emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
@ 2015-12-07 21:08 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-12-07 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I often include images in my org documents and would like to properly
cite the license, and/or author. I was thinking that this could be
simplified by:

* embedding the license/author information in some metadata of the jpg
  or png file (it seems that some standard called xmp can be used to
  embed data in png/jpg [fn:1]) preferably using some emacs tool

* getting org to add a footnote with this information when linking to a
  file with this kind of information.

Could it be done ? Do you know of an emacs package providing read/write
access to this metadata ?

Footnotes:

[fn:1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Metadata_Platform

* Re: Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
@ 2015-12-07 21:30 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-12-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I often include images in my org documents and would like to properly
> cite the license, and/or author. I was thinking that this could be
> simplified by:
>
> * embedding the license/author information in some metadata of the jpg
>   or png file (it seems that some standard called xmp can be used to
>   embed data in png/jpg [fn:1]) preferably using some emacs tool
>
> * getting org to add a footnote with this information when linking to a
>   file with this kind of information.
>
> Could it be done ? Do you know of an emacs package providing read/write
> access to this metadata ?

You could probably use exiftool with org-babel or dynamic blocks to
extract the required data and generated the syntax you want.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
ツ

* Re: Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
@ 2015-12-08  8:21 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-12-08  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Monday,  7 Dec 2015 at 22:08, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> I often include images in my org documents and would like to properly
> cite the license, and/or author. I was thinking that this could be
> simplified by:
>
> * embedding the license/author information in some metadata of the jpg
>   or png file (it seems that some standard called xmp can be used to
>   embed data in png/jpg [fn:1]) preferably using some emacs tool

I use jhead for adding a copyright statement to my photos (in
JPEG).
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.5.1, Org release_8.3.2-379-g38fd09

* Re: Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
@ 2015-12-08  9:45   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-12-08  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> You could probably use exiftool with org-babel or dynamic blocks to
> extract the required data and generated the syntax you want.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll give it a try with
image-dired-get-exif-data, and image-dired-set-exif-data. There doesn't
seem to be an interactive use for the latter, that's unfortunate: you
can't add an exif tag from dired.

Julien.

* Re: Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
@ 2015-12-08 10:14   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-12-08 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Monday,  7 Dec 2015 at 22:08, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
>> I often include images in my org documents and would like to properly
>> cite the license, and/or author. I was thinking that this could be
>> simplified by:
>>
>> * embedding the license/author information in some metadata of the jpg
>>   or png file (it seems that some standard called xmp can be used to
>>   embed data in png/jpg [fn:1]) preferably using some emacs tool
>
> I use jhead for adding a copyright statement to my photos (in
> JPEG).

Thanks, is there a dedicated field for copyright statements ? Did some
good soul already code some lisp around it ?

Julien.

* Re: Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
@ 2015-12-08 10:15   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-12-08 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2015-12-08 11:06 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-12-08 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Cubizolles writes:

> I often include images in my org documents and would like to properly
> cite the license, and/or author.

This is usually done manually in a citation in the caption I think.

>I was thinking that this could be
> simplified by:
>
> * embedding the license/author information in some metadata of the jpg
>   or png file (it seems that some standard called xmp can be used to
>   embed data in png/jpg [fn:1]) preferably using some emacs tool

Making the xml would not be too difficult in emacs, but I guess you
would have to call some external program to insert xmp into the images.

> * getting org to add a footnote with this information when linking to a
>   file with this kind of information.

This would not work reliably. I could imagine an insert figure link
which would check for the data and do that, or perhaps a
post-insert-link hook function, but neither of these would work if you
simply type in a link. What should happen with images that don't contain
the data?

> Could it be done? Do you know of an emacs package providing read/write
> access to this metadata?

None I know of. I looked at something similar for pdf, but did not find
anything but external programs.

> Footnotes:
>
> [fn:1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Metadata_Platform

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
@ 2015-12-08 13:55   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-12-08 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> This is usually done manually in a citation in the caption I think.

I'm using it for beamer presentations for teaching, I'd rather have them
all at the end of the pdf.

> This would not work reliably. I could imagine an insert figure link
> which would check for the data and do that, or perhaps a
> post-insert-link hook function, but neither of these would work if you
> simply type in a link. What should happen with images that don't contain
> the data?

I guess being able to write and read the metadata from emacs would be
enough for now.

> None I know of. I looked at something similar for pdf, but did not find
> anything but external programs.

As I mentioned image-dired has image-dired-set-exif-data and
image-dired-get-exif-data: it might be useful.

Julien.

* Re: Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
@ 2015-12-09  8:11     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-12-09  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday,  8 Dec 2015 at 11:15, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Monday,  7 Dec 2015 at 22:08, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
>>> I often include images in my org documents and would like to properly
>>> cite the license, and/or author. I was thinking that this could be
>>> simplified by:
>>>
>>> * embedding the license/author information in some metadata of the jpg
>>>   or png file (it seems that some standard called xmp can be used to
>>>   embed data in png/jpg [fn:1]) preferably using some emacs tool
>>
>> I use jhead for adding a copyright statement to my photos (in
>> JPEG).
>
> Thanks, is there a dedicated field for copyright statements ? Did some
> good soul already code some lisp around it ?

No idea to both of those.  I use the -cl option for jhead:

-cl string
 Replace comment with specified string from command line file
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.2-379-g38fd09