emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* adding "wrap=off" option to textarea for HTML export
@ 2016-09-08 15:49 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-08 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm preparing some documentation, exported to HTML, that includes the
output of a src block.  Because this output is rather long, I have

#+attr_html: :textarea t :height 20

before the results of the src block.  This generates the correct
<textarea> form in the HTML output.  The text area form's width is
automatically set to the text width using CSS.  The problem is that some
of the output lines in the src block results are quite long and they
wrap; this looks ugly.

To turn wrapping off, I would need to add 'wrap="off"' to the textarea
form as this option cannot be controlled using CSS unfortunately.  I
don't see any way to do this from org.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this, assuming it is possible?

Many thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476

* Re: adding "wrap=off" option to textarea for HTML export
@ 2016-09-08 17:54 ` Nick Dokos
       [not found] ` <69324c9e4bfc4fd3bd7df7882e857fd2@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-09-08 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I'm preparing some documentation, exported to HTML, that includes the
> output of a src block.  Because this output is rather long, I have
>
> #+attr_html: :textarea t :height 20
>
> before the results of the src block.  This generates the correct
> <textarea> form in the HTML output.  The text area form's width is
> automatically set to the text width using CSS.  The problem is that some
> of the output lines in the src block results are quite long and they
> wrap; this looks ugly.
>
> To turn wrapping off, I would need to add 'wrap="off"' to the textarea
> form as this option cannot be controlled using CSS unfortunately.  I
> don't see any way to do this from org.
>
> Any suggestions on how to accomplish this, assuming it is possible?

Can you add a post-processing hook? A simple text replacement might be enough.

Or modify the textarea function to understand :wrap - not sure whether Nicolas
would accept a patch though:

(defun org-html--textarea-block (element)
  "Transcode ELEMENT into a textarea block.
ELEMENT is either a src block or an example block."
  (let* ((code (car (org-export-unravel-code element)))
	 (attr (org-export-read-attribute :attr_html element)))
	    (or (plist-get attr :width) 80)
	    (or (plist-get attr :height) (org-count-lines code))
            (or (plist-get attr :wrap) "on")
	    code)))

Untested.

--
Nick

@ 2016-09-08 18:27   ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]     ` <36a89fa2bafb4a0b84ff8ad6523d61a9@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-08 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Thursday,  8 Sep 2016 at 17:54, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Can you add a post-processing hook? A simple text replacement might be enough.

Very good suggestion.  The HTML produced is quite straightforward so
this should be easy.  I'll play around.  Thanks.

> Or modify the textarea function to understand :wrap - not sure whether
> Nicolas would accept a patch though:

Would be nice...  Nicolas?

Thanks again,
eric

--

@ 2016-09-08 20:51     ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]     ` <36a89fa2bafb4a0b84ff8ad6523d61a9@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-09-08 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

> On Thursday,  8 Sep 2016 at 17:54, Nick Dokos wrote:
>> Can you add a post-processing hook? A simple text replacement might be enough.
>
> Very good suggestion.  The HTML produced is quite straightforward so
> this should be easy.  I'll play around.  Thanks.
>
>> Or modify the textarea function to understand :wrap - not sure whether
>> Nicolas would accept a patch though:
>
> Would be nice...  Nicolas?

It sounds like a good idea. However, it would also require some
documentation, even minimal.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2016-09-09  8:08   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-09  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Thursday,  8 Sep 2016 at 17:54, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Can you add a post-processing hook? A simple text replacement might be enough.

This worked very well:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports results :results none
  (defun add-wrap-to-textarea (text backend info)
    (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'html)
      (replace-regexp-in-string "<textarea " "<textarea wrap=\"off\" " text)))
  (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-final-output-functions 'add-wrap-to-textarea)
#+end_src

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.4-655-g9fb077

@ 2016-09-09 15:32 ` Clément Pit--Claudel
       [not found] ` <0960a5432ed143b18552148fd5b67941@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-09-09 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-09-08 11:49, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> To turn wrapping off, I would need to add 'wrap="off"' to the textarea
> form as this option cannot be controlled using CSS unfortunately.  I
> don't see any way to do this from org.

Hm. Doesn't the following work?

textarea {
  white-space: pre;
}

@ 2016-09-09 16:06   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit--Claudel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Friday,  9 Sep 2016 at 15:32, Clément Pit--Claudel wrote:
> On 2016-09-08 11:49, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> To turn wrapping off, I would need to add 'wrap="off"' to the textarea
>> form as this option cannot be controlled using CSS unfortunately.  I
>> don't see any way to do this from org.
>
> Hm. Doesn't the following work?
>
> textarea {
>   white-space: pre;
> }

Ah, it does!  That'll teach me to believe what I read on the
Interweb... which told me that CSS could not achieve this.  I've just
tested it and it works just fine, at least on Firefox.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa

@ 2016-09-10  9:20       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-10  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Thursday,  8 Sep 2016 at 20:51, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Thursday,  8 Sep 2016 at 17:54, Nick Dokos wrote:
>>> Or modify the textarea function to understand :wrap - not sure whether
>>> Nicolas would accept a patch though:
>>
>> Would be nice...  Nicolas?
>
> It sounds like a good idea. However, it would also require some
> documentation, even minimal.

Nicolas, given that it is actually possible to control this aspect using
CSS (white-space style), there is no need for a special attribute after
all.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476