emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Editing Quote blocks remotely
@ 2016-04-07  9:51 Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-04-07  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

It would be nice if one could open an editing buffer for quote blocks,
e.g. using C-c '.

I guess we could use the code already used for remote footnote editing in
org-src.el (I think) or whatever is being used for example blocks.  The
mode should be Org, I guess.

It might be nice to support remote editing for VERSE as well.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Vote for Dick Taid in an election near you!

* Re: Editing Quote blocks remotely
@ 2016-04-07 12:08 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-07 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> It would be nice if one could open an editing buffer for quote blocks,
> e.g. using C-c '.
>
> I guess we could use the code already used for remote footnote editing in
> org-src.el (I think) or whatever is being used for example blocks.  The
> mode should be Org, I guess.
>
> It might be nice to support remote editing for VERSE as well.
>
> WDYT?

I'm not sure to understand the "remote" part in your idea. Point is on
the quote/verse block when you call C-c '. You can as well mark the
block and narrow to it. There is already a function for that:
`org-narrow-to-block'.

Also, quote blocks are quite different from example blocks since they
can contain other elements, including other blocks. This can lead to
surprising behaviour, IMO.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Editing Quote blocks remotely
@ 2016-04-07 12:30   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-04-07 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> It would be nice if one could open an editing buffer for quote blocks,
>> e.g. using C-c '.
>>
>> I guess we could use the code already used for remote footnote editing in
>> org-src.el (I think) or whatever is being used for example blocks.  The
>> mode should be Org, I guess.
>>
>> It might be nice to support remote editing for VERSE as well.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I'm not sure to understand the "remote" part in your idea. Point is on
> the quote/verse block when you call C-c '. You can as well mark the
> block and narrow to it. There is already a function for that:
> `org-narrow-to-block'.

With org-narrow-to-block you have to pay attention to the boundaries of
the block, but indeed it goes most of the way.  Of course it’s trivial to
fix that.

The nice part would be to be able to edit the content of the block in a
different buffer.  It’s good for dumping passages and doing further
editing (e.g. and emphases).

> Also, quote blocks are quite different from example blocks since they
> can contain other elements, including other blocks. This can lead to
> surprising behaviour, IMO.

I’m not sure I see how that’s relevant in this case, but I could easily be
overlooking some detail.

Rasmus

--
You people at the NSA are becoming my new best friends!

* Re: Editing Quote blocks remotely
@ 2016-04-07 14:00     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-07 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> With org-narrow-to-block you have to pay attention to the boundaries of
> the block, but indeed it goes most of the way.  Of course it’s trivial to
> fix that.
>
> The nice part would be to be able to edit the content of the block in a
> different buffer.  It’s good for dumping passages and doing further
> editing (e.g. and emphases).

C-x o C-x n b (modulo the block markers to ignore)

>> Also, quote blocks are quite different from example blocks since they
>> can contain other elements, including other blocks. This can lead to
>> surprising behaviour, IMO.
>
> I’m not sure I see how that’s relevant in this case, but I could easily be
> overlooking some detail.

At every buffer position within an example block, `org-element-at-point'
returns an example-block element. This is not true for quote blocks.
IOW, it may not be always obvious that you are within a quote block.

Regards,