed via Homebrew on OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan).

Any idea what is causing this?

Best,
Viktor

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Org mode export from a large file is slow since release 8.3
@ 2015-12-05 12:26 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-12-05 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Viktor Rosenfeld; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Viktor Rosenfeld <v.rosenfeld@gmx.de> writes:

> I updated from 8.2.9 to 8.3.2 today and now the export has become very slow. Creating an HTML page or a LaTeX buffer used to be instantaneous but now takes up to 30 seconds.
>
> It seems that this is mostly related to file size. For example,
> exporting a subtree from a large notes file (~8600 lines) is very slow
> (11 seconds) but if I truncate the file significantly (to ~3000 lines)
> the export is faster (<2 seconds), and if I move the subtree to
> a fresh file (while still exporting the subtree only and not the file)
> it is again instantaneous.
>
> It also seems that the maint branch has fixed this problem somewhat, although I can’t really quantify it, but the problem persists.
>
> In the *Messages* buffer, I see a new message that hasn’t been there before:
>
> org-babel-exp process C at line 7982...
> org-babel-exp process C at line 7998...
> org-babel-exp process C at line 8024...
> org-babel-exp process C at line 8064...
> org-babel-exp process patch at line 8103...
> org-babel-exp process patch at line 8119...
> org-babel-exp process patch at line 8132...
> org-babel-exp process patch at line 8148...
> org-babel-exp process C at line 8179...
> 30 unique files scanned for IDs [8 times]
>
> Curiously, after trying to debug this issue, the problem went away for
> one file but persists for another.

IIRC this was fixed in master a few weeks ago. The export process was
scanning id:... links outside of the export scope.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou