emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Preferred posting style
@ 2023-10-30 15:55 yaxp
From: yaxp @ 2023-10-30 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Which posting style is preferable in this list?

Top or Bottom.

--
(yaxp me) => t

* Re: Preferred posting style
@ 2023-10-30 16:43 ` Fraga, Eric
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-10-30 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yaxp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Monday, 30 Oct 2023 at 21:25, yaxp wrote:
> Which posting style is preferable in this list?
>
> Top or Bottom.

Bottom, definitely.
(at least, from my point of view)
Thank you.
--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6.7-661-g34ee6f in Emacs 30.0.50

* Re: Preferred posting style
@ 2023-10-31 20:42 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2023-10-31 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yaxp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

yaxp <yaxp@cock.li> writes:

> Which posting style is preferable in this list?

Interleaved and bottom posting are preferred.

Top posting should definitely be avoided.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Preferred posting style
@ 2023-11-01  3:58 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-11-01  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yaxp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

yaxp <yaxp@cock.li> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Which posting style is preferable in this list?
>
> Top or Bottom.

A decades old argument.  Top makes it easier for many mail readers to
slice off all the previous thread history (which the reader has in
the message,

Most Emacs related mailing lists / newsgroups prefer bottom.

--
David Masterson

* Re: Preferred posting style
@ 2023-11-01  7:09   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-11-01  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 08:58:32PM -0700, David Masterson wrote:
> yaxp <yaxp@cock.li> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Which posting style is preferable in this list?
> >
> > Top or Bottom.
>
> A decades old argument.  Top makes it easier for many mail readers to
> slice off all the previous thread history (which the reader has in
> the message,
>
> Most Emacs related mailing lists / newsgroups prefer bottom.

Let me add that top posting, while it might kind-of-work for personal
mail breaks down spectacularly in mailing lists.

A mixture of both is worse,of course :-)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Preferred posting style
@ 2023-11-01  7:32     ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-11-01  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 08:58:32PM -0700, David Masterson wrote:
>> yaxp <yaxp@cock.li> writes:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Which posting style is preferable in this list?
>> >
>> > Top or Bottom.
>>
>> A decades old argument.  Top makes it easier for many mail readers to
>> slice off all the previous thread history (which the reader has in
>> the message,
>>
>> Most Emacs related mailing lists / newsgroups prefer bottom.
>
> Let me add that top posting, while it might kind-of-work for personal
> mail breaks down spectacularly in mailing lists.
>
> A mixture of both is worse,of course :-)
>
> Cheers

Assuming the quoting of previous postings works (above there seems to be
a discrepancy between '>>' and '> >', although Gnus seems to handle
that),  is there some sort of 'bottom-postify' command which would
reorder the quotes?  I occasionally do this by hand if I find the text
makes no sense to me otherwise.

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.

* Re: Preferred posting style
@ 2023-11-01  7:43       ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-11-01  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 08:32:44AM +0100, Loris Bennett wrote:

[...]

> Assuming the quoting of previous postings works (above there seems to be
> a discrepancy between '>>' and '> >', although Gnus seems to handle
> that),  is there some sort of 'bottom-postify' command which would
> reorder the quotes?  I occasionally do this by hand if I find the text
> makes no sense to me otherwise.

ISTR there was something, not in the Emacs context, alas, and before
the First Internet Supernova (aka roughly Y2K, when Google had the
choice to either go bust or go evil).

I guess it won't work, since proper "bottom posting" is a bit more
than just putting the whole kaboodle above and your two lines below.

It takes some involvement on the responder's side to pick and choose
the parts of the message she's addressing in the response.

Perhaps, with a large language model...

More seriously: those are simply different cultures. I strongly doubt
you can bridge that with "just" a technical device (although it may
help sometimes).

Cheers
--

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Preferred posting style
@ 2023-11-01  8:29         ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-11-01  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 08:32:44AM +0100, Loris Bennett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Assuming the quoting of previous postings works (above there seems to be
>> a discrepancy between '>>' and '> >', although Gnus seems to handle
>> that),  is there some sort of 'bottom-postify' command which would
>> reorder the quotes?  I occasionally do this by hand if I find the text
>> makes no sense to me otherwise.
>
> ISTR there was something, not in the Emacs context, alas, and before
> the First Internet Supernova (aka roughly Y2K, when Google had the
> choice to either go bust or go evil).
>
> I guess it won't work, since proper "bottom posting" is a bit more
> than just putting the whole kaboodle above and your two lines below.

That maybe true.  However, it would probably cover well over 90% of my
uses-cases.  Often someone sends me a message, I bottom-post an
interleaved reply, and then the other person top-posts their answer.  In
this case would be enough just to move the other person's singly quoted,
non-interleaved text to the bottom.

> It takes some involvement on the responder's side to pick and choose
> the parts of the message she's addressing in the response.

Once the blunt bottomification has been done, I can always delete stuff
that isn't relevant, although usually I wouldn't need to do that.

> Perhaps, with a large language model...

Maybe, but then I would probably wait until one is advanced enough can
answer all my mail and deal with all follow-ups entirely on its own :-)

> More seriously: those are simply different cultures. I strongly doubt
> you can bridge that with "just" a technical device (although it may
> help sometimes).

As I think you said, the mixture of top- and bottom posting is the
worst, so it would be nice to have something to fix at least the simple
cases.

However I should probably raise the topic on the Gnus list rather than
discussing it any further here.

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.

* Re: Preferred posting style
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-11-01 10:45 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-11-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yaxp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

yaxp <yaxp@cock.li> writes:

> Which posting style is preferable in this list?

Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Preferred posting style
@ 2023-11-01 23:31           ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-11-01 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: tomas, emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 08:32:44AM +0100, Loris Bennett wrote:
>>
>>> Assuming the quoting of previous postings works (above there seems to be
>>> a discrepancy between '>>' and '> >', although Gnus seems to handle
>>> that),  is there some sort of 'bottom-postify' command which would
>>> reorder the quotes?  I occasionally do this by hand if I find the text
>>> makes no sense to me otherwise.
>>
>> ISTR there was something, not in the Emacs context, alas, and before
>> the First Internet Supernova (aka roughly Y2K, when Google had the
>> choice to either go bust or go evil).
>>
>> I guess it won't work, since proper "bottom posting" is a bit more
>> than just putting the whole kaboodle above and your two lines below.
>
> That maybe true.  However, it would probably cover well over 90% of my
> uses-cases.  Often someone sends me a message, I bottom-post an
> interleaved reply, and then the other person top-posts their answer.  In
> this case would be enough just to move the other person's singly quoted,
> non-interleaved text to the bottom.

Interesting idea, but the formats of "top posting" done by the various
mail readers is not uniform making rearragement difficult and often not
satisfying.

> However I should probably raise the topic on the Gnus list rather than
> discussing it any further here.

Probably true.  They might have some tricks.

--
David Masterson