emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* LaTeX special characters 8.3.1
@ 2015-08-08 18:19 Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2015-08-08 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

Until 8.3.1, I needed to use \% in an org document in order to get the %
symbol displayed when exporting to LaTeX. I just discovered that \%
messes up the exported document, and that using % only works. I've also
experimented with \$ and $ and found the same behavior.

I've looked through the 8.3.1 changes document, but I can't find
reference to this change. Since I use special characters frequently, I
need more information about this change. Where can I find it?

Scott Randby

* Re: LaTeX special characters 8.3.1
@ 2015-08-08 18:24 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-08-08 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-org list

On 2015-08-08 at 14:19, Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:
> Until 8.3.1, I needed to use \% in an org document in order to get the %
> symbol displayed when exporting to LaTeX. I just discovered that \%
> messes up the exported document, and that using % only works. I've also
> experimented with \$ and $ and found the same behavior.
>
> I've looked through the 8.3.1 changes document, but I can't find
> reference to this change. Since I use special characters frequently, I
> need more information about this change. Where can I find it?

I export to LaTeX with pre-8.3 and now 8.3 and do not escape % and $.

  -k.

* Re: LaTeX special characters 8.3.1
@ 2015-08-08 18:52 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-08 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> Until 8.3.1, I needed to use \% in an org document in order to get the
> % symbol displayed when exporting to LaTeX. I just discovered that \%
> messes up the exported document, and that using % only works. I've
> also experimented with \$ and $ and found the same behavior.
>
> I've looked through the 8.3.1 changes document, but I can't find
> reference to this change. Since I use special characters frequently, I
> need more information about this change. Where can I find it?

% Is exported as "\%" in latex.

$ is a mess.  It's uses some heuristic to determine if it's a math snippet
or a currency symbol.

You can always use a snippet, @@latex:%@@ which is exported literally in
the backend before the colon.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Er du tosset for noge' lårt!

* Re: LaTeX special characters 8.3.1
@ 2015-08-08 19:00   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2015-08-08 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus, emacs-orgmode

On 08/08/2015 02:52 PM, Rasmus wrote:
> Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Until 8.3.1, I needed to use \% in an org document in order to get the
>> % symbol displayed when exporting to LaTeX. I just discovered that \%
>> messes up the exported document, and that using % only works. I've
>> also experimented with \$ and $ and found the same behavior.
>>
>> I've looked through the 8.3.1 changes document, but I can't find
>> reference to this change. Since I use special characters frequently, I
>> need more information about this change. Where can I find it?
>
> % Is exported as "\%" in latex.
>
> $ is a mess.  It's uses some heuristic to determine if it's a math snippet
> or a currency symbol.
>
> You can always use a snippet, @@latex:%@@ which is exported literally in
> the backend before the colon.
>
> Hope it helps,

Yes, that helps. Thank you.

@ 2015-08-16 13:03   ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2015-08-16 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rasmus,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Until 8.3.1, I needed to use \% in an org document in order to get the
>> % symbol displayed when exporting to LaTeX. I just discovered that \%
>> messes up the exported document, and that using % only works. I've
>> also experimented with \$ and $ and found the same behavior.
>>
>> I've looked through the 8.3.1 changes document, but I can't find
>> reference to this change. Since I use special characters frequently, I
>> need more information about this change. Where can I find it?
>
> % Is exported as "\%" in latex.
>
> $ is a mess.  It's uses some heuristic to determine if it's a math snippet
> or a currency symbol.
>
> You can always use a snippet, @@latex:%@@ which is exported literally in
> the backend before the colon.

Did you find the change we could document in ORG-NEWS?

--
 Bastien

* Re: LaTeX special characters 8.3.1
@ 2015-08-16 14:00     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-16 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bzg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Rasmus,
>
> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Until 8.3.1, I needed to use \% in an org document in order to get the
>>> % symbol displayed when exporting to LaTeX. I just discovered that \%
>>> messes up the exported document, and that using % only works. I've
>>> also experimented with \$ and $ and found the same behavior.
>>>
>>> I've looked through the 8.3.1 changes document, but I can't find
>>> reference to this change. Since I use special characters frequently, I
>>> need more information about this change. Where can I find it?
>>
>> % Is exported as "\%" in latex.
>>
>> $ is a mess.  It's uses some heuristic to determine if it's a math snippet
>> or a currency symbol.
>>
>> You can always use a snippet, @@latex:%@@ which is exported literally in
>> the backend before the colon.
>
> Did you find the change we could document in ORG-NEWS?

AFAIK there's no change in 8.3.  If you export a document consisting of
"$ %" with ox-latex with 8.2.10 you also get "\$ \%".

Rasmus

--
Lasciate ogni speranza o voi che entrate: siete nella mani di'machellaio

* Re: LaTeX special characters 8.3.1
@ 2015-08-16 14:15       ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2015-08-16 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> AFAIK there's no change in 8.3.  If you export a document consisting of
> "$ %" with ox-latex with 8.2.10 you also get "\$ \%".

Okay, thanks for confirming,

--
 Bastien