emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Bug in org-latex (6.34c)?
@ 2010-01-23 11:39 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-01-23 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hello fellows

org-latex-export sticks to the header \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc},
albeit this is customized to \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}.
                                         ^^^^^
I added the "x" in all customizable classes as well as my own classes. I
also tried to add ("utf8" . "utf8x") to org-export-latex-inputenc-alist.
No improvement. The resulting tex-file still lacks the "x".

This was still working in 6.33.

Greetings,

Sven

* Re: Bug in org-latex (6.34c)?
@ 2010-01-23 16:23 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

On Jan 23, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> Hello fellows
>
> org-latex-export sticks to the header \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc},
> albeit this is customized to \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}.
>                                         ^^^^^
> I added the "x" in all customizable classes as well as my own
> classes. I
> also tried to add ("utf8" . "utf8x") to org-export-latex-inputenc-
> alist.

This works for me:

(setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x)))

Is this what you have?  Note the extra pair of parenthesis.....

> No improvement. The resulting tex-file still lacks the "x".
>
> This was still working in 6.33.

I can make a variable to turn this automatic fixing of inputenc off, so
that the configured value in org-export-latex-classes will always be
used....

- Carsten

> Greetings,
>
> Sven

- Carsten

* Re: Bug in org-latex (6.34c)?
@ 2010-01-23 18:48   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-01-23 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld, emacs-org

Hi Carsten

> This works for me:
>
> (setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x)))

Yes, that's working. Thank you very much.

> Is this what you have?

I set that function via customize. I think there was only one set og
parenthesis.

> I can make a variable to turn this automatic fixing of inputenc off, so
> that the configured value in org-export-latex-classes will always be
> used....

So, it's not a bug, it'a a feature. At least it should be documented in
a more accessible place. All the predefined export classes contain the
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} header. This suggests that having that line
or changing it would have any effect.

Thanks again and greetings,

Sven

* Re: Bug in org-latex (6.34c)?
@ 2010-01-23 23:26   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-01-23 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi Carsten

@ 2010-01-24  9:55     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-24  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

On Jan 24, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> Hi Carsten
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This works for me:
>>
>> (setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x)))
>
> Yes, that's working. Thank you very much.
>
>> Is this what you have?
>
> I set that function via customize. I think there was only one set og
> parenthesis.
>
>> I can make a variable to turn this automatic fixing of inputenc
>> off, so
>> that the configured value in org-export-latex-classes will always be
>> used....
>
> So, it's not a bug, it'a a feature. At least it should be documented
> in
> a more accessible place. All the predefined export classes contain the
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} header. This suggests that having that
> line
> or changing it would have any effect.

Maybe we should redefine the classes to use

\usepackage[BUFFERCODING]{inputenc}

and the only modify the coding system if it is the special value
BUFFERCODING, but not if the user has specified one explicitly......

- Carsten

> Thanks again and greetings,
>
> Sven

- Carsten

* Re: Bug in org-latex (6.34c)?
@ 2010-01-24 10:24       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-24 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org Mode

On Jan 24, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
>
>> Hi Carsten
>>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> This works for me:
>>>
>>> (setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x)))
>>
>> Yes, that's working. Thank you very much.
>>
>>> Is this what you have?
>>
>> I set that function via customize. I think there was only one set og
>> parenthesis.
>>
>>> I can make a variable to turn this automatic fixing of inputenc
>>> off, so
>>> that the configured value in org-export-latex-classes will always be
>>> used....
>>
>> So, it's not a bug, it'a a feature. At least it should be
>> documented in
>> a more accessible place. All the predefined export classes contain
>> the
>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} header. This suggests that having that
>> line
>> or changing it would have any effect.
>
> Maybe we should redefine the classes to use
>
> \usepackage[BUFFERCODING]{inputenc}
>
> and the only modify the coding system if it is the special value
> BUFFERCODING, but not if the user has specified one explicitly......

OK, when I can push next, it will work like this:

When the class defines

\usepackage[AUTO]{inputenc}

then Org will set the coding system automatically.  If the class
specifies
an explicit coding system like

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

it will be left alone.  This is a lot more predictable that what
I had before, thanks for making me change this.

- Carsten

> - Carsten
>

>> Thanks again and greetings,
>>
>> Sven

> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Bug in org-latex (6.34c)?
@ 2010-01-24 11:32         ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-01-24 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org Mode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> When the class defines
>
> \usepackage[AUTO]{inputenc}
>
> then Org will set the coding system automatically.  If the class
> specifies
> an explicit coding system like
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> it will be left alone.  This is a lot more predictable that what
> I had before, thanks for making me change this.

That seems the best way. Thanks again.

Greetings

Sven