emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Lots of \n in ox-html output
@ 2013-09-26 20:41 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-09-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

although I did not update recently, html-export of this test org-file
suddenly includes lots of \n in the html output.

,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| * Org-mode Markup Syntax
|
| Org-mode Markup has a relatively simple syntax. Some of its most basic
| elements are listed below, for an in-debt coverage please consult the
| manuals.
|
| These and quite a lot other markup types are supported:
|
| # Levels 1 .. 8 are allowed
| ** Heading                #  Heading (level 3)
|
| Some /italic/ words mixed with *bold* words look nice, while
| _underlined_ text is a bit overkill sometimes. An unordered list like
|
| # Unordered list
|   - List item 1            #   List items
|   - List item 2
|
| or an ordered list like
|
| # Ordered list
|   1. List item 1            #  List items
|   2. List item 2
|
| look nice too.
|
| There is much more information available at the
| [[http://orgmode.org/][Orgmode]] website.
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------

here is an excerpt

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| id=\"outline-container-sec-1\" class=\"outline-2\">\n<h2
|  [...]
| too.\n</p>\n\n<p>\nThere is much more information available at the <a
| happens to export - where do all the \\n come
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------

an it look ugly in the browser too:

,------------------------------------------------------------------------

| \n\n
| \nThese and quite a lot other markup types are supported:\n
|
| \n
| \n
| \n
| 1.1 Heading # Heading (level 3)
|
| \n
| \n
|
| \nSome italic words mixed with bold words look nice, while
| underlined\ntext is a bit overkill sometimes. An unordered list like\n
|
| \n\n
| \n
| List item 1 # List items\n
| \n
| List item 2\n
| \n
| \n\n
`------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually do the export with emacs -Q and load only the necessary files
like ox-html.el.

Is this related to ox-html? Has somebody seen something like this
before? Any hints would be appreciated.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Lots of \n in ox-html output
@ 2013-09-27  8:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-09-27  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> although I did not update recently, html-export of this test org-file
> suddenly includes lots of \n in the html output.

I cannot reproduce it. Does it also happen with a minimal configuration
file?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Lots of \n in ox-html output
@ 2013-09-27  9:29   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-09-27  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

 Hello,

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> although I did not update recently, html-export of this test org-file
>> suddenly includes lots of \n in the html output.
>
> I cannot reproduce it. Does it also happen with a minimal configuration
> file?

It must be something emacsclient/server related, since it does not
happen when I call (pseudocode):

,---------------------------------------
| emacs -Q -l init.el -e org-export- ...
`---------------------------------------

but does happen with

,--------------------------------------
| emacs -Q --daemon=myserver -l init.el
| emacsclient -e org-export-...
`--------------------------------------

where init.el does _nothing_ but setting load-path and requiring the
necessary libs.

Does emacsclient behave different w.r.t to encoding line-endings or so?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Lots of \n in ox-html output
@ 2013-09-27  9:55     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-27  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:29:57AM +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
>
>  Hello,
>
> > Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> although I did not update recently, html-export of this test org-file
> >> suddenly includes lots of \n in the html output.
> >
> > I cannot reproduce it. Does it also happen with a minimal configuration
> > file?
>
> It must be something emacsclient/server related, since it does not
> happen when I call (pseudocode):
>
> ,---------------------------------------
> | emacs -Q -l init.el -e org-export- ...
> `---------------------------------------
>
> but does happen with
>
> ,--------------------------------------
> | emacs -Q --daemon=myserver -l init.el
> | emacsclient -e org-export-...
> `--------------------------------------
>
> where init.el does _nothing_ but setting load-path and requiring the
> necessary libs.

Can you try emacs -Q -l init.el where you start the server with
server-start in init.el?

--
Suvayu

* Re: Lots of \n in ox-html output
@ 2013-09-27 12:27       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-09-27 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:29:57AM +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

>> > I cannot reproduce it. Does it also happen with a minimal configuration
>> > file?
>>
>> It must be something emacsclient/server related, since it does not
>> happen when I call (pseudocode):
>>
>> ,---------------------------------------
>> | emacs -Q -l init.el -e org-export- ...
>> `---------------------------------------
>>
>> but does happen with
>>
>> ,--------------------------------------
>> | emacs -Q --daemon=myserver -l init.el
>> | emacsclient -e org-export-...
>>
>> where init.el does _nothing_ but setting load-path and requiring the
>> necessary libs.
>
> Can you try emacs -Q -l init.el where you start the server with
> server-start in init.el?

I tried, but to no avail. Seems like emacsclient somehow fiddles with
the linefeed encoding ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten