emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Working on iPad Pro
@ 2016-01-31 17:27 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-01-31 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been using org-mode for a few years, mainly for writing blog posts
and documents, and, to a lesser extent, for keeping track of TODO items,
etc. I barely scratch the surface of what org-mode can do, and I keep
learning new bits incrementally, largely by reading this list.

I'm now almost ready to shelve my laptop and start using an iPad Pro
with the Apple "smart" keyboard. However, I haven't found a good way to
do my org-mode authoring.  I know there's org-mobile, but I don't want
to have to think about sync'ing, or try to remember where the latest
versions of my docs are as I move from one computer to another.

I've thought about using the iPad to ssh to a desktop computer, and just
running emacs on that. That might be the best solution, but the Apple
"smart" keyboard doesn't seem to have any meta key. Has anyone figured
out how to get the option key to work that way in vSSH? Or is there a
better ssh app?

Is there some other option I'm overlooking? I know there are some
"almost emacs" apps, but ... they're "almost."

BTW, I also use emacs for gnus, and for web and software development,
but org-mode is what I really need on the iPad.

Thanks!
-pd

--
----
Peter Davis

* Re: Working on iPad Pro
@ 2016-01-31 17:51 ` Ido Magal
From: Ido Magal @ 2016-01-31 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm in the same boat.

The ios app Serverauditor is the only one I've found (of many tested) that sends Alt as Meta.

You'll want to use the Homebrew color scheme otherwise the cursor is invisible. (Would be too easy if it didn't require any troubleshooting, right?)

Unfortunately C-c comes across as "pause" and I don't know how to resolve this and it's a nuisance so I've gone gui. If anyone knows the solution, please do tell.

My current preferred solution is using a Kangaroo PC and Splashtop to control it with the iPad.

Kangaroo is a display-less pocket PC running Win10. You can purchase them from newegg or the MS store.

 Splashtop is the lowest latency wireless solution I've found and (importantly) the only one that supports the smart keyboard. Previously I would use OSLinx or DuetDisplay for wired latency but with a separate Bluetooth keyboard for the PC.

The Kangaroo PC is very weak but it works well enough for emacs.

Cheers.

@ 2016-01-31 17:52 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2016-01-31 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:

> I've been using org-mode for a few years, mainly for writing blog posts and documents, and, to a lesser extent, for keeping track of TODO items, etc. I barely scratch the surface of what org-mode can do, and I keep learning new bits incrementally, largely by reading this list.
>
> I'm now almost ready to shelve my laptop and start using an iPad Pro with the Apple "smart" keyboard. However, I haven't found a good way to do my org-mode authoring.  I know there's org-mobile, but I don't want to have to think about sync'ing, or try to remember where the latest versions of my docs are as I move from one computer to another.

I'm in a similar boat with respect to mobile-org... I've set it up a
few times but just never got into it other than for being able to view
entries from afar. I also don't care for the capture/re-file mechanism
of syncing back to the mothership when I add from the phone. I've
tried emacs on Android, but typing is awful. I think having a legit
keyboard would make this awesome!

> I've thought about using the iPad to ssh to a desktop computer, and just running emacs on that. That might be the best solution, but the Apple "smart" keyboard doesn't seem to have any meta key. Has anyone figured out how to get the option key to work that way in vSSH? Or is there a better ssh app?

I'm not on ios, so maybe shouldn't comment (and I think the emacs apps
on android are pretty feature-ful, so haven't experienced what's
lacking on ios), but there appears to be this relatively simple way to
get full blown emacs on ios:
- http://gamma-level.com/iphoneos/ports/emacs

Or does that require jailbreaking (says you need development tools
available on the device)?

This reddit post suggests the ssh method, and somewhere else I read
the claim that Prompt is the best ssh app:
- https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/2dwapw/emacsish_text_editor_for_ipad/

> Is there some other option I'm overlooking? I know there are some "almost emacs" apps, but ... they're "almost."

Other than the option key, if ssh would work and the limitation is an
always-on box, could you work with a Raspberry Pi? I have one under my
desk that I've been fiddling with for a few months. Your post reminded
me that this would be an option for me on Android as well. Just
throwing it out there... ~$35 and you'd have something easily able to
handle anything Org-mode. I set mine to use a static ip address so I
can always find it.  Sorry I can't be more helpful, but those are the
options that come to mind... (basically, trying emacs itself or ssh
like you're already thinking about).
> BTW, I also use emacs for gnus, and for web and software development, but org-mode is what I really need on the iPad.

