emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* ox-texinfo: empty line before "* Menu:" is missing
@ 2016-04-06 17:51 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2016-04-06 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

Given this Org file

  #+TITLE: Demo Manual
  #+TEXINFO_DIR_CATEGORY: Emacs
  #+TEXINFO_DIR_TITLE: Demo: (demo).
  #+TEXINFO_DIR_DESC: Demo.

  * Missing empty line

  There is text between the heading and the menu

  ** There is text before this menu
  ** the empty line before Menu IS missing

  * Has empty line

  ** There is no text between heading and this menu
  ** the empty line before Menu is NOT missing

using C-c C-e i i produces a texi file containing

  There is text between the heading and the menu
  @menu

and an info file containing

  There is text between the heading and the menu
  * Menu:

and that is then also displayed like that in Info.  But there should be
an empty line before "* Menu:".

This can be fixed in `org-texinfo-make-menu' by replacing
"@menu\n%s@end menu" with "\n@menu\n%s@end menu".  In rare cases (which
I have not further investigated) this change leads to two empty lines in
the texi file where there should only be one, but these two empty lines
won't make it into the info file, which after all is what really matters
here, after all that's what the end-user will be looking at.

The behavior is currently the same in "maint" and "master".

  Best regards,
  Jonas

* Re: ox-texinfo: empty line before "* Menu:" is missing
@ 2016-04-06 18:57 ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2016-04-06 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The related `org-texinfo--build-menu' has a similar issue.  Unlike
`org-texinfo-make-menu' which may end up not inserting a newline
when it should, it may end up removing a newline when it should not.

Given this Org file:

  #+TITLE: Demo2 Manual
  #+TEXINFO_DIR_CATEGORY: Emacs
  #+TEXINFO_DIR_TITLE: Demo2: (demo2).
  #+TEXINFO_DIR_DESC: Demo2.

  * chapter ends with subsection

  ** section

  *** subsection

  * chapter ends with section

  ** just a section

  * another chapter

we end up with an info file containing

  * subsection::
  chapter ends with section

but there should be an empty line between these two lines.

This only happens if the preceeding chapter ends with a subsection.
If that ends with section then everything is good.  There might be
other instances where `org-texinfo--build-menu' removes to much
whitespace.

My suggestion is to remove `org-element-normalize-string' from
`org-texinfo--build-menu'.  Again this change might result in some
insignificant whitespace not being removed and again that is better
than removing significant whitespace.

Without doing this the detailed note listing would look like this:

  — The Detailed Node Listing —

  chapter ends with subsection                    # bold

  * section::                                     # empty line follows

  section                                         # bold

  * subsection::                                  # no empty line follows
  chapter ends with section                       # not bold

  * just a section:

Ps: In both cases you might find better solutions which not only never
    omit necessary whitespace but also never keep/add unnecessary
    whitespace.  But for me just not removing/not adding necessary
    whitespace would be good enough and I believe that the changes I
    have suggested accomplish that.

* Re: ox-texinfo: empty line before "* Menu:" is missing
@ 2016-04-06 20:28 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> Given this Org file
>
>   #+TITLE: Demo Manual
>   #+TEXINFO_DIR_CATEGORY: Emacs
>   #+TEXINFO_DIR_TITLE: Demo: (demo).
>   #+TEXINFO_DIR_DESC: Demo.
>
>   * Missing empty line
>
>   There is text between the heading and the menu
>
>   ** There is text before this menu
>   ** the empty line before Menu IS missing
>
>   * Has empty line
>
>   ** There is no text between heading and this menu
>   ** the empty line before Menu is NOT missing
>
> using C-c C-e i i produces a texi file containing
>
>   There is text between the heading and the menu
>   @menu
>
> and an info file containing
>
>   There is text between the heading and the menu
>   * Menu:
>
> and that is then also displayed like that in Info.  But there should be
> an empty line before "* Menu:".

Fixed. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: ox-texinfo: empty line before "* Menu:" is missing
@ 2016-04-06 20:29   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-06 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@ 2016-04-08  9:47   ` Jonas Bernoulli