emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Exporting an org-file to multiple html pages
@ 2015-08-31 10:16 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2015-08-31 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

I am writing a relatively extensive document in org, and I am currently
trying to figure out how to split the exported html into multiple html
pages.

Is publishing along the lines of this tutorial still the best way to do
it?

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.html

In other words, do I need to split one org file into multiple org files
and then build the links between them manually? That is, is there no way
to automatically have top level "chapters" split into pages with links
between chapters?

Thanks!

Jarmo

* Re: Exporting an org-file to multiple html pages
@ 2015-08-31 11:43 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-08-31 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-08-31, at 12:16, Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am writing a relatively extensive document in org, and I am currently
> trying to figure out how to split the exported html into multiple html
> pages.
>
> Is publishing along the lines of this tutorial still the best way to do
> it?
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.html
>
> In other words, do I need to split one org file into multiple org files
> and then build the links between them manually? That is, is there no way
> to automatically have top level "chapters" split into pages with links
> between chapters?

Does this help?

https://github.com/mbork/org-one-to-many

Its purpose is to split an Org file into many pieces (either giving
a level, or marking the headlines to be split with a :split: tag),
modifying internal links so that they still point to the same places
(even though in different files).  Then you can export these files
individually to HTML.

I think splitting the Org file is a better idea than splitting the
produced HTML file: it seems both easier and maybe more versatile (you
are not restricted to HTML then).

Notice that if you have some configs (like #+OPTIONS etc.), it might be
a good idea to move them to a separate heading marked with :config: and
:noexport: tags.

The entry point is the =org-one-to-many= function.

It currently lacks proper documentation, but see its docstring for some
help.  Also, feel free to ask me.

Currently, the .el file lacks a proper header, too - I'll add it later
(maybe even today).

> Thanks!
>
> Jarmo

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Exporting an org-file to multiple html pages
@ 2015-09-01  9:07   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2015-09-01  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I am writing a relatively extensive document in org, and I am
>> currently trying to figure out how to split the exported html into
>> multiple html pages.

> Does this help?
>
> https://github.com/mbork/org-one-to-many

Greetings Marcin.

Looks inviting. The built-in html exporter desperately needs something
like this.

I have to be prepared to share my org-file(s) of this project with other
people, so I am avoiding code outside the standard org distribution. Now
if only that famous *someone* would incorporate your solution into the
core.

The one thing that would need to be added, if I understand your solution
correctly, is an index and automatic links to index, prev, next etc.

@ 2015-09-01  9:39     ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2015-09-01  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

If you want a fancier solution : http://renard.github.io/o-blog-v2/
It works pretty well.

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Popineau
-----------------------------

* Re: Exporting an org-file to multiple html pages
@ 2015-09-01  9:41     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-09-01  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-09-01, at 11:07, Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>>> I am writing a relatively extensive document in org, and I am
>>> currently trying to figure out how to split the exported html into
>>> multiple html pages.
>
>> Does this help?
>>
>> https://github.com/mbork/org-one-to-many
>
> Greetings Marcin.
>
> Looks inviting. The built-in html exporter desperately needs something
> like this.
>
> I have to be prepared to share my org-file(s) of this project with other
> people, so I am avoiding code outside the standard org distribution. Now
> if only that famous *someone* would incorporate your solution into the
> core.

That is non-trivial due to licensing issues.  When (and if) I sign the
FSF papers, this might be easier.  I'll look into it.

> The one thing that would need to be added, if I understand your solution
> correctly, is an index and automatic links to index, prev, next etc.

If you prepare your file so that all headlines get split, the main file
"becomes" the index file.  (The =bullets= parameter should help with
that, but unfortunately it doesn't really work very well.)

I may try to add such a feature anyway.  It requires a bit of thinking,
though, since which headlines exactly are split into their own files is
rather general, so the very meaning of "next" might not really be
obvious.

> Thanks,
>
> Jarmo

Best,