emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Order of items after a headline in an Org outline?
@ 2019-02-09 20:39 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2019-02-09 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Is there a documented requirement of the order of things in a Org
outline?  For instance, do these things have to come directly after the
headline and, if so, in what order?  Will Org get confused otherwise?
* PROPERTY drawer
* Timestamp
* SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
* Notes

--
David

* Re: Order of items after a headline in an Org outline?
@ 2019-02-09 21:12 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2019-02-09 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi David,

David Masterson <dsmasterson@outlook.com> writes:

> Is there a documented requirement of the order of things in a Org
> outline?

My understanding is that a lot of work in recent years has gone into
making Org's syntax more consistent, and this is an ongoing effort.  So,
sometimes things still work if they're not in the proper order, but I
wouldn't count on them remaining so.  Your best bet is just to use Org's
functions for inserting and modifying these things, e.g., org-schedule
to schedule something.

You might find this helpful:
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html

> For instance, do these things have to come directly after the
> headline and, if so, in what order?  Will Org get confused otherwise?

The correct order is:

> * SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
> * PROPERTY drawer

and then notes.  (Timestamps can occur anywhere within notes.)  e.g.:

* Sample Headline
  DEADLINE: <2019-02-11 Mon> SCHEDULED: <2019-02-10 Sun>
  :PROPERTIES:
  :FOO:      bar
  :END:

Here I am typing some notes, late in the evening on [2019-02-09 Sat]

Hope that helps!

--
Best,
Richard

* Re: Order of items after a headline in an Org outline?
@ 2019-02-09 21:22 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2019-02-09 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi David,

Yes.  See https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html.

> For instance, do these things have to come directly after the
> headline and, if so, in what order?  Will Org get confused otherwise?

This is possible, I guess.

I recommend you follow the link above.  But to be explicit: the expected
order is:

HEADLINE
PLANNING
PROPERTYDRAWER

where PLANNING and PROPERTYDRAWER are optional each.

Timestamps may occur in the HEADLINE, in the PROPERTYDRAWER and below.

You may also consider to use M-x org-lint in you Org file to check these
requirements (and more.)

HTH,  Marco

* Re: Order of items after a headline in an Org outline?
@ 2019-02-10 12:31 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2019-02-10 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

David Masterson <dsmasterson@outlook.com> writes:

> Is there a documented requirement of the order of things in a Org
> outline?  For instance, do these things have to come directly after the
> headline and, if so, in what order?  Will Org get confused otherwise?
> * PROPERTY drawer
> * Timestamp
> * SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
> * Notes
>
> --
> David

I use M-x org-lint to report problems so I can manually fix them in my
org-files.  Otherwise I don't worry about the ordering.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Order of items after a headline in an Org outline?
@ 2019-02-11 22:20   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2019-02-11 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu> writes:

> Hope that helps!

Thanks
--

@ 2019-02-11 22:21   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2019-02-11 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> You may also consider to use M-x org-lint in you Org file to check these
> requirements (and more.)

org-lint  Thanks

--
David