emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 10:29 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-08 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

I have some tables in comment blocks like

#+begin_comment
| Col1 | Col2  |
|    1 | Name1 |
|    2 | Name2 |
|    3 | Name3 |

#+end_comment

But within a comment org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c does not work. So I cannot
reformat the table. How can I enable it?

regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 16:36 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-12-08 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have some tables in comment blocks like
>
> #+begin_comment
> | Col1 | Col2  |
> |    1 | Name1 |
> |    2 | Name2 |
> |    3 | Name3 |
>
> #+end_comment
>
> But within a comment org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c does not work. So I cannot
> reformat the table. How can I enable it?

Use an org src block and you will be able to edit natively via
org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c.  AFAICS, this behaves like `comment' in other respects.

#+begin_src org :exports none :eval never
   | Col1 | Col2  |
   |    1 | Name1 |
   |    2 | Name2 |
   |    3 | Name3 |
#+end_src

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 17:10   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-08 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > Use an org src block and you will be able to edit natively via
   > org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c. AFAICS, this behaves like `comment' in other
   > respects.

For me in GNU emacs 25.0.50.1 and org 8.3.1 the following works

   | Col1 | Col2  |
   |    1 | Name1 |
   |    2 | Name2 |
   |    3 | Name3 | ^  |

^=cursor C-c C-c gives

   | Col1 | Col2  |   |
   |    1 | Name1 |   |
   |    2 | Name2 |   |
   |    3 | Name3 |   |

But that does not:

Here is what I am doing

#+begin_src org :exports none :eval none

   | Col1 | Col2  |
   |    1 | Name1 |
   |    2 | Name2 |
   |    3 | Name3 |^ |

#+end_src

C-c C-c

Minibuffer: evaluate this org code block on your system (yes or no)

yes

org-babel-execute-src-block: No org-babel-execute function for org!

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 17:30     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-08 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
>    > Use an org src block and you will be able to edit natively via
>    > org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c. AFAICS, this behaves like `comment' in other
>    > respects.
>
> For me in GNU emacs 25.0.50.1 and org 8.3.1 the following works
>
>    | Col1 | Col2  |
>    |    1 | Name1 |
>    |    2 | Name2 |
>    |    3 | Name3 | ^  |
>
> ^=cursor C-c C-c gives
>
>    | Col1 | Col2  |   |
>    |    1 | Name1 |   |
>    |    2 | Name2 |   |
>    |    3 | Name3 |   |
>
> But that does not:
>
> Here is what I am doing
>

> #+begin_src org :exports none :eval none
>
>    | Col1 | Col2  |
>    |    1 | Name1 |
>    |    2 | Name2 |
>    |    3 | Name3 |^ |
>
> #+end_src
>
> C-c C-c
>

> Minibuffer: evaluate this org code block on your system (yes or no)
>
> yes
>
> org-babel-execute-src-block: No org-babel-execute function for org!

You need to load ob-org.

--
Nick

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 17:36       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-08 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > You need to load ob-org.
Yes, ok I loaded it but

#+BEGIN_SRC org :exports none

| uwe  | test |   |   |^ |
| hall |      |   |   |
|      |      |   |   |

#+END_SRC

C-c C-c

Does *not* lead to

#+BEGIN_SRC org :exports none
| uwe  | test |   |   |   |
| hall |      |   |   |   |
|      |      |   |   |   |
#+END_SRC

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 18:34         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>    > You need to load ob-org.
> Yes, ok I loaded it but
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC org :exports none
>
> | uwe  | test |   |   |^ |
> | hall |      |   |   |
> |      |      |   |   |

> #+END_SRC
>
> C-c C-c
>
> Does *not* lead to
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC org :exports none
> | uwe  | test |   |   |   |
> | hall |      |   |   |   |
> |      |      |   |   |   |
> #+END_SRC

Indeed - org-at-table-p gives nil if the table is inside
a comment or inside a source block (or inside any other block
afaict).

--
Nick

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 19:07           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-08 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > Indeed - org-at-table-p gives nil if the table is inside
   > a comment or inside a source block (or inside any other block
   > afaict).

Well, how could this behavior be changed? I found it quite cumbersome.

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 19:28             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-08 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>    > Indeed - org-at-table-p gives nil if the table is inside
>    > a comment or inside a source block (or inside any other block
>    > afaict).
>
> Well, how could this behavior be changed? I found it quite cumbersome.

Well, I'm not an expert on org syntax but reading the comments of
org-element.el, I see I was wrong about the other blocks: "greater
elements" can contain other elements (e.g. tables). The list of
"greater elements" given there is

,----
| ;; Element containing other elements (and only elements) are called
| ;; greater elements.  Concerned types are: `center-block', `drawer',
| ;; `dynamic-block', `footnote-definition', `headline', `inlinetask',
| ;; `item', `plain-list', `property-drawer', `quote-block', `section'
| ;; and `special-block'.
`----

So center-blocks, quote-blocks and special blocks allow the table to
be recognized as a table, whereas comment-blocks, src-blocks and
verse-blocks do not.

