emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* table: actualise columns with formulas. (C-num C-c=)
@ 2010-06-14 11:02 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-06-14 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

Programs like OO calc allow me to actualise automatically
all rows of a column containing a formula.

Like:

Res1| Res2| Total
3   |  4  | =$1+$2
4   |  5  |
4   |  5  |
4   |  6  |
4   |  7  |
4   |  8  |
4   |  9  |

Now the only thing I have to do is copy and paste it into
the rows below that formula in the same column.
--------------------------
The closest thing I know in org mode is to use
C-6 C-c =
but of course I have to count the numbers of rows in
advance, so the question is:

Could C-c = also act on a marked column, so that I don't
have to specify the numbers of rows?

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: table: actualise columns with formulas. (C-num C-c=)
@ 2010-06-14 12:33 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-06-14 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>
> Programs like OO calc allow me to actualise automatically
> all rows of a column containing a formula.
>
> Like:
>
> Res1| Res2| Total
> 3   |  4  | =$1+$2
> 4   |  5  |
> 4   |  5  |
> 4   |  6  |
> 4   |  7  |
> 4   |  8  |
> 4   |  9  |
> Now the only thing I have to do is copy and paste it into
> the rows below that formula in the same column.

why don't you use:
| Res1| Res2| Total
| 3   |  4  | =$1+$2
| 4   |  5  |
#+TBLFM:$3=$1+S2

?
then with C-c in the "#+TBLFM:$3" line your table will be updated
I think also if you press TAB with the cursor in
the third column.

cheers
Giovanni

* Re: table: actualise columns with formulas. (C-num C-c=)
@ 2010-06-14 12:45   ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-06-14 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>> Res1| Res2| Total
>> 3   |  4  | =$1+$2
>> 4   |  5  |
>> 4   |  5  |
>> 4   |  6  |
>> 4   |  7  |
>> 4   |  8  |
>> 4   |  9  |
>> Now the only thing I have to do is copy and paste it into
>> the rows below that formula in the same column.
>
> why don't you use:

sorry I meant:
| Res1| Res2| Total|
|-----|-----|------|
| 3   |  4  |      |

@ 2010-06-14 13:50     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-06-14 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   >> why don't you use:

   > sorry I meant:
   > | Res1| Res2| Total|
   > |-----|-----|------|
   > | 3   |  4  |      |
   > | 4   |  5  |      |
   > #+TBLFM:$3=$1+S2

   > then with C-c in the "#+TBLFM:$3" line your table will be updated
   > I think also if you press TAB with the cursor in
   > the third column.

Ok so I have to type C-c C-c in the #+TBLFM:$3 line! That worked!

Before I used C-c C-c with the cursor in the table and that
did not work. May be that should be added in the documentation?

thanks

Uwe

* Re: table: actualise columns with formulas. (C-num C-c=)
@ 2010-06-14 15:25       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-06-14 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>    >>
>    >> why don't you use:
>
>    > sorry I meant:
>    > | Res1| Res2| Total|
>    > |-----|-----|------|
>    > | 3   |  4  |      |
>    > | 4   |  5  |      |
>    > #+TBLFM:$3=$1+S2
>
>    > then with C-c in the "#+TBLFM:$3" line your table will be updated
>    > I think also if you press TAB with the cursor in
>    > the third column.
>
> Ok so I have to type C-c C-c in the #+TBLFM:$3 line! That worked!
>
> Before I used C-c C-c with the cursor in the table and that
> did not work. May be that should be added in the documentation?

See section 14.5, "The very busy C-c C-c key" in the Org manual.

Nick

* Re: table: actualise columns with formulas. (C-num C-c=)
@ 2010-06-14 16:12 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-06-14 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>
> Programs like OO calc allow me to actualise automatically
> all rows of a column containing a formula.
>
> Like:
>
> Res1| Res2| Total
> 3   |  4  | =$1+$2
> 4   |  5  |
> 4   |  5  |
> 4   |  6  |
> 4   |  7  |
> 4   |  8  |
> 4   |  9  |

If you prefix the first column of the table so that it is a valid
org-mode table like this:

|Res1| Res2| Total
|3   |  4  | =$1+$2
|4   |  5  |
|4   |  5  |
|4   |  6  |
|4   |  7  |
|4   |  8  |
|4   |  9  |

Then you can just hit C-u C-u C-c C-c on the formula line and it moves
to the bottom and updates the entire table giving you this:

| Res1 | Res2 | Res1 + Res2 |
|    3 |    4 |           7 |
|    4 |    5 |           9 |
|    4 |    5 |           9 |