Good luck!
John

@ 2016-01-31 17:54   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2016-01-31 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:52 AM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
>>

>> I've been using org-mode for a few years, mainly for writing blog posts and documents, and, to a lesser extent, for keeping track of TODO items, etc. I barely scratch the surface of what org-mode can do, and I keep learning new bits incrementally, largely by reading this list.
>>
>> I'm now almost ready to shelve my laptop and start using an iPad Pro with the Apple "smart" keyboard. However, I haven't found a good way to do my org-mode authoring.  I know there's org-mobile, but I don't want to have to think about sync'ing, or try to remember where the latest versions of my docs are as I move from one computer to another.
>
> I'm in a similar boat with respect to mobile-org... I've set it up a
> few times but just never got into it other than for being able to view
> entries from afar. I also don't care for the capture/re-file mechanism
> of syncing back to the mothership when I add from the phone. I've
> tried emacs on Android, but typing is awful. I think having a legit
> keyboard would make this awesome!
>
>> I've thought about using the iPad to ssh to a desktop computer, and just running emacs on that. That might be the best solution, but the Apple "smart" keyboard doesn't seem to have any meta key. Has anyone figured out how to get the option key to work that way in vSSH? Or is there a better ssh app?
>>

> I'm not on ios, so maybe shouldn't comment (and I think the emacs apps
> on android are pretty feature-ful, so haven't experienced what's
> lacking on ios), but there appears to be this relatively simple way to
> get full blown emacs on ios:
> - http://gamma-level.com/iphoneos/ports/emacs
>
> Or does that require jailbreaking (says you need development tools
> available on the device)?
>
> This reddit post suggests the ssh method, and somewhere else I read
> the claim that Prompt is the best ssh app:
> - https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/2dwapw/emacsish_text_editor_for_ipad/

Adding: this is where I saw Prompt mentioned, and it happened to
appear on a thread related to the option key issue you mentioned:
- http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/48043/how-to-ssh-from-ipad-with-external-keyboard-and-emacs

So if you could learn to use Esc, sounds like ssh might be a legit option?

John

@ 2016-01-31 19:51     ` Ido Magal
From: Ido Magal @ 2016-01-31 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Peter Davis

The issue with the smart keyboard is that it does not have an ESC key.

@ 2016-01-31 20:15       ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-01-31 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the input, all. I did discover after posting this that vSSH
has a setting to make 'Alt' act as the meta key. The Apple Smart
Keyboard Cover doesn't actually have an Alt key, but ... lo and behold
... it works with the Option key! This is great for me, since it's the
same key I use for meta on my Macs, so no re-learning is required. (I
did not find an option like this in the Prompt app, though it may be
there somewhere.)

For now, this seems an adequate, though not ideal, solution. I'll have
to  use it more to see how well it works for authoring blog posts.

One irksome limitation of any ssh solution is that I can't just export
my org files to HTML and preview the results automatically. I'm sure
I'll find other issues as I start using this workflow more heavily.

Thanks,
-pd

--
----

@ 2016-02-07  6:38         ` Carlos Sosa
From: Carlos Sosa @ 2016-02-07  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> For now, this seems an adequate, though not ideal, solution. I'll have
> to  use it more to see how well it works for authoring blog posts.
>
> One irksome limitation of any ssh solution is that I can't just export
> my org files to HTML and preview the results automatically. I'm sure
> I'll find other issues as I start using this workflow more heavily.

  I might be a little bit late, but I will like to add my input on the
  experience with the semi-remote terminal experience with Emacs.

  I make use of Emacs in 4 machines that I keep in-sync with a mix of
  git and git-annex. I would recommend git-annex for your newsrc files
  and your org-mode files. One of this machines is a Chromebook, that is
  not run in developer mode, this means I don't have a typical Unix
  machine. Because of that restriction, I make use of mosh to connect to
  one of my "boxes" that has Emacs running. So everything I
  export/publish in one of this "boxes", has to be served by an HTTP
  server. That's how I overcome the restriction of the documents
  preview. Since the Chromebook already has a working browser, having a
  terminal that's able to copy/paste between the terminal (ssh/mosh) and
  the browser is crucial. I would say that's how I read my feeds from
  Gnus and other elements that can be rendered through Emacs on a
  terminal.

  The key is to be able to synchronize your "Emacs box" files and your
  Terminal(IPad, Tablet, Chromebook...) files, and to be able to copy/paste
  between both. I know of a friend that writes everything in org-mode in
  his tablet, and later pushes the content to his "Emacs box" were he
  renders, and later exports the final document.

  I'm about to try out a similar setup like the Kangaroo PC but with the
  Beaglebone Black. I've haven't had a problem with Emac's performance on
  different sizes machines, more CPUs, less CPUs, it really hasn't
  matter, it's more about the lantency of your network.