emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Feature suggestion: highlights
@ 2010-04-15 20:15 Ali Tofigh
From: Ali Tofigh @ 2010-04-15 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

First, I want to thank everyone who has worked on creating org-mode. I
am a new user and I enjoy using org-mode a lot! Thank you for your
efforts.

Second, I have a suggestion for a feature: A new "highlight" feature
which can also be tagged and made into a todo item, just like
headlines. For example (using -:: text ::- as example begin/end pairs)

---8<-----
* journal
** group meeting [2010-02-17 Wed 14:00]
   text text text...

   -:: should try the above in project 1 ::-    :idea:
   -:: Sandy made a good point there! ::-
   -:: TODO Sandy wants me to mail her the details ::-
---8<-----

This would allow users to stay in the same level when writing their
documents instead of creating new ones with headlines. Also, it would
allow users to create todo items in the context in which they arose.

An alternative that may be easier to implement is to extend tagging
and todos to list items:

- should try the above in project 1    :idea:
- Sandy made a good point there!
- TODO Sandy wants me to mail her the details

Perhaps this has not been a feature that has been requested before.
But I believe that if it is implemented, it will be used frequently by
users. What do you think?

Cheers,
/Ali

* Re: Feature suggestion: highlights
@ 2010-04-15 23:21 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-04-15 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Tofigh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ali Tofigh <alix.tofigh@gmail.com> writes:
> An alternative that may be easier to implement is to extend tagging
> and todos to list items:
>
> - should try the above in project 1    :idea:
> - Sandy made a good point there!
> - TODO Sandy wants me to mail her the details
>
> Perhaps this has not been a feature that has been requested before.
> But I believe that if it is implemented, it will be used frequently by
> users. What do you think?

I frequently use checkboxes:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-verbatim, Size: 47 bytes --]

  - [ ] Sandy wants me to mail her the details

There is kind of such a thing you proposed: very deeply nested
headlines.

[-- Attachment #4: Type: text/x-verbatim, Size: 108 bytes --]

* Headline

  Some text... and Oups...
*********************** TODO Sandy wants me to mail her the details

Just in case you missed that one...

Best wishes

  Sebastian

* Re: Feature suggestion: highlights
@ 2010-04-16  0:44 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-16  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Tofigh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ali Tofigh <alix.tofigh@gmail.com> writes:

> First, I want to thank everyone who has worked on creating org-mode. I
> am a new user and I enjoy using org-mode a lot! Thank you for your
> efforts.
>
> Second, I have a suggestion for a feature: A new "highlight" feature
> which can also be tagged and made into a todo item, just like
> headlines. For example (using -:: text ::- as example begin/end pairs)
>
> ---8<-----
> * journal
> ** group meeting [2010-02-17 Wed 14:00]
>    text text text...
>
>    -:: should try the above in project 1 ::-    :idea:
>    -:: Sandy made a good point there! ::-
>    -:: TODO Sandy wants me to mail her the details ::-
> ---8<-----
>
> This would allow users to stay in the same level when writing their
> documents instead of creating new ones with headlines. Also, it would
> allow users to create todo items in the context in which they arose.
>
> An alternative that may be easier to implement is to extend tagging
> and todos to list items:
>
> - should try the above in project 1    :idea:
> - Sandy made a good point there!
> - TODO Sandy wants me to mail her the details
>
> Perhaps this has not been a feature that has been requested before.
> But I believe that if it is implemented, it will be used frequently by
> users. What do you think?

Hi Ali,

There are a few problems with this proposal.  Currently tags can only
live on headlines so tagging your list items and general text isn't
going to work as an org-mode tag.  I doubt this will change anytime soon.

I take meeting notes in org-mode regularly and just use lists for point
form notes which I distribute.  I have non-org-mode todo and done
entries in my notes as part of the list.  Something like this:

,----
|   - notes for meeting go here
|   - more notes
|   - TODO: remember to do something
|   - more notes
|     - DONE: did that thing
|   - etc...
`----

then I highlight the notes for the meeting and run a function to convert
the - TODO: and - DONE: entries into something easily seen in the flow
of text.

(defun bh/prepare-meeting-notes ()
  "Prepare meeting notes for email
   Take selected region and convert tabs to spaces, mark TODOs with leading >>>, and copy to kill ring for pasting"
  (interactive)
  (let (prefix)
    (save-excursion
      (save-restriction
	(narrow-to-region (region-beginning) (region-end))
	(untabify (point-min) (point-max))
	(goto-char (point-min))
	(while (re-search-forward "^\\( *-\\\) \\(TODO\\|DONE\\): " (point-max) t)
	  (replace-match (concat (make-string (length (match-string 1)) ?>) " " (match-string 2) ": ")))
	(goto-char (point-min))
	(kill-ring-save (point-min) (point-max))))))

which gives me this:

,----
|   - notes for meeting go here
|   - more notes
|   - more notes
|   - etc...
`----

then I can just paste them into some mail client and mail them to all of
the participants.  The TODO: and DONE: entries are easy to see in the
text and the body of the heading is just plain text.  I'm free to link
to these meeting notes as a reference.  If any of the TODO items in the
meeting are for me I create a separate set of TODOs for each of those --
the meeting is over and the task for the meeting is marked DONE.  The
original TODOs are easy to see in the context they were created.

