emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-mode stopped compiling recently
@ 2010-06-28  0:08 Daniel Mahler
From: Daniel Mahler @ 2010-06-28  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

i get:

In toplevel form:
lisp/babel/ob-table.el:54:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: show-all
make: *** [lisp/babel/ob-table.elc] Error 1

i have tried 'make clean; git pull; make'' over several days with no change.
this must have happeed only last week or so,
since i had a sucessful sync not long before this started.

thanks
daniel

* Re: org-mode stopped compiling recently
@ 2010-06-28  0:12 ` Daniel Mahler
From: Daniel Mahler @ 2010-06-28  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

also to load the source i need to do (require 'org)
if i just (require 'org-install) and try to open my notes file
i get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-default-notes-file)
  (find-file org-default-notes-file)

thanks
daniel

@ 2010-06-28  1:00 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-06-28  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mahler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Daniel,

The ob.el file (referenced by ob-table.el) is now explicitly requiring
'outline which provides the show-all function.  Hopefully this will fix
the issue below, please let me know if it doesn't -- I'm unable to
reproduce this problem on my install and I think it may have something
to do with using either an old Emacs, or using the emacs provided by
default on Macs.

Thanks -- Eric

Daniel Mahler <dmahler@gmail.com> writes:

> i get:

> In toplevel form:
> lisp/babel/ob-table.el:54:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: show-all
> make: *** [lisp/babel/ob-table.elc] Error 1
>
> i have tried 'make clean; git pull; make'' over several days with no change.
> this must have happeed only last week or so,
> since i had a sucessful sync not long before this started.
>
> thanks
> daniel

* Re: Re: org-mode stopped compiling recently
@ 2010-06-28  1:01   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-06-28  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mahler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hopefully once your make is completing without errors this problem will
resolve itself.  Best -- Eric

@ 2010-06-28  5:50     ` Daniel Mahler
From: Daniel Mahler @ 2010-06-28  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the looking into this.
It looks like the problem is the declare-function macro does not work
with emacs-22.1 (the one in ubuntu hardy)
It is defined, but undocumented.
Adding
(defmacro declare-function (FN FILE &optional ARGLIST FILEONLY) nil)
at the top of ob.el seems to fix everything.

cheers
Daniel

@ 2010-06-28  5:58       ` Daniel Mahler
From: Daniel Mahler @ 2010-06-28  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Daniel Mahler <dmahler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the looking into this.
> It looks like the problem is the declare-function macro does not work
> with emacs-22.1 (the one in ubuntu hardy)
> It is defined, but undocumented.
> Adding
> (defmacro declare-function (FN FILE &optional ARGLIST FILEONLY) nil)
> at the top of ob.el seems to fix everything.

Actually I still need (require 'org) with (require 'org-install),
but I do seem to have a working org-mode.

@ 2010-06-28  6:15       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-06-28  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mahler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Daniel, I've just applied this fix. -- Eric

@ 2010-06-28  7:22         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-28  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Daniel Mahler, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 28, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Thanks Daniel, I've just applied this fix. -- Eric

Hi Eric,

alternatively you could have done

(require 'org-macs)
or
(require 'org)

In fact, would it not be reasonable to require org in ob.el?

- Carsten

> Daniel Mahler <dmahler@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Thanks for the looking into this.
>> It looks like the problem is the declare-function macro does not work
>> with emacs-22.1 (the one in ubuntu hardy)
>> It is defined, but undocumented.
>> Adding
>> (defmacro declare-function (FN FILE &optional ARGLIST FILEONLY) nil)
>> at the top of ob.el seems to fix everything.
>>
>> cheers
>> Daniel
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Eric Schulte
>> <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hopefully once your make is completing without errors this problem
>>> will
>>> resolve itself.  Best -- Eric

- Carsten

* Re: Re: org-mode stopped compiling recently
@ 2010-06-28 15:06           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-06-28 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Daniel Mahler, emacs-orgmode

> On Jun 28, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> Thanks Daniel, I've just applied this fix. -- Eric
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> alternatively you could have done
>
> (require 'org-macs)
> or
> (require 'org)
>
> In fact, would it not be reasonable to require org in ob.el?

If I add (require 'org) to ob.el, I get the following error

  In toplevel form:
  lisp/org.el:115:1:Error: Recursive `require' for feature `ob'
  make: *** [lisp/org.elc] Error 1

as a consequence of requiring ob.el from within org.el.

If there's a better solution please let me know what I should do.

Thanks -- Eric

@ 2010-06-28 16:12             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-28 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Daniel Mahler, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:06 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Jun 28, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Daniel, I've just applied this fix. -- Eric
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> alternatively you could have done
>>
>> (require 'org-macs)
>> or
>> (require 'org)
>>
>> In fact, would it not be reasonable to require org in ob.el?
>>

> If I add (require 'org) to ob.el, I get the following error
>
>  In toplevel form:
>  lisp/org.el:115:1:Error: Recursive `require' for feature `ob'
>  make: *** [lisp/org.elc] Error 1

Ah, I see.

there are these solutions

1. require only org-macs, not org

2. Do not (require ob) in org-mode at all, but make it one of the
modules
    in org-modules, default on.  Org modules works around the recursive
    require by only loading the files when org-mode is activted in
    a file for the first time.  By then, `org' was provided and no
    conflict occurs.

3. Put the require statement for ob after the (provide 'org)

I think either 1 or 2 are good solutions.

- Carsten

> as a consequence of requiring ob.el from within org.el.
>
> If there's a better solution please let me know what I should do.
>
> Thanks -- Eric
>

>> - Carsten

>> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Re: org-mode stopped compiling recently
@ 2010-06-28 18:39               ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-06-28 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Daniel Mahler, emacs-orgmode

[...]
> Ah, I see.
>
> there are these solutions
>
> 1. require only org-macs, not org

went with this approach.  Thanks -- Eric