Nicolas et al. will surely correct any (more) mistakes in this.

--
Nick

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 21:31               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-08 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Nick" == Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >>
   >> > Indeed - org-at-table-p gives nil if the table is inside
   >> > a comment or inside a source block (or inside any other block
   >> > afaict).
   >>
   >> Well, how could this behavior be changed? I found it quite cumbersome.

   > Well, I'm not an expert on org syntax but reading the comments of
   > org-element.el, I see I was wrong about the other blocks: "greater
   > elements" can contain other elements (e.g. tables). The list of
   > "greater elements" given there is

   > ,----
   > | ;; Element containing other elements (and only elements) are called
   > | ;; greater elements.  Concerned types are: `center-block', `drawer',
   > | ;; `dynamic-block', `footnote-definition', `headline', `inlinetask',
   > | ;; `item', `plain-list', `property-drawer', `quote-block', `section'
   > | ;; and `special-block'.
   > `----

   > So center-blocks, quote-blocks and special blocks allow the table to
   > be recognized as a table, whereas comment-blocks, src-blocks and
   > verse-blocks do not.

Ok, thanks for clarifying this. I try to convince Nicolas to customize
this behavior, such that comment-blocks could be greater elements.

@ 2015-12-08 21:39               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-08 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > Well, I'm not an expert on org syntax but reading the comments of
   > org-element.el, I see I was wrong about the other blocks: "greater
   > elements" can contain other elements (e.g. tables). The list of
   > "greater elements" given there is

   > ,----
   > | ;; Element containing other elements (and only elements) are called
   > | ;; greater elements.  Concerned types are: `center-block', `drawer',
   > | ;; `dynamic-block', `footnote-definition', `headline', `inlinetask',
   > | ;; `item', `plain-list', `property-drawer', `quote-block', `section'
   > | ;; and `special-block'.
   > `----

   > So center-blocks, quote-blocks and special blocks allow the table to
   > be recognized as a table, whereas comment-blocks, src-blocks and
   > verse-blocks do not.

The point is that I have emails which contains tables and I don't want
to send these tables. So one possibility is to use comment blocks and
org-mime-htmlize, which does not export text in comments blocks.

Are there other blocks, which are greater elements and can be configured
that they are *not* exported?

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 21:46                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-12-08 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> The point is that I have emails which contains tables and I don't want
> to send these tables. So one possibility is to use comment blocks and
> org-mime-htmlize, which does not export text in comments blocks.
>
> Are there other blocks, which are greater elements and can be configured
> that they are *not* exported?

You can use drawers for that.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-08 21:58                   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-08 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Nicolas" == Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

    > Hello,
    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

    >> The point is that I have emails which contains tables and I don't want
    >> to send these tables. So one possibility is to use comment blocks and
    >> org-mime-htmlize, which does not export text in comments blocks.
    >>
    >> Are there other blocks, which are greater elements and can be configured
    >> that they are *not* exported?

    > You can use drawers for that.

Thanks, but could you please give me any pointer?

@ 2015-12-08 22:29                   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-08 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Hello,
   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > You can use drawers for that.

No I cannot, I just found out about drawers,
however they *are* exported, when calling org-mime-htmlize, so they
don't serve my needs.

Uwe Brauer

@ 2015-12-09  1:31     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-12-09  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>   > On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
>   > Use an org src block and you will be able to edit natively via
>   > org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c. AFAICS, this behaves like `comment' in other
>   > respects.
>
> For me in GNU emacs 25.0.50.1 and org 8.3.1 the following works
>
>   | Col1 | Col2  |
>   |    1 | Name1 |
>   |    2 | Name2 |
>   |    3 | Name3 | ^  |
>
> ^=cursor C-c C-c gives
>
>   | Col1 | Col2  |   |
>   |    1 | Name1 |   |
>   |    2 | Name2 |   |
>   |    3 | Name3 |   |
>
> But that does not:
>
> Here is what I am doing
>

> #+begin_src org :exports none :eval none
>
>   | Col1 | Col2  |
>   |    1 | Name1 |
>   |    2 | Name2 |
>   |    3 | Name3 |^ |
>
> #+end_src
>
> C-c C-c

Sorry. You have to put the code into an edit buffer to be able to use
native org mode edit commands.

So with the cursor where you have indicated above,

: C-c ' C-c C-c C-c '

results in

#+begin_src org :exports none :eval none

   | Col1 | Col2  |   |
   |    1 | Name1 |   |
   |    2 | Name2 |   |
   |    3 | Name3 |   |

#+end_src

Of course, you probably want to do more editing than just the 'C-c C-c'
bit, but you get the idea - enter the src edit buffer, edit away, when you
are done exit the src edit buffer.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09  1:35       ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-12-09  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

See at bottom one more thing.