It's not fancy... but it works and it's _fast_.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Feature suggestion: highlights
@ 2010-04-16 15:55   ` Ali Tofigh
From: Ali Tofigh @ 2010-04-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 19:21, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> Ali Tofigh <alix.tofigh@gmail.com> writes:
>> An alternative that may be easier to implement is to extend tagging
>> and todos to list items:
>>
>> - should try the above in project 1    :idea:
>> - Sandy made a good point there!
>> - TODO Sandy wants me to mail her the details
>>
>> Perhaps this has not been a feature that has been requested before.
>> But I believe that if it is implemented, it will be used frequently by
>> users. What do you think?
>

> I frequently use checkboxes:

I'll probably try checkboxes. Thanks for the suggestion.

> There is kind of such a thing you proposed: very deeply nested
> headlines.

But you still have the problem that once you use a headline, on any
level, then you can't continue writing in the same section as before:

* headling
  text text text
********* some todo
and now what? Now I have to create a new headline to get out of the
deeply nested headline. So I can't continue wrting text after the todo
that is directly related to the text above it.

@ 2010-04-16 16:00   ` Ali Tofigh
From: Ali Tofigh @ 2010-04-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 20:44, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>        (kill-ring-save (point-min) (point-max))))))
>
> which gives me this:
>
> ,----
> |   - notes for meeting go here
> |   - more notes
> |   - more notes
> |   - etc...
> `----
>
> then I can just paste them into some mail client and mail them to all of
> the participants.  The TODO: and DONE: entries are easy to see in the
> text and the body of the heading is just plain text.  I'm free to link
> to these meeting notes as a reference.  If any of the TODO items in the
> meeting are for me I create a separate set of TODOs for each of those --
> the meeting is over and the task for the meeting is marked DONE.  The
> original TODOs are easy to see in the context they were created.
>
> It's not fancy... but it works and it's _fast_.

Thanks for sharing that! I'll have to play around to see what works
for me. But this setup sounds really interesting. Thanks for the
elist-code too. After all these years of programming, maybe I'm
finally motivated enough to actually learn elisp. Not a small feat by
org-mode given years of resistance.

@ 2010-04-16 19:29     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-04-16 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Tofigh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ali Tofigh <alix.tofigh@gmail.com> writes:
> But you still have the problem that once you use a headline, on any
> level, then you can't continue writing in the same section as before:
>
> * headling
>   text text text
> ********* some todo
> and now what? Now I have to create a new headline to get out of the
> deeply nested headline. So I can't continue wrting text after the todo
> that is directly related to the text above it.

Ahhrg - yes. I never use this kind of todo items.

I don't know what the others think of this. But this feels wrong,
doesn't it? I'd expect an empty line to break out of the todo. Am I
missing a variable some where?

   Sebastian

* Re: Feature suggestion: highlights
@ 2010-04-16 19:54       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-16 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ali Tofigh

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Ali Tofigh <alix.tofigh@gmail.com> writes:
>> But you still have the problem that once you use a headline, on any
>> level, then you can't continue writing in the same section as before:
>>
>> * headling
>>   text text text
>> ********* some todo
>> and now what? Now I have to create a new headline to get out of the
>> deeply nested headline. So I can't continue wrting text after the todo
>> that is directly related to the text above it.
>

> Ahhrg - yes. I never use this kind of todo items.
>
> I don't know what the others think of this. But this feels wrong,
> doesn't it? I'd expect an empty line to break out of the todo. Am I
> missing a variable some where?

I believe the 'empty line breaks out' idea is for exporting inline tasks
only - they don't behave that way in regular org files IIRC.

I've tried using inline tasks but they don't work well for my meeting
notes for a few reasons:

  - They break the list if I'm making point form notes (which is what I
    normally do for meeting notes)
  - they look and act like real tasks... so they block marking the
    meeting DONE
  - they show up in the global task list even if the meeting is DONE and
    they were more for information only than real tasks.

Regards,
Bernt

* Bug in org-inlinetask - was: Re: Feature suggestion: highlights
@ 2010-04-16 21:06         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-04-16 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ali Tofigh

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Ali Tofigh <alix.tofigh@gmail.com> writes:
>>> But you still have the problem that once you use a headline, on any
>>> level, then you can't continue writing in the same section as before:
>>>
>>> * headling
>>>   text text text
>>> ********* some todo
>>> and now what? Now I have to create a new headline to get out of the
>>> deeply nested headline. So I can't continue wrting text after the todo
>>> that is directly related to the text above it.
>>

>> Ahhrg - yes. I never use this kind of todo items.
>>
>> I don't know what the others think of this. But this feels wrong,
>> doesn't it? I'd expect an empty line to break out of the todo. Am I
>> missing a variable some where?
>
> I believe the 'empty line breaks out' idea is for exporting inline tasks
> only - they don't behave that way in regular org files IIRC.

That's exactly the term I meant and I was looking for: `inline tasks'

But unfortunately empty lines do NOT break out of inline tasks.
I thought they would...

Why are they called `inline tasks' then?

If I do

  `M-x org-inlinetask-insert-task'

I get this:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-verbatim, Size: 133 bytes --]

* Headline

  Some text...
*************** TODO inline task
                Some text
*************** END

  Back in original level.

I am `Back in original level' after the `************* END'
portion.

BUT to be there, I have to adjust the depth of the nested headline AND
it still will not work in ASCII export.

Obviously, org-inlinetask.el does not regard the odd/even setting.
And ASCII export does not reagard inline tasks.

    Sebastian

* Re: Bug in org-inlinetask - was: Re: Feature suggestion: highlights
@ 2010-04-16 21:32           ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-04-16 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ali Tofigh

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
> And ASCII export does not reagard inline tasks.

ERR, Sorry - ASCII export _does_ work.

@ 2010-04-16 21:33           ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-16 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ali Tofigh

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

>>> Ahhrg - yes. I never use this kind of todo items.
>>>
>>> I don't know what the others think of this. But this feels wrong,
>>> doesn't it? I'd expect an empty line to break out of the todo. Am I
>>> missing a variable some where?
>>
>> I believe the 'empty line breaks out' idea is for exporting inline tasks
>> only - they don't behave that way in regular org files IIRC.
>

> That's exactly the term I meant and I was looking for: `inline tasks'
>
> But unfortunately empty lines do NOT break out of inline tasks.
> I thought they would...
>
> Why are they called `inline tasks' then?

I don't know :)  Maybe because they don't fold like regular tasks.  I've
really only played with this feature a little and didn't find it
particularly useful for my needs.

> If I do
>
>   `M-x org-inlinetask-insert-task'

Hmm I didn't know about this function.  I just make a regular task and
shift it to the right enough so that the stars change to indicate it's
inline (the few times I tried using it) ... so I had no end marker.
Someday I'll look at this again from a user-point-of-view.

-Bernt

@ 2010-04-16 21:47             ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-04-16 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ali Tofigh, carsten.dominik

This patch fixes the odd odd/even behaviour. I.e., it makes
`org-inlinetask-insert-task' regard `org-odd-levels-only'.

Diffed against `origin/master':

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-diff, Size: 759 bytes --]

diff --git a/lisp/org-inlinetask.el b/lisp/org-inlinetask.el
index aac338b..46a7a7e 100644
--- a/lisp/org-inlinetask.el
+++ b/lisp/org-inlinetask.el
@@ -109,9 +109,13 @@ When nil, they will not be exported."
   "Insert an inline task."
   (interactive)
   (or (bolp) (newline))
-  (insert (make-string org-inlinetask-min-level ?*) " \n"
-         (make-string org-inlinetask-min-level ?*) " END\n")
+  (let ((indent org-inlinetask-min-level))
+    (if org-odd-levels-only
+        (setq indent (- (* 2 indent) 1)))
+    (insert (make-string indent ?*) " \n"
+            (make-string indent ?*) " END\n"))
   (end-of-line -1))
+
 (define-key org-mode-map "\C-c\C-xt" 'org-inlinetask-insert-task)

 (defvar htmlp)  ; dynamically scoped into the next function

Diffed against branch `remove-compatibility-code':

[-- Attachment #4: Diffed against branch `remove-compatibility-code' --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 690 bytes --]

diff --git a/lisp/org-inlinetask.el b/lisp/org-inlinetask.el
index aac338b..6c4e397 100644
--- a/lisp/org-inlinetask.el
+++ b/lisp/org-inlinetask.el
@@ -109,8 +109,11 @@ When nil, they will not be exported."

@ 2010-04-17  1:17         ` Ali Tofigh
From: Ali Tofigh @ 2010-04-17  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 15:54, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> I believe the 'empty line breaks out' idea is for exporting inline tasks
> only - they don't behave that way in regular org files IIRC.

Sorry, but I have searched the org-mode manual without finding any
reference to it. What is an inline task?

/Ali

@ 2010-04-17  1:29           ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-17  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Tofigh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ali Tofigh <alix.tofigh@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 15:54, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>> I believe the 'empty line breaks out' idea is for exporting inline tasks
>> only - they don't behave that way in regular org files IIRC.
>
> Sorry, but I have searched the org-mode manual without finding any
> reference to it. What is an inline task?

See lisp/org-inlinetask.el.  There is a long description in the front of
the file with a description of what inline tasks are all about.

Regards,
Bernt