* Exporting from Org to Gift/Aiken or other quiz formats
@ 2021-01-13 11:31 Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-01-13 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode, Fraga, Eric

Hi everyone,

I've started to develop online teaching materials with Moodle (
https://moodle.com/), and I'm looking for ways to generate my content using
Org as much as possible.

For quizzes, Moodle can import various known question/answer formats,
including GIFT, Aiken, Moodle's own XML format, and a few others:

- Aiken format
- Blackboard
- Embedded answers (Cloze)
- Examview
- GIFT format
- Missing word format
- Moodle XML format
- WebCT format

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or pointers to existing ways
of exporting from Org to some of these formats.

Eric: I found this old thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-08/msg01219.html -
did you ever develop or find a way to do the export? Otherwise I might take
a shot at it, using Marcin's code as a starting point.

Thanks in advance!
--Diego

* Re: Exporting from Org to Gift/Aiken or other quiz formats
@ 2021-01-13 11:51 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-01-13 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Diego,

I did not manage to develop an exporter for moodle.  I did write a very
hackish awk script that takes a sort of org document (i.e. it is an org
document but has to follow a strict layout) and creates a Moodle XML
format file.

Lots of introspection of exported Moodle quizzes to figure out some of
the basics...  What I've got does the job so long as you only want
multiple choice questions and numeric answer questions (with tolerances)
and provides question specific feedback.  As I said, very hackish...

I would love to be able to export from org, mind you.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.4-179-g5b5c42

* Re: Exporting from Org to Gift/Aiken or other quiz formats
@ 2021-01-13 11:59   ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-01-13 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni, Org-mode

Hi Eric,

> I did not manage to develop an exporter for moodle.  I did write a very
> hackish awk script that takes a sort of org document (i.e. it is an org
> document but has to follow a strict layout) and creates a Moodle XML
> format file.
>
> Lots of introspection of exported Moodle quizzes to figure out some of
> the basics...  What I've got does the job so long as you only want
> multiple choice questions and numeric answer questions (with tolerances)
> and provides question specific feedback.  As I said, very hackish...

Thanks! I found there is http://www.qml2xml.pro/, which is a custom markup
language for quizzes, and from which Moodle XML can be exported.
Unfortunately the tool seems to be online-only, no downloadable version I
could find. And also, the QML format is a bit strange.

I also started exploring the Moodle XML format, but I was happy to discover
Moodle can also import other formats. I think I might stick to GIFT, Aiken
or some other text-based format, since they seem easier to manipulate
(albeit of course less powerful).

My ultimate ideal goal would be to be able to export a whole Org document
into the whole contents of a course, including Books/pages (not sure yet if
Moodle can import Markdown or something else), quizzes, etc. But quizzes
would be a good start :)

I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything.

@ 2021-01-13 12:04     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-01-13 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

On Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 12:59, Diego Zamboni wrote:
> I also started exploring the Moodle XML format, but I was happy to discover
> Moodle can also import other formats. I think I might stick to GIFT, Aiken
> or some other text-based format, since they seem easier to manipulate
> (albeit of course less powerful).

Yeah, I looked at the text based ones.  For some reason, I ended up with
XML (which I do not particularly like) but I cannot remember why!

> I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything.

Please do!  Thank you.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.4-179-g5b5c42