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Charles C. Berry wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>

>>   > On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>
>>   > Use an org src block and you will be able to edit natively via
>>   > org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c. AFAICS, this behaves like `comment' in other
>>   > respects.
>>
>> For me in GNU emacs 25.0.50.1 and org 8.3.1 the following works
>>
>>   | Col1 | Col2  |
>>   |    1 | Name1 |
>>   |    2 | Name2 |
>>   |    3 | Name3 | ^  |
>>
>> ^=cursor C-c C-c gives
>>
>>   | Col1 | Col2  |   |
>>   |    1 | Name1 |   |
>>   |    2 | Name2 |   |
>>   |    3 | Name3 |   |
>>
>> But that does not:
>>
>> Here is what I am doing
>>

>> #+begin_src org :exports none :eval none
>>
>>   | Col1 | Col2  |
>>   |    1 | Name1 |
>>   |    2 | Name2 |
>>   |    3 | Name3 |^ |
>>
>> #+end_src
>>
>> C-c C-c
>>

> Sorry. You have to put the code into an edit buffer to be able to use native
> org mode edit commands.
>
> So with the cursor where you have indicated above,
>
> : C-c ' C-c C-c C-c '
>
> results in

> #+begin_src org :exports none :eval none
>
>  | Col1 | Col2  |   |
>  |    1 | Name1 |   |
>  |    2 | Name2 |   |
>  |    3 | Name3 |   |
>
> #+end_src
>
> Of course, you probably want to do more editing than just the 'C-c C-c' bit,
> but you get the idea - enter the src edit buffer, edit away, when you are
> done exit the src edit buffer.

Should have said: you do NOT need ob-org for this to work on org src
blocks you have no intention of exporting.

Chuck

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09  1:48                     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-09  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > Hello,
>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>

>    > You can use drawers for that.
>
> No I cannot, I just found out about drawers,
> however they *are* exported, when calling org-mime-htmlize, so they
> don't serve my needs.

Even if you set

?

--
Nick

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09  8:40                       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-09  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Nick" == Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
    >> > Hello,
    >> > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
    >>

    >> > You can use drawers for that.
    >>
    >> No I cannot, I just found out about drawers,
    >> however they *are* exported, when calling org-mime-htmlize, so they
    >> don't serve my needs.
    >>

    > Even if you set

You mean
Hello
:test:
| this | that
:END:

That indeed works, thanks!

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09  8:45       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-09  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > Sorry. You have to put the code into an edit buffer to be able to use
   > native org mode edit commands.

I still do not understand what you mean by edit buffer, I copied
the  lines below in the *scratch* buffer (or it could be a message buffer)
   > So with the cursor where you have indicated above,

   > : C-c ' C-c C-c C-c '

Really all these keys? : C-c ' C-c C-c C-c '

Does not work for me, nothing happens. Thanks for your help,I am really
sorry, but I reproduce  your steps.

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09 11:48         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-12-09 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  9 Dec 2015 at 08:45, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Really all these keys? : C-c ' C-c C-c C-c '

Without the ":".

the sequence means edit the block in that block's language (C-c '),
update table (C-c C-c), and finish editing block and return to main text
(C-c ').
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.2-379-g38fd09

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09 13:26                         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>     > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>     >> > Hello,
>     >> > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> > You can use drawers for that.
>     >>
>     >> No I cannot, I just found out about drawers,
>     >> however they *are* exported, when calling org-mime-htmlize, so they
>     >> don't serve my needs.
>     >>

>     > Even if you set

> You mean
> Hello

> :test:
>
> | this | that
> :END:
>

> That indeed works, thanks!

OK - you can also select the drawers that you will (or will not) export.
See the doc for the variable org-export-with-drawers (which is what is
manipulated with the d: option above).

--
Nick

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09 13:29         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
>    > Sorry. You have to put the code into an edit buffer to be able to use
>    > native org mode edit commands.
>
> I still do not understand what you mean by edit buffer,

(info "(org) Editing source code")

--
Nick

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09 17:23                           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-09 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

    > OK - you can also select the drawers that you will (or will not) export.
    > See the doc for the variable org-export-with-drawers (which is what is
    > manipulated with the d: option above).

Silly question: is there any keybinding for inserting automatically

before the drawer?
I can't find anything in the documentation.

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09 17:33                             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>     > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>     > OK - you can also select the drawers that you will (or will not) export.
>     > See the doc for the variable org-export-with-drawers (which is what is
>     > manipulated with the d: option above).
>
> Silly question: is there any keybinding for inserting automatically
>
> before the drawer?
> I can't find anything in the documentation.

Not that I know of, but you can use

(info "(org) Easy templates")

to add a shortcut.

--
Nick

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09 20:00                               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-09 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

    > Not that I know of, but you can use

    > (info "(org) Easy templates")

    > to add a shortcut.

Great works nicely. Thanks

* Re: org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c  in comments
@ 2015-12-09 20:04           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-12-09 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Eric" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

   > On Wednesday,  9 Dec 2015 at 08:45, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Really all these keys? : C-c ' C-c C-c C-c '

   > Without the ":".

   > the sequence means edit the block in that block's language (C-c '),
   > update table (C-c C-c), and finish editing block and return to main text
   > (C-c ').

Ah now I understand, thanks Eric, thank you Chuck.

Not sure which solution is better the drawer or the src solution